GTL Requirements

Started by flyguy06, December 08, 2005, 07:57:27 PM

flyguy06

Its been a while since I was GTL qualified, but I want to get back into it. I was online looking at the quals. Man, that looks like a lot. Wher edo I get the training? Do I need to find someone inthe Wing who is qualified in GTL to trainme indivisually?

Matt

It looks like a lot, especially just starring at it, but the biggest part is time.  To find someone in your wing qualified your #1 bet is your Director of ES.  I know that WMU provides a listing of all qualified individuals, but as we all know, qualified doesn't mean you are SET/TTT/TTTT/SETT  ;D (would you like some T with that)
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

MIKE

You must demonstrate proficiency in each task to and get the quals signed off by a qualified skills evaluator (and in some cases approved) for GTL.

IIRC once you have the prerequisites done for GTL supervised trainee status you can train for tasks mostly OJT, though attending an organized training for qualification would be a good idea if one is available to you.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

It seems like a lot if you take it as one lump of mashed potatoes, however a little at a time it is not any worse than other quals.

Frankly by the time you get to GT1, you should be in a good position to get the GTL tasks completed easily.

Usually the biggest challenge is mission sorties for the final sign-offs.

"That Others May Zoom"

flyguy06

Thanks guys. On thing though, and I know nobody id this on purpose, but if Iam not familiar with a subject then chances are acronyms will mean nothing to me.

I am not worried so much of passing I just want to know wher eto get the training.

Pylon

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 09, 2005, 01:47:37 PM
Thanks guys. On thing though, and I know nobody id this on purpose, but if Iam not familiar with a subject then chances are acronyms will mean nothing to me.

I am not worried so much of passing I just want to know wher eto get the training.

I have to say that the best way to get the training is either:

a) go to NESA Ground track or a similar activity/school where ES tasks are taught specifically for those wanting to learn to be on Ground Teams.  Or...

b) find someone in your area with the qualifications and SET, and get them to take you under their wing and impart their knowlegde and experiences.  They can train you and then sign you off as you progress.

If you're having difficulty finding qualified people, see if you're Wing has an alert roster you can look at.  NYWG has an alert roster, divided by Group, listing each individuals current qualifications.  A quick look at my Group's section on the PDF will tell me who has AOBD, or who is an IC, or who has GTL, etc.  I can then easily pick whom I'd like to work with and butter them up with a few brews.  :)

Good luck!
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

capchiro

Flyguy,  Georgia Wing has started offering 2-4 weekend training programs in the last tow years.  They have been outstanding and appear to be the best and fastest way to get the GTM and GTL training.  Once fully qualified, you can sign off others in the unit or offer weekend encampments to do so.  I am impressed with the amount of training and encampments offered to our members in Georgia.  We have had two weekend glider/powered flight encampments in the last six months.  It just doesn't get much better than that.  Richard Gray has come around to our squadron and I think is considering re-upping.  He was with us before and dropped out.   Work oriented, I think.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Bluelakes 13

Quote from: Eclipse on December 08, 2005, 09:01:53 PM
Frankly by the time you get to GT1, you should be in a good position to get the GTL tasks completed easily.

Usually the biggest challenge is mission sorties for the final sign-offs.

Don't forget that you do not need to be GTM1 to train for GTL. 

In other words, if you get signed off for the GTL tasks (say, at a weekend GTL training)  then you only need 4 mission participations total (two for GTM3 and two for GTL) for GTL qualification.  PRESUMING your ES Officer will approve this.

Frankly, I'd like to see people work up the GTMx ladder to get more experience. And that requires 8 missions (two each for GTM3, GTM2, GTM1 and GTL).

Matt

Quote from: jkalemis on December 09, 2005, 04:26:25 PM
Don't forget that you do not need to be GTM1 to train for GTL.

Huh?

Quote from: CAPR 60-3 Chapter 2, Sec. r, para. 1-b
Current and qualified ground team member, any level. Teams will be expected to operate to the level of the lowest supervised member.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Pace

For clarity's sake:
To train for GTL, you must be fully qualified and rated as at least a GTM level 3.  If you have a higher GTM rating, kudos to you.  If you're the GTL for your team, you can only operate at the level of the lowest rated GTM (including you).

GTM3=24 hour mission capable
GTM2=48 hour mission capable
GTM1=72+ hour mission capable

For example, if your team has you (GTL/GTM1), 3 GTM1s, 2 GTM2s, and 1 GTM3, your team is restricted to a 24 hour operational period because of the one person who is GTM3 rated.

Another example: you're the GTL of a GT that has 4 other member who are all GTM1 rated.  You, however, are only a GTM2.  Your team can only be operational for 48 hours because of your GTM level.

To be perfectly honest, I really don't understand how this "operational limit" works because I've never seen a GT not return to base or be operational for more than 12 hours.  There's really no clarification on this that I can find.  Maybe one of our resident NESA grads can clue me in here.
Lt Col, CAP

flyguy06

What is GTM1,2, and 3? WHat does all that mean? Thanks Capchiro, I'll see you next week and we can talk .

Pace

Sorry.  Those stand for Ground Team Member: Level 3, Level 2, and Level 1.  Crack open CAPR 60-3 and reference your SQTRs for those GTM levels for most specific task requirements.
Lt Col, CAP

Eclipse

Sorry from me, too - made assumptions.

Even if you had Ground ratings before, if the 1-2-3 GT ratings are new to you, you probably have a fair amount of work to do before you should worry about GTL.

Though it's possible to be a GTL-3, if you look at the GT3 rating, it's not much more than getting your gear, keeping yourself safe, and how to go potty in the woods.

Expecting to direct teams of GT1's as a new 3 will at a minimum cause frustration at the team being down-stepped in capability.

It's not just the 1-2-3 day deployment aspect (btw, for the record even a GT1 has 4 days of gear, - 24 on his person and 72 in his pack, at least in IL), but a GTL-3 team should not be tasked with doing anything not on the GT3 SQTR, because in theory the GTL would have no idea how do perform the respective task - that's a lot of stuff that team couldn't no.

Despite the theoretical possibilities, in most cases I am still in favor of working up to GT1 before acting at a GTL.

"That Others May Zoom"

Viper

Don't you need UDF to get GTL?

Eclipse

No, these are seperate and different quals.

It is a common misnomer that UDF is a "Mini-GT" rating.

In fact, if we need an analogy, UDF is more like a mini-GTL, as many of the mapping and team leader-type tasks as handled by one of the UDF people.

I generally recommend that GT-interested types tackle UDF first.

A) Its much cheaper and easier in terms of gear.

B) Many tasks are common.

C) We frnakly have much more work for UDF people than GT's in ILWG.

But again they are separate, quals, related by task, but not part of an educational curve.

"That Others May Zoom"