Main Menu

Chaplain (Lt. Col.) Dan Ressatar

Started by ironputts, January 21, 2021, 12:17:35 PM

ironputts

January 21, 2021

Chaplain (Lt. Col.) Dan Ressatar
Capital City Composite Squadron
Pennsylvania Wing

Mitred Archpriest Daniel Dimitri Ressetar reposed in the Lord on January 20, 2021 at UPMC Pinnacle Community Osteopathic Hospital, Lower Paxton Twp. He would have turned 94 on March 27th. Born in Edwardsville, PA to Mitred Archpriest Dimitri J. and Matushka Margaret (Tomcho) Ressetar, he graduated from Lincoln High School in Jersey City, NJ, St. Tikhon's Theological Seminary in South Canaan, PA in 1948 (where he directed the choir) and Lafayette College in 1951 where he won the Greek language prize. Father Dan became choir director at St. Michael's Russian Orthodox Church in Cleveland, OH, where he married the priest's daughter Matushka Theodora V. Prislopsky in 1958, who survives him. After ordination, his first parish was Holy Trinity Church in McAdoo, PA and then he served as an Air Force chaplain in San Antonio, TX for three years, retiring later as Lt. Col. In 1965 he was assigned to the new parish of Christ the Saviour Orthodox Church in Harrisburg where he faithfully served for over 55 years, retiring at age 80; he was pastor emeritus. He received many high priestly honors, including the St. Innocent Award (silver), the first Chaplain's Cross presented by Metropolitan Tikhon of the Orthodox Church in America, and finally the mitre, the highest honor bestowed upon a married priest in the Orthodox Church. Father Dan's accomplishments are too many to mention: Pan-Orthodox Choir conductor; oldest active Civil Air Patrol chaplain in the country; Veteran's Hospital chaplain; dean of the local deanery; national spiritual advisor of FOCA and Central PA District advisor for over 30 years; Vietnam Vet's chaplain; he marched in the annual Veteran's Day parade in NYC; Dauphin County Prison chaplain; the annual March for Life, and much more. He also enjoyed sports, especially baseball and football, and followed the Harrisburg Senators and other teams. He was a music lover as well, conducting choirs, singing, playing the piano, and attending Harrisburg Symphony concerts. And Father Dan participated in the canonization services for his uncle, St. Maksym Sandowicz, the great martyr of the Carpatho-Rusyn people, in modern-day Poland in 1994. Preceded in death by his parents and brother Prof. John (late Caroline), he is also survived by three sons: Nicholas, Gregory (wife Candi) and Alexander; grandchildren Dimitri and Sophia; his sisters, Vera Bortniak (late Stephen) and Anne Boyko (late Wasil); and many cousins, nieces and nephews.

Special Note:

To all my comrades of the Pa Wing,

It is with a grieved heart that I share with you all the passing of Chaplain Lt. Col Dan Ressatar.

It was my privilege to know Chaplain Ressatar for over five years in my service with CAP.  He was one of the first Chaplains to befriend me and support me in my growth, and to guide the Chaplain Corps as the Wing Chaplain.  His support was unconditional, and included regular conversations with him.  I always enjoyed spending time with him at the Wing Conference's sitting at the tables during lunch or dinner.  He attended every Regional Chaplain meeting, and was never shy to share his perspective, alway with kindness and love.

Chaplain Ressatar has actively served the Capital City Composite Squadron since 2006.

Chaplain Dan was one of the most loving, kindest, humble people I have known in my 65 years.  His manner could melt any resistance he may encounter.  His character was instrumental in his 50 years of service in the position of Chaplain.  But his service to CAP began as a young man as a Cadet!  He was the 4th oldest Chaplain still serving the Civil Air Patrol in the whole nation! 

Father Dan as he was known to many, was a great man of faith in our Savior.  I pray that I could be as faithful to our Lord as Chaplain Dan was in the day the Lord calls us home.

I will dearly miss him in the days, weeks, months and years ahead of us, we have not only lost a Chaplain, but a great friend.

I do not know what plans there are for his memorial and burial, as I learn them I will pass it on.  I know that the family, particularly his wife Theodora, appreciate your prayers at this time.

In His service,

Chaplain Captain Mark Shulman
Wing Chaplain - Pennsylvania

In Memoriam:

https://www.stots.edu/news_210121_1

News:

https://www.nynjoca.org/news_170616_1

https://orthodoxyinamerica.org/2017/06/24/in-the-news-from-pennsylvania-to-finland/
Greg Putnam, Lt. Col., CAP