MRO's days numbered?

Started by Eclipse, August 20, 2012, 10:21:04 PM

Luis R. Ramos

Woodsy-

What makes you think the AC in those vans are for people? In any data environment, the primary concern is the equipment! All those radios, computers, etc. generate heat! >:D
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

arajca

Quote from: Larry Mangum on August 21, 2012, 12:28:27 PM
Communications training is being updated. ICUT was just the beginning. next year, we hope to be teaching, what I understand will be basically, a Comm Managers course at NESA.
Will those materials be double-top secret as well?

jeders

Quote from: arajca on August 21, 2012, 01:44:50 PM
Quote from: Larry Mangum on August 21, 2012, 12:28:27 PM
Communications training is being updated. ICUT was just the beginning. next year, we hope to be teaching, what I understand will be basically, a Comm Managers course at NESA.
Will those materials be double-top secret as well?

Are you kidding, this is comm. The material will be quadruple ultra secret at least. Even the guys in the black vans from national won't have access to that stuff.  ;)
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

Info will only be released via encrypted packet connections, of course the keys are FOUO, so...

"That Others May Zoom"

Larry Mangum

I am speaking purely for myself here, but it is my understanding, that the stated goal of the upcoming changes are to create a more professional communication mindset within CAP. 
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

arajca

Quote from: Larry Mangum on August 21, 2012, 03:05:54 PM
I am speaking purely for myself here, but it is my understanding, that the stated goal of the upcoming changes are to create a more professional communication mindset within CAP.
That may be the goal, but the folks at NESA/LESA do not want anyone to use what they have. I've asked for information to develop a local (my wing) comm school using the same lesson plans as they use to reduce duplication of work and make sure what is done locally is the same as what is being done in Indiana and Texas, only to be told that I need to go to those places before they will discuss what being done. I dont have the time or money to do that so I just dropped the whole idea of a wing comm school. This is addition to the historical "You're not one of the chosen" mentality the folks writing this stuff have. I dropped out of the FEMA Master Trainer program because of the total lack of support or information those folks were willing to provide.

Eclipse

That must be a "comm thing", as the air and ground SAR curriculum are posted publicly and if anything wings are encouraged to
use them.

Pilot programs aside, an activity purported to be the "standard" for ES training nationally should be shielding their curriculm from outside use. 

"That Others May Zoom"

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Eclipse on August 21, 2012, 04:03:26 AM
SARKID's ears just perked up...

You know me too well.

Quote from: Eclipse on August 21, 2012, 04:43:40 AM
That's not what I meant - he's BTDT, worked it.  (I've been there, was told to go away and had to sleep next to the !@#$ generator all night).

Our fort.  Our rules.  Cool kids only.  8)

Eclipse

Man I wish I could find that photo that showed the word "mobile" spelled wrong on the side! 

Did you get a beacon for that antenna yet?

"That Others May Zoom"

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Eclipse on August 21, 2012, 04:35:21 PM
Man I wish I could find that photo that showed the word "mobile" spelled wrong on the side! 

Didn't know we were looking for one.  We'll probably just duct tape a cadet to the top and torch him.

BTW, I drive it now.  >:D

Garibaldi

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on August 21, 2012, 04:32:10 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 21, 2012, 04:03:26 AM
SARKID's ears just perked up...

You know me too well.

Quote from: Eclipse on August 21, 2012, 04:43:40 AM
That's not what I meant - he's BTDT, worked it.  (I've been there, was told to go away and had to sleep next to the !@#$ generator all night).

Our fort.  Our rules.  Cool kids only.  8)

That's a different one than I remember.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 21, 2012, 04:55:54 PM
That's a different one than I remember.

Orca 1 burned down; under-body caught fire on the freeway about four or five years ago.  That's Orca 2.

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on August 21, 2012, 02:18:28 PM
Info will only be released via encrypted packet connections, of course the keys are FOUO, so...
The info will be transmitted encrypted on a one-time-pad, with only one copy made of the pad, with the pad being immediately destroyed.

a2capt

Then why copy it, just hand it over?

RogueLeader

Quote from: a2capt on August 21, 2012, 06:06:10 PM
Then why copy it, just hand it over?

That makes too much sense.  Ergo. . .
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

ol'fido

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on August 21, 2012, 04:38:03 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 21, 2012, 04:35:21 PM

Didn't know we were looking for one.  We'll probably just duct tape a cadet to the top and torch him.

BTW, I drive it now.  >:D
Apparently, you have some experience with RST- Required Staff Torture.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

ol'fido

Down here in Benton, IL, we are the home to Mobile Support Unit-South. It is one of the mobile command posts like Denver had in his post. The decision to base it here was strategic....

....We had the only fire station with an empty bay and large enough doors in the area.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

denverpilot

Quote from: Woodsy on August 21, 2012, 12:43:52 PM
FLWG has several camper type trailers used for comms and command trailers.  They have radio racks with several VHF, aviation, HF, CAP, and all sorts of other stuff. Satellite voice and date capabilities.  Self powered via generator when a hook up is not available.  Nice office and work areas.  Fridge to keep stuff in, AC to keep you cool.  They do not have sleeping quarters.   Nothing self propelled.  We also have access to a couple owned by various local governments, but I'm sure in a large-scale response, they'd be using it themselves.

He said "several"...

(As I drift off into a daydream...)

And he said there's agencies somewhere that share equipment...

(As I wipe drool from my shirt from my mouth hanging open...)

He said "satellite"....

(Some time later I came to after apparently passing out, and hit send on this post...)

Heh heh.

:-)

(arajca's comments about "conditions" applies heavily... some of these things sit parked in locked areas and haven't left them for anything but the Democratic National Convention years ago, and the occasional photo op... I had occasion to bring up the use of one city's truck during planning for an event years ago, because it had all the gear for Interop that was needed, and the folks who worked for the department that owned it started laughing out loud at the idea... "The Chief never lets that thing out of the yard. No way." Not even parked in a park dead center of their jurisdiction could it be brought out. Would have given the TV trucks something to shoot as a backdrop... Ha... Oh well...)

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Eclipse on August 21, 2012, 04:20:50 PM
That must be a "comm thing", as the air and ground SAR curriculum are posted publicly and if anything wings are encouraged to use them.
It shouldn't be a "comm thing" but that mind set certainly exists in some places.  Refusing to share useful information that could benefit all of CAP is pretty weak.  Fortunately that approach isn't universal.  Some time back I made a job aid for portable repeaters.  It was advertised for sharing on the CAP-DC list and there were a lot of takers.  With any luck someone has improved it.  I don't care about being credited for it, I just hope it's been useful to a lot of people.  Hopefully others are doing the same.

There is little reason for comm to be secretive.  Aside from the FOUO status of our frequencies, we can freely blab about most comm stuff unless a specific mission requires discretion.  I brag about CAP Comm whenever I can; we need more communicators.  No secret handshake required.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

wuzafuzz

Quote from: denverpilot on August 22, 2012, 12:05:25 AM
I had occasion to bring up the use of one city's truck during planning for an event years ago, because it had all the gear for Interop that was needed, and the folks who worked for the department that owned it started laughing out loud at the idea... "The Chief never lets that thing out of the yard. No way." Not even parked in a park dead center of their jurisdiction could it be brought out. Would have given the TV trucks something to shoot as a backdrop... Ha... Oh well...)

Well, they couldn't risk the TV cameras filming what really happens inside those impressive command posts:
EVIL LAUGH / Dr Evil's Laughing Scene
>:D
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."