Mission Radio Operator

Started by Jakemiller31u, April 26, 2015, 09:18:11 PM

Jakemiller31u

So yesterday I went on my first ever Search and Rescue Training Mission. I had my bag all packed and ready to go but I ended up getting put in the communications trailer to do logs for the comms on WMIRS. I went to this training as a trainee for GTM3. I was actually kind of happy I was assigned to work with communications. This opened my eyes to a whole new aspect of Civil Air Patrol that I had no idea about. I was able to observe how calls were made and how everything worked and the senior members there even explained things to me. (I was the only cadet in the trailer).

So I decided I want to become a MRO. I took my ICUT tests this morning and soon I am hoping to get evaluated. Any tips for someone who is wanted to get into communications?

Also I have a few questions for once I get fully qualified:
Once I am fully qualified in communications, do I wear the communications patch on my BDUs?
And would I wear the blue communications badge on my blues?

Luis R. Ramos

Using the Communications Patch on the BDU, and the Communications Badge on the Blues means you have attained more knowledge on that topic of Communications than most other members.

How to attain the wear of that patch and badge by members--cadets and senior members--is discussed in CAPR 100-1 and CAPP 214. Have you read either?

That is the best way to earn the badge and patch, start by reading appropriate publications.

Hint, the question you asked is answered on CAPR 100-1 page 14.

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Jakemiller31u

I did some more searching and found the article after but it said something towards the lines of technician?

lordmonar

The comm patch and badge are awarded for getting a tech rateing in the specialty track.....not for the ES rating of MRO/CUL.

Your squadron comm officer, ES officer or your Deputy Commander for Cadets can steer you in the right direction. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Jakemiller31u

So once I get fully qualified for MRO, I would not wear anything on my uniform, unlike how if I were GTM3 Qualified I would wear a ground team patch?

JeffDG

Quote from: Jakemiller31u on April 26, 2015, 11:39:51 PM
So once I get fully qualified for MRO, I would not wear anything on my uniform, unlike how if I were GTM3 Qualified I would wear a ground team patch?

You'll qualify the ES Patch per CAPR 35-6, Para 4
Quote4. Requirements for Award of the CAP Emergency Services Patch. Qualified IAW CAPR
60-3, CAP Emergency Services Training and Operational Missions as a general emergency
services member with one additional emergency services specialty qualification.

Jakemiller31u

Also, when I was there I saw a lot of cadets with the black Search and Rescue patch. Do you get that by going to Hawk Mountain?

Luis R. Ramos

Jake, if and when you finish the studies outlined in CAPR 100-1 and CAPP 214, and your unit CC and DK approves you could wear the Comm patch on your BDU.

When you become MRO you can wear the ES patch, but again it has to be sent through channels. Go online, request it through My Ops Quals, and submit a CAPF 2a.

As Lordmonar stated, it is best to let your Chain of Command know your plans. And read the publications, so you appear knowledgeable about the issue.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

SeanM

And by the way, welcome to the world of communications.  Good communicators can sometimes be difficult to find, and it can sometimes be a pretty dry and boring job compared to some of the other more "fun" positions.  But we do need folks who enjoy that kind of work.

As stated before, CAPR 100-1 and CAPP 214 will be your friends, as will CAPR 100-3.  Use those three as your guides, and enjoy the journey.

Sean
Sean McClanahan, Lt Col, CAP
Squadron Commander, Delaware Legislative Squadron
Director of Emergency Services - Delaware Wing

Jakemiller31u

JeffDG

I remember one exercise I was ICing, and a couple of cadets were assigned to be MROs at mission base.

After the end, I was talking to one of them, and he said "It was great.  I knew what was happening in the mission before anyone else did!"

EMT-83

There's not a lot of glamour in communications, but it can make or break a mission. Good on you for wanting to take it up.

Brad

As others have said, welcome to the fascinating world of Communications. Over the years I've found that people are either scared of Comms in that they'll break the equipment or that they'll say something wrong on the radio, or they think it's boring. If you can understand the fact that, while expensive and delicate to a degree, it's actually quite hard to break a radio without effort, and if you simply think before you key up, as long as you have that interest in comms you'll be fine.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

SarDragon

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Slim

With the added benefit....

An interest in communications now just might end up turning into a career sometime down the road...

Got interested in communications at a very young age (CB in the 70s), got into it again as a cadet and senior, got the amateur license, then ended up doing it for a living.

My first job in public safety was as a 911 dispatcher.

Slim

Brad

Quote from: Slim on May 19, 2015, 08:18:50 AM
With the added benefit....

An interest in communications now just might end up turning into a career sometime down the road...

My first job in public safety was as a 911 dispatcher.

I'm the other way around, dispatching got me into CAP Comms, but CAP got me into ham radio and firefighting.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

tribalelder

Looking back, my impression is that 1/3 or more of our long term cadets-think Mitchell or beyond- end up in aviation, active duty or public safety careers. i know a few seniors who changed to public safety careers--they were the 'old guys' at their respective academies--after a few years of active CAP membership. For some of our members, we are a 'gateway' organization.
WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

Slim

I was kinda born into it too.

Third generation firefighter, second generation EMT.  Mother worked for 30 years as an OR nurse, father was a firefighter and ambulance attendant, had a brother and sister in law (firefighter/EMTs) on the job as well.

Other than high school jobs-mowing lawns and working in a grocery store, public safety is the only job I've ever had.  25 years, next spring.

Slim