Shadow Box Setup/Frame Arrangement - Got pictures?

Started by Майор Хаткевич, July 30, 2010, 06:14:25 PM

SarDragon

It's your box. Make it look like you want it to look.

I'm sure any box that I might put together will look significantly different from a box someone else puts together, based on different CAP careers.

My wife and I are both retired Navy, and her shadow box is very different from mine, and we're both happy with what we have.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MSG Mac

Quote from: HGjunkie on August 25, 2010, 08:14:40 PM

Meh. Missing some items. The right section will be cleared out for C/officer grades when I get there. someday...

Actually the triangular boxes are intended to hold funeral flags. The rectangular boxes are for the medals, insignia, and memorabilia
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

SarDragon

Quote from: MSG Mac on August 27, 2010, 04:49:47 AM
Actually the triangular boxes are intended to hold funeral flags. The rectangular boxes are for the medals, insignia, and memorabilia

Sometimes.

Mine has a flag flown from the Capitol, and my sweetie's has a flag flown from the USS Chief.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

pierson777

Before I became a professional pilot, I worked as a custom picture framer.  I probably framed over 100 military shadow boxes.  My first was when I was 17.  I put all my CAP cadet stuff in a 16x20 frame with a red sweatshirt as the background...very amateurish.  I just pushed all the pins through cardboard, and the insignia touched the glass, not good.

As a former professional, here are a few pointers.  Use a shadow box or deep frame.  If you buy "off the shelf," it's usually not acid-free mat board and it will eventually fade.  Try to use acid free mat board.  Fabric or suede mat boards look great.  Preplan and arrange the insignia.  Once lined up where they should go, use a thumbtack to make the holes for the insignia.  This prevents breaking the pin backs.  Patches, epaulets, shoulder cords, etc. can be sewn onto a mat board with transparent thread, avoiding adhesive or Velcro.   Once again, use a thumbtack to make the holes for the needle and thread.  Coins can be mounted using coin mounts from a coin-collecting store. 

A couple other things to consider are a photo and an engraved plate showing your name, dates of service in CAP, duty position, etc.  Good Luck.  (sorry, I don't have any pics to share)

Dragon 3-2

Captain  Steven Smith
Aerospace Education Officer
NJ-102 Plainfield Red Falcons
Eaker #2089
2009 NJWG / NER Dragon Drill Team

Tim Medeiros

When were you at GA-452?  I know a couple of the founding members from there.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Dragon 3-2

i was there from the start of the unit until i moved to NJ in 2007

Captain  Steven Smith
Aerospace Education Officer
NJ-102 Plainfield Red Falcons
Eaker #2089
2009 NJWG / NER Dragon Drill Team

James Shaw

[smg id=371]

I was looking for ideas and came across this one. How about this shadow box. All I can say is WOW
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

vento

Quote from: caphistorian on January 13, 2011, 02:00:35 PM
[smg id=371]

I was looking for ideas and came across this one. How about this shadow box. All I can say is WOW

Am I seeing the gent on the left wear a Guayabera shirt with decoration. Don't give ideas to the CAP uniform committee.   >:D

capchiro

I am getting ready to do one for my deceased Father, retired USAF, Major, Master Navigator, WWII, Korea.  While I know there are no Reg's regarding shadow boxes, what is the general opinion on whether one should place all rank, Lt, Cpt., Maj. on display, or just highest earned?  Also, what about Wings?  He earned Observer Wings, Bombadier Wings, Navigator, Senior and Master Navigator.  Should all be shown?  After WWII, he was riffed and returned within 90 days as a Master Sargeant, but was re-instated as a 1Lt. for Korea.  Would one display that and how?  Also, he started off in the Army in 1942 and was enlisted in Graves Registration prior to Bombadier training and commissioning.  Would one try to display any of that and how?  Sorry for all of the confusion and questions, but I guess life was complicated for my Old Man.  God, I miss him.   Thanks for your opinions.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

baronet68

Quote from: capchiro on January 14, 2011, 01:01:41 PM
I am getting ready to do one for my deceased Father, retired USAF, Major, Master Navigator, WWII, Korea.  While I know there are no Reg's regarding shadow boxes, what is the general opinion on whether one should place all rank, Lt, Cpt., Maj. on display, or just highest earned?  Also, what about Wings?  He earned Observer Wings, Bombadier Wings, Navigator, Senior and Master Navigator.  Should all be shown?  After WWII, he was riffed and returned within 90 days as a Master Sargeant, but was re-instated as a 1Lt. for Korea.  Would one display that and how?  Also, he started off in the Army in 1942 and was enlisted in Graves Registration prior to Bombadier training and commissioning.  Would one try to display any of that and how?  Sorry for all of the confusion and questions, but I guess life was complicated for my Old Man.  God, I miss him.   Thanks for your opinions.

If it were me, I'd probably include only his highest enlisted and officer insignia.  For wings I'd include Observer, Bombardier, but only Master Navigator as the others navigator ratings would be redundant (if he'd only been a navigator then including all to show the career progression might look nice).  In addition to his medals, maybe include shoulder patches from any units he's know to have served with during the wars.

The nice thing about shadow box displays is that there really aren't any rules, you just do what you think is appropriate and looks good.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager