Another new AF uniform?

Started by Walkman, August 10, 2012, 08:58:36 PM

Walkman

(I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here...)

I was checking out the ceremony for incoming CSAF Gen Walsh. Is the uniform he & Gen Schwartz are wearing a new service dress variant? I've never seen it before. Those that are AD USAF, please fill me in.

And no speculating as to when CAP gets to wear this one... ::)

Hawk200

Where'd you find that pic? Might be a few clues in there. I'd be interested in reading about it myself.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

Maybe they felt very musical that day?  >:D
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Sapper168

Maybe the CSAF has the authority to alter his uniform or choose a variant like the CSA does?
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Garibaldi

Maybe it's like this...there's dress, service dress, and mess dress? In the Army, if memory serves, there's your dress greens, then there's a white formal dress, and for the really spiffy occasion, the actual dress blues that are blue. I admit, it's been years since I cared enough to keep up with the Army dress uniforms, but maybe these uniforms are a step between regular everyday dress blues and mess dress?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

AirDX

If you're the CSAF, you're pretty much the leader of the band, so why not?
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

AngelWings

abdsp51

Looks like one of the uniform ideas that was pitched and canned.  I have not heard anything about a new service or formal dress uniform other than the new service variant was post poned with other changes.

spacecommand

As mentioned, the USAF Band Uniform, though a bit modified with full medals instead of ribbons.

Cliff_Chambliss

When I first looked at it I thought maybe a couple of Russian Gerals?  then I realized who they were.  Well at least they don't look like a bus driver.

Several years ago when I was instructing at Maxwel AFB there was some talk of the AF going back to their roots so to speak and re-inventing the pre WWI uniforms.  As I was not Air Force and really did not care much for CAP at the time I never paid much attention.  However it looks like at least two people paid some attention.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Eclipse

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on August 11, 2012, 12:03:01 AMSeveral years ago when I was instructing at Maxwel AFB there was some talk of the AF going back to their roots so to speak and re-inventing the pre WWI uniforms.  As I was not Air Force and really did not care much for CAP at the time I never paid much attention.  However it looks like at least two people paid some attention.

That would be these:

and / or these:

Officially shelved indefinitely.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on August 11, 2012, 12:13:55 AM
Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on August 11, 2012, 12:03:01 AMSeveral years ago when I was instructing at Maxwel AFB there was some talk of the AF going back to their roots so to speak and re-inventing the pre WWI uniforms.  As I was not Air Force and really did not care much for CAP at the time I never paid much attention.  However it looks like at least two people paid some attention.

That would be these:

and / or these:

Officially shelved indefinitely.

Unless the new guy decides to take them back off the shelf.

New CSAF, new priorities. And this guy is a card carrying member of the "Fighter Pilot Mafia", unlike GEN Swartz.

MSgt Van

With full size medals to boot...

Hawk200

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 10, 2012, 09:46:59 PM
Maybe it's like this...there's dress, service dress, and mess dress? In the Army, if memory serves, there's your dress greens, then there's a white formal dress, and for the really spiffy occasion, the actual dress blues that are blue. I admit, it's been years since I cared enough to keep up with the Army dress uniforms, but maybe these uniforms are a step between regular everyday dress blues and mess dress?
Greens are gone. The Dress Blue has been "modified" for wear as the "Army Service Uniform." Don't know if the whites are still around, if they are, they aren't seen that often.

If these generals have decided to implement a new formal dress, it's kind of interesting. I think I like it better than the current mess dress.

Eclipse

You'd see that as a replacement for mess dress? 

You wouldn't wear mess dress to a swearing in ceremony, would you?

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on August 10, 2012, 09:37:29 PM
Maybe the CSAF has the authority to alter his uniform or choose a variant like the CSA does?
??

You know....the CSAF has the authority to do anything he wants that is not prohibited by law?  He is not hampered by a National Board like our National Commander.   ;)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

winterg

This was on the USAF Facebook page.

"Gen. Mark A. Welsh III addresses an audience after being sworn in as the 20th Air Force chief of staff during a ceremony at Joint Base Andrews, Md., Aug. 10, 2012. The unique ceremonial uniforms worn by the CSAF and the chief master sergeant of the Air Force during today's transition ceremony are authorized for wear only by these senior leaders when they attend events of a ceremonial nature. They are not intended for wear by any other individuals, groups, or the entire Air Force. (U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Christina Brownlow) (KJT)"

Critical AOA

"I'd like the ceremonials."  will soon replace "I'd like the ABUs" as the mantra of cadets everywhere.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

BrannG

I was just about to post exactly what WinterG posted. They made a big deal on facebook in response to the uniforms. I won't copy paste as WinterG already did that :)

Lackland Cadet Squadron - SWR-TX-007 2012-Current
Kelly Composite Squadron - 42178 (Deactivated) 1994-2000
Cadet from 1994-1998
Senior Member from 1998-2000, 2012-Current
United States Air Force 2000-2006, 0-3