Main Menu

Senior Member Grade!

Started by USMCGunny, May 29, 2014, 12:16:25 PM

USMCGunny

Here is a question I need some feedback on.  When a senior members elects to keep his/her prior military service grade and opt out of officers grades, does that grade relect oh his her ID Card afer the CAPF-2 is sent in. I was told that the CAPF-2 only shows the grade requested, and you remain a senior memeber on file after that.  You can assume your military grade and can wear it on you AF style uniform, but on the record you are a senior member. 

Retired Marine Corps Gunnery Sergeant 1969-1991, Vietnam Infantry Combat Veteran 1970 - 1971, Marine Corps Drill Instructor 1976 - 1978. 

MSgt CAP.

lordmonar

Quote from: USMCGunny on May 29, 2014, 12:16:25 PM
Here is a question I need some feedback on.  When a senior members elects to keep his/her prior military service grade and opt out of officers grades, does that grade relect oh his her ID Card afer the CAPF-2 is sent in. I was told that the CAPF-2 only shows the grade requested, and you remain a senior memeber on file after that.  You can assume your military grade and can wear it on you AF style uniform, but on the record you are a senior member.
Old news....it used to be that way...NHQ fixed.

NHQ shows me as a MSgt in both e-sevices and on my CAPID card.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ColonelJack

Gunny ...

The only thing it won't show now is that you're a Gunnery Sergeant.  As I'm certain you know, the E-7 equivalent in the Air Force (and, by definition, CAP) is Master Sergeant.

Glad to have you aboard!  And thank you for your service.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

USMCGunny

Gentleman!

Thank you for the feedback.  My PDO and admin keep telling me that I can assume the grade of MSgt, but that I will remain a Senior Member in e-services and on my ID Card.  I read the 35-5 section F and have received a response from the help desk that state that once the CAPF2 - is received my grade should be changed on my ID ????  Something seems off???

Retired Marine Corps Gunnery Sergeant 1969-1991, Vietnam Infantry Combat Veteran 1970 - 1971, Marine Corps Drill Instructor 1976 - 1978. 

MSgt CAP.

Майор Хаткевич

You probably will/have received a basic SM card. Once the grade is approved, I think you can pay for a new one. Don't know if they still send them out with promotions.

lordmonar

Quote from: USMCGunny on May 29, 2014, 02:01:25 PM
Gentleman!

Thank you for the feedback.  My PDO and admin keep telling me that I can assume the grade of MSgt, but that I will remain a Senior Member in e-services and on my ID Card.  I read the 35-5 section F and have received a response from the help desk that state that once the CAPF2 - is received my grade should be changed on my ID ????  Something seems off???
It used to be that way......but a couple of years ago NHQ fixed the system to reflect the actual grade.

So like I said...I'm a MSgt in E-services and on my CAP ID.   As there are only about 80 or so NCOs in CAP it does not suprise me that your PDO does not know about the change.

Welcome to CAP.

USMCGunny

I have a Senior Member Card.  I completed Level One back in March and am Mission Scanner Qualified and the Asst. Comm Officer for the squadron.  I can't see where paying for a new ID would help if e-services still has me down as a Senoir Member.  Anyway I'll walk it back through my chain of command.  Thank you all!

MSgt CAP.

lordmonar

Yes....national does not send out new cards based on promotions or transfers anymore....if you want a new one that says MSgt now...you will have to pay the $10 (IIRC) and you will get a new one....otherwise just wait until you renew and it will reflect your new grade.

You can check E-services yourself to see if the promotion went through.

Майор Хаткевич

MacGruff

Like LordMonar said, when you do your annual renewal, HQ will send you a new card which will reflect your Grade.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Gunnery Sergeant, welcome.  The wisdom/experience of SNCO's is an asset to CAP.

One of my units had a retired Army SFC who had been a DS.  He was really good at relating to the cadets, and teaching them D&C...and, incidentally, bringing them back into line with a quick "EYES FRONT AND MOUTH CLOSED!" when required.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Simplex

Welcome aboard and thank you for your service. Bravo Zulu!

RVN Class of '68, Army type.

CAPAPRN

If eservices is still reflecting you as a SM in "promotions history" and not "MSGT" I would ask my COC to check if my form 2A was properly signed and submitted with supporting documentation to NHQ. I am the CTWG DA/DP and we have a lot of NCOs and you submit and ID card copy for AD or DD 214 for formers, get the signatures and send to lmmeforms (not you - wing sends) NHQ usually reflects the change within days in eservices.
Capt. Carol A Whelan CAP CTWG,
CTWG Asst. Director of Communications
CTWG Director of Admin & Personnel
Commander NER-CT-004
DCS CTWG 2015 Encampment

SarDragon

Quote from: CAPAPRN on May 30, 2014, 04:01:34 AM
If eservices is still reflecting you as a SM in "promotions history" and not "MSGT" I would ask my COC to check if my form 2A was properly signed and submitted with supporting documentation to NHQ. I am the CTWG DA/DP and we have a lot of NCOs and you submit and ID card copy for AD or DD 214 for formers, get the signatures and send to lmmeforms (not you - wing sends) NHQ usually reflects the change within days in eservices.

Well, it a Form 2a was sent in, that's the problem. The Form 2 is used for promotions.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

USMCGunny

Thanks again everyone for the info.  CAPF-2 is also used for requesting NCO Grade.  Also CAPR 35-5 Section F says that the squadron Commander has to see the proof of the NCO Grade then the CAPF-2 is sent up through the chain of command for processing.  Looks like someone is sitting on my request. 

MSgt CAP.

Anthony@CAP

It should be noted that for NCO grades the squadron commander is the promoting authority for members assigned to his
unit (CAPR 35-5 1-5h), all that needs to be done is for your squadron commander to email a CAPF2 and a scan of your DD-214 directly to lmmeforms. Group and Wing don't have a regulatory involvement until promotions to the grade of Captain or higher (unless otherwise regulated by an authorized wing supplement, Oklahoma Wing does not currently have one).

I have known plenty of squadron and group commanders that don't realize this and send it up to the next level unnecessarily - which in the end can result in the request being lost or seriously delayed.