Minimum Requirements to be Squadron Commander

Started by USAFRiggerGuy, April 29, 2016, 12:55:39 PM

USAFRiggerGuy

I am hoping that my esteemed CAP colleagues can point me in the right direction.  I am part of a small squadron in Colorado and our Commander will be stepping down since she has held command for about 7 years (I know its a long time and way overdue for a change).  Anyways,  she reached out to me to be her sucsessor, probably because I am generally more driven and was an NCOIC my last year in the Air Force. At any rate, I agreed and all SMs agreed I would be a good Squadron CC. 

I have been in CAP for just over a year.  I have finished Level 1, Cadet Protection Advanced, Officer Basic Course and am signed up for the SLS distance learning course (SLS should be the last thing I need for Level 2).  My question is, what are the minimum requirements to be a squadron commander?  I have looked online and through CAP regulations and have come up short.  I have found that you can receive an early 1Lt promotion upon appointment and a publication that outlines the duties of the squadron CC, but no minimum requirements

Any help will be appreciated!
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Broomfield Composite Squadron
RMR-CO-099
Proud USAF Veteran (SSgt)

JeffDG

A pulse and being crazy enough to say "Yes" are the minimum requirements, and the second one can be waivered.   >:D

Pace

Quote from: JeffDG on April 29, 2016, 01:07:07 PM
A pulse and being crazy enough to say "Yes" are the minimum requirements, and the second one can be waivered.   >:D

If you read the small print carefully, the pulse needs only to be detectable by ultrasound. It can be substituted by the facsimile of breathing movement, whether spontaneous or assisted, and not cold to the touch. An exception can be made to allow a member who still pays dues but has not been seen in years to take command as long as someone within the last 30 years saw that member alive for at least 5 consecutive minutes.

Seriously though, you just need to have level 1, the willingness to do the job, and the sign-off from your group (wing, if you don't have a group structure) commander.
Lt Col, CAP

goblin

Well as her predecessor it sounds like you've already done the job!

USAFRiggerGuy

Quote from: Pace on April 29, 2016, 01:19:17 PM

If you read the small print carefully, the pulse needs only to be detectable by ultrasound. It can be substituted by the facsimile of breathing movement, whether spontaneous or assisted, and not cold to the touch. An exception can be made to allow a member who still pays dues but has not been seen in years to take command as long as someone within the last 30 years saw that member alive for at least 5 consecutive minutes.

Seriously though, you just need to have level 1, the willingness to do the job, and the sign-off from your group (wing, if you don't have a group structure) commander.

This post is freaking gold HA!
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
RMR-CO-099

JeffDG

No, groups matter not.  Wing Commander is the appointing authority for all commanders below wing level.

QuoteCAPR 20-1, 14c
c. The wing commander appoints group, squadron, and flight commanders. These commanders serve a four-year
term of office. Upon completion of the initial term, the Commander may be appointed to subsequent four-year terms
with the approval of the Wing and Region commander.

USAFRiggerGuy

Quote from: goblin on April 29, 2016, 01:19:42 PM

I really has been. Her works schedule has been crazy (she works for USPS) and as Deputy CC I've been signing applications and arranging activities already.
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
RMR-CO-099

JeffDG

Quote from: USAFRiggerGuy on April 29, 2016, 01:23:43 PM

I really has been. Her works schedule has been crazy (she works for USPS) and as Deputy CC I've been signing applications and arranging activities already.
I think you missed the grammar nazi content of that retort.  Note the difference between "predecessor" and "successor"

USAFRiggerGuy

Quote from: JeffDG on April 29, 2016, 01:25:19 PM
Quote from: USAFRiggerGuy on April 29, 2016, 01:23:43 PM

I think you missed the grammar nazi content of that retort.  Note the difference between "predecessor" and "successor"

Touché.... Been up since 0400 and need more coffee. Good catch!
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
RMR-CO-099

jeders

Quote from: JeffDG on April 29, 2016, 01:23:20 PM
No, groups matter not.  Wing Commander is the appointing authority for all commanders below wing level.

Except that most Wing Commanders are going to listen to the recommendation of the group commander. So, while the group commander doesn't have regulatory approval authority, he's likely going to have some say.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

JeffDG

Quote from: jeders on April 29, 2016, 01:31:29 PM

Except that most Wing Commanders are going to listen to the recommendation of the group commander. So, while the group commander doesn't have regulatory approval authority, he's likely going to have some say.
Yes, but even with groups, the Wing Commander sign-off is mandatory.

USAFRiggerGuy

Quote from: jeders on April 29, 2016, 01:31:29 PM

Ahhhh but the joke is on you because we don't have a Group CC! He quit CAP..... Now everything that has to go through the Group CC is bottlenecking.... Fun times.... NOT!
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
RMR-CO-099

Pace

Good catch on the regulatory comment. That being said, a quick look at my eservices account will show that the appointing authority for my command was my group commander. Nothing official was ever discussed or signed by the wing commander for my appointment, but it was signed by the group commander. Finally, someone figured out that delegation is both appropriate and efficient.

Since we're splitting hairs here, his endorsement was by proxy since he was already in house at the change of command for my promotion ceremony to Lt Col. But there is nothing in my paper or electronic file with his signature.
Lt Col, CAP

CAPDCCMOM

^^^^^ How can we be splitting hares!!!!! Alert the PETA people and the SPCA!!! Save the Hares from splitting! Hare Lives Matter!!! more COFFEE!!

Now regarding the pulse... must the applicant be awake? You never said anything about comatose with a pulse >:D

JeffDG

Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on April 29, 2016, 04:34:37 PM
Now regarding the pulse... must the applicant be awake? You never said anything about comatose with a pulse >:D
The omission was intentional.

CAPDCCMOM

^^^^If it is not expressly forbidden, then it must be Allowed. Right? ;D

TheSkyHornet

Golden Rule:
Whenever you take on command, start training your replacement.

All too often people depart from a command role with nobody to take over. They start "searching" for their successor and go around asking "who wants it." 3-4 years, as an average for a Commander's role, is a very short time frame to have your replacement ready.

On that note, buy lots of hair dye for that incoming graying :P

USAFRiggerGuy

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on April 29, 2016, 07:03:23 PM
Golden Rule:

All too often people depart from a command role with nobody to take over. They start "searching" for their successor and go around asking "who wants it." 3-4 years, as an average for a Commander's role, is a very short time frame to have your replacement ready.

I'm turning 29 this year and already have grays coming through.... Could be from the ex wife.... Who knows haha
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
RMR-CO-099

Chappie

Golden Rule:

And the same can be said about any position --- as a former Wing and a former Region Chaplain, that was my policy.  I selected individuals to serve as deputies (primarily) and other key staff positions so that the corporate knowledge could be passed on -- as well as them receiving some experience at and exposure to that level of service.  Wing and Region Chaplains can according to regs serve at a maximum of 6 years.   However, I find it best to serve a complete term with one commander -- and allow the successor to select their own chaplain.  (Lesson to learn...be observant to the "rising stars" on the command side and select their chaplains to serve on staff as IAOD.  Often, the commander and the chaplain have served together so there is a pre-existing trust relationship that has been established.).    In this particular situation it would be wise to see who in the squadron works well with others and bring them on board as a Deputy Commander.  Attend a UCC with them, etc.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Chappie

Quote from: USAFRiggerGuy on April 29, 2016, 07:07:12 PM
Golden Rule:

I'm turning 29 this year and already have grays coming through.... Could be from the ex wife.... Who knows haha

Hair dye didn't work for me.  I had hair when I became a Wing Chaplain back in the day....and now it's gone :(
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

ZigZag911

A pulse is suggested, but I'm not sure it is a non-negotiable requirement!

Also, in lieu of affirmatively agreeing to accept the position, one can also simply be foolish enough to miss the meeting during which volunteers are sought...CAP members are notorious for "volulnteering" absentees!

KASSRCrashResearch

QuoteAlso, in lieu of affirmatively agreeing to accept the position, one can also simply be foolish enough to miss the meeting during which volunteers are sought...CAP members are notorious for "volulnteering" absentees!

Welcome to how one gets put in charge of rescue and EMS ops and training at a volunteer department.  I found out after the meeting (which was on my freaking birthday) by getting a call that started with "We took a vote and you lost...."
I have complete faith in the continued absurdity of what ever is going on.

stillamarine

Quote from: KASSRCrashResearch on May 05, 2016, 10:22:24 PM
QuoteAlso, in lieu of affirmatively agreeing to accept the position, one can also simply be foolish enough to miss the meeting during which volunteers are sought...CAP members are notorious for "volulnteering" absentees!

Welcome to how one gets put in charge of rescue and EMS ops and training at a volunteer department.  I found out after the meeting (which was on my freaking birthday) by getting a call that started with "We took a vote and you lost...."

That's how I ended up the Asst Chief of a VFD.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com