What is/are the best specialty track(s) for a commander to have under the belt?

Started by Hawk200, November 17, 2018, 02:21:00 AM

OldGuy

1 - Being willing to serve is the first prereq
2 - Having the grit to see it thru regardless of the monumental stupid that can follow is the second
3 - Assuming the above (and thank you if you qualify, as we need you - even though all we will do is [censored] and complain instead of saying "thank you" and "how can I help"), I suggest either GES or CP - although if what I am seeing locally is generic then IG makes sense as well.

Good luck and again - thank you for being willing to do the most thankless job in the Patrol.

Larry Mangum

As a past commander, I would encourage you if you if it is a cadet or composite squadron, to enroll and get your technician level in cadet programs. You need to have a good understanding of what the rules and goals of the program truly are. You might find that the way your unit is running its program might not quite might national expectations. 

In a cadet unit, where there often is not an appointed Professional Development Officer, whose sole focus is supposed to ensure that the seniors are completing their development tracks, that duty, will as well fall on you.  So, you might want to be enrolled in that track as well.

The commander by default becomes responsible for performing the duties of any non-filled position in the squadron. The more he knows what is required of each position the better off he will be.   Guess, who often has to teach new officers how to do their jobs?

In reality the programs that can get you in trouble the easiest as a commander are cadet programs, logistics, and finance if you are in a non-flying unit. Staying out of trouble in regard to those things does not in most cases require you to master a track, but it won't hurt either. Common sense and being knowledgeable of the regulation as they pertain to cadet protection and reporting, logistics and finance, will suffice in most cases.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001