Royal Canadian Air Cadets

Started by Chris Jacobs, December 03, 2005, 12:54:45 AM

Chris Jacobs

Does any one on the Canadian boarder have relations with the cadets on the other side.  i know that there is the Internation Air Cadet Extage but i was wondering if any one takes it further.  The last time my squadron was at the "museum of flight" in Seattle we ran into a group of Royal Canadian Air Cadets and we had a good time with them.  So i am curious if any one has the Canadian cadets from just over the boarder come and observe or participate in local CAP activities and the other way also.  does any one invite them to your SAREX's?  or have you been to a Canadian Drill copetition?  I had an idea for a joint activity with them but i wanted to see if it was common practice at all.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

BillB

During the 1940's there was an International Drill Competition. It only lasted for 2-3 years and was dropped, only two countries were involved, the U.S and Canada.  Take a look at the U.S.-Canadian border, there are not that many locations where there is easy access across the border with large cities on BOTH sides that would support their respective cadet programs. .
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

JaL5597

Back when I attended encampment in Vermont we had a large contingent of Canadian Cadets.  They were a fun crew to be around.

The encampment (1998) had CAP, AFJROTC, and RCAC personnel involved.

To this day I am kicking mysef for not being there at graduation.  Oh well.  We had to get home somehow.

BillB

Just to live up to my reputation of a troublemaker, I sent an email to the Commander, SER, suggesting that the Canadian Air cadets be invited to the SER Winter Encampment next year. What Canadian wouldn't like to spend a week along the warm Gulf of Mexico at Tyndall AFB? Maybe more contact between the two cadet groups would lead to the renewal of the International Cadet Drill Competition.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Matt

Well, we aren't on the border, but we've had them here in Wisconsin for the Wisconsin Cadet Academy (WCA) (GLRCLS).  They have been known to travel, I did see a post on a Y! group about a few coming down for Michigan's RCLS last summer.  In 2004 we had 10 of them all on orders.  We invited them back for staff, unfortunately, they would have had to pay because the Queen did not endorse their orders  :(

I have seen the Canucks(Edited) drill, and it is quite interesting, it comes from the British form of drill if I'm correct.

Common practice, well, from at least my standpoint, it appears to be increasing more and more.  They're a fun group to get together with, and our cadet programs have similar focus.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

SarDragon

Canooks? That might get you shot, or worse. It's Canucks, and used very judiciously.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ladyreferee

Well Matt I got you beat!  Yes, we have a large group of Canadian Cadets come down and spend a week at Fort McCoy through the Air Force Academy - they are calling it 'Operation Education' this next year, in March.  Last year 100+ came and visited our little squadron and brought their band as well!  The flight sergeant sang the Star Spangled Banner and did a great job although she didn't know the words until two days before.  Both my sons exchanged patches and they received epaulets from them.  In addition, the Canadian girls gave all their email addresses.....

Funny thing.  Our Air Force Academy Liason kept it a secret until the night before and we didn't know they were bringing down so many!  So this year I've already let our Group Commander know when they are coming so we can have cadets from other squadrons help us welcome them properly. 

They swing their arms and stop their right foot I believe - I told them it looked like they were putting out fires!  Especially when they marched close together, shuffling as it were!
CHERYL K CARROLL, Major, CAP

Matt

hmmm, lets see, Col Sac... (*modified*)SW Group... from EC...  I think ya'll should send some down here  ;)

Sorry aboot that, eh.

HGCdt

Quote from: Chris Jacobs on December 03, 2005, 12:54:45 AM
Does any one on the Canadian boarder have relations with the cadets on the other side.  i know that there is the Internation Air Cadet Extage but i was wondering if any one takes it further.  The last time my squadron was at the "museum of flight" in Seattle we ran into a group of Royal Canadian Air Cadets and we had a good time with them.  So i am curious if any one has the Canadian cadets from just over the boarder come and observe or participate in local CAP activities and the other way also.  does any one invite them to your SAREX's?  or have you been to a Canadian Drill copetition?  I had an idea for a joint activity with them but i wanted to see if it was common practice at all.

My wing does an activity called "Summer Initiative" we have 3 or 4 squadrons of RCAC cadets down here in Ohio and have basically a Project X competition with them. That, and we also have a little cook-off in the evening that also plays into who the winner is. It's alot of good fun, and I really enjoy networking with the cadets from across the border!
[move]Civil Air Patrol Honor Guard
"With Honor and Pride"

Slim

We've had Canadian cadets at GLR Alpena for the last few years, anywhere from one to three cadets that we've integrated into staff positions at various levels.  We used one as a flight sergeant; last year we had one serve as the wing chief. 

They come complete with a Canadian Forces Reserve major (who is their rough equivalent to a state director, but at the group level) who serves as the deputy director of our CLS.

IIRC, they come from Hamilton ro Trenton.  Amazingly enough, being one of the few big border cities (Detroit-Windsor), we really don't do much with the RCAC squadron there.

Slim

Matt

That's a bummer... you should try more... We had 2 Capts come with our group of ten.  Both were awesome contributers to, what I saw, both encampment and WCA.

Do you know which squadrons that they're with?  I know a couple of cadets out of Alliston and I think one or two from Trenton.

TankerT

Quote from: Matt on December 05, 2005, 06:09:39 PM
hmmm, lets see, Col Sac... NW Group... from EC...  I think ya'll should send some down here  ;)

Matt... Matt... Matt... Matt...

Don't you know your Groups?

Col Sac isn't in the NW Group... and it's not in Eau Claire... Col Sac meets in Baraboo... and is in the Southwest Group....

/Puts on fireproof undies....
//If you saw my four e-mails on the WI Wing-Info list just a bit ago... you'll know why....

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

Matt

afgeo4

Do you guys know how to contact the RCAC?  Is there a website?  We are here, in Syracuse, NY and Ottawa is only an hour and half away.  Not only would it be nice for the RCAC to come here to visit, but it would be nice for us to visit them and perhaps the Canadian government... Tour their Parliament building??

Thanks for any info you could throw our way.
GEORGE LURYE

TankerT

Actually, there are several websites.  There are websites for the overall program.  There are websites for each province, and then units and support organizations also have websites.

Some of the websites have unit listings with contact information.  But, it's been a bit since I've been there. 

Some places to start are:

http://www.aircadet.com/
http://www.cadets.dnd.ca/

Enjoy!

/Insert Snappy Comment Here