"Premium" Quality Blues Shirt?

Started by Pylon, August 23, 2010, 12:10:37 AM

Pylon

I seem to recall there being two versions of the USAF-style service dress blues shirt: the standard blues shirt, and a version with a higher quality fabric.  Perhaps someone here recalls what I'm referring to -- especially maybe some of you USAF guys.  Maybe my Google-Fu is weak, but I can't seem to find any reference to it now.   

But isn't there a "higher quality fabric" version of the blues shirt by DSCP?  If so, is there a specific fabric type or name for this shirt?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

Yeah... I have a L/S one I picked up at Hanscom... I think it is made by Proper.
Mike Johnston

jimmydeanno

AAFES #M202E ($12.40): DSCP: This short sleeve shirt is made of 80 percent polyester/20 percent cotton broadcloth. Machine washable.

AAFES.com doesn't have another option available, just the DSCP version, which is actually the one I prefer - it seems to be a heavier weight than the other one.  The other one I find to be a bit more see through.

I know they have two different kinds.  I'll have to see what it is at the MCSS tomorrow.

EDIT:  They have a womens "Polyester/Wool" SS Shirt available for $30.  It's probably the same for the men's shirts; poly/cotton vs. poly/wool.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DakRadz

I think I know what you're talking about, sir. Do you mean the version that looks extremely smooth and professional, and when stood next to the standard issue makes the issue shirt look like burlap?

I've seen this a few times, and thought there was no amount of starch and heat that would produce such a difference.... Or maybe I'm completely off.

a2capt

MCSS had them, as did AAFES, but now even on Propper's own site they are not there, though there is a long sleeve version on closeout but not really orderable .

https://www.epropper.com/products/100/category/61/Men_s_Air_Force_Dress_Shirt_.htm

They are a bit more see through, and kinda sucky to iron, and similar to the green nomex, they loose their color ever so slightly after a while.

When the original complaints about the Vanguard price differences on uniform items were brought up, these are what they were selling - vs. the DSCP branded stuff.

PHall

It's the Poly-Wool shirt. Costs about $35 vs $15 for the issue shirt.