Extreme Makeover: Home Edition

Started by Smokey, February 12, 2007, 04:47:28 AM

Smokey

On tonight's episode, they built a home for a Marine who helped rescue two officers on 9/11 at the WTC.

As the family arrived the street was lined with military personnel along with American flags and the flags of the various services.  Amongst the flags was a  CIVIL AIR PATROL flag! It was only visible for a moment...but we were represented.   
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: Smokey on February 12, 2007, 04:47:28 AM
On tonight's episode, they built a home for a Marine who helped rescue two officers on 9/11 at the WTC.   

I saw a brief part of this, but is this the same Marine who was portrayed in the movie 'World Trade Center'?

badger bob

The same one
They interviewed the two police officers that were the basis of the move that were pulled out.
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

AlaskanCFI

There were two  Marines who showed up at the world trade center in Uniform (retired means you are still in the reserves).
NEITHER helped make the movie because of the political views of the director.
One was the guy they depicted as coming in from his job.(I think he was a senior stock broker)  That Marine, Staff Sgt. David W. Karnes who was 43 years old at the time,  then went BACK on ACTIVE DUTY and was deployed to Iraq on two occasions.   It looks like he was retired from the Marines.

The second Marine Sgt Jason Thomas who was 32 years old at the time, Had been out of the Marine Corp for about one year.  He may still have been on in-active reserve status or not.  It would not matter to a guy like that.
Oliver Stone, who usually goofs up facts to suit himself, did so once again.
He portrayed Sgt Jason Thomas as a white man, when he actually happend to be a black American patriot.

xx
Major, Squadron Commander Stan-Eval..Instructor Pilot- Alaska Wing CAP
Retired Alaska Air Guard
Retired State of Alaska Law Dawg, Retired Vol Firefighter and EMT
Ex-Navy, Ex-Army,
Firearms Instructor
Alaskan Tailwheel and Floatplane CFI
http://www.floatplanealaska.com

Becks

From wikipedia "The producers of the World Trade Center movie tried unsuccessfully to locate Thomas. Not knowing that Thomas is black, they cast white actor William Mapother to play his role. Thomas didn't know that the movie was about his and Dave Karnes's story until he saw a TV commercial for the movie showing two Marines with flashlights, hunting for survivors atop the smoldering ruins at Ground Zero."
The real Karnes:

The Real Thomas:

BBATW

AlaskanCFI

I have received a few e-mails about the retired vs retired reserve question.
So here is some info:
During Desert Storm I had the same question because we had all sorts of retired guys showing up back on active duty.  Some of whom were long into the retired list.  But they had special skills.

Enlisted Navy and Marine Corps Regular and Reserve members who are retired with 20 or more years of active duty but less than 30 are assigned to the Fleet Reserve (Navy) and Fleet Marine Corps Reserve respectively.

When these personnel complete a total of 30 years of active and Fleet Reserve (retired) service, they are then assigned to the Retired Reserve or placed on the regular retired list, respectively

Army and Air Force enlisted personnel (Regular and Reserve) who have completed 20 or more years but less than 30 years of active duty are included in the Retired Reserve.

When these members complete a total of 30 years of active and retired service, the regular enlisted retirees are placed on the regular retired list.

Retired personnel are a resource of trained individuals who may be used to augment support and training facilities, to relieve active component or Ready Reserve members for other duties, or to accomplish operational missions as needed.

All military retirees are categorized by age, the length of time after retirement and whether or not an individual has a disability that would preclude recall in a mobilization.

Category I military retirees are those within their first five years of retirement, are under age 60, and not disabled.

Category II are those who have been retired more than five years, are under age 60, and not disabled;

Category III includes all others, including those who are disabled.

All Category I and II retirees are considered mobilization assets and counted as part of the total Department of Defense mobilization base.

Category III retirees with selected skills, primarily medical personnel, are considered mobilization assets on a case-by-case basis.

As for Oliver Stone telling the truth about anything,,,  go fish

xx

Major, Squadron Commander Stan-Eval..Instructor Pilot- Alaska Wing CAP
Retired Alaska Air Guard
Retired State of Alaska Law Dawg, Retired Vol Firefighter and EMT
Ex-Navy, Ex-Army,
Firearms Instructor
Alaskan Tailwheel and Floatplane CFI
http://www.floatplanealaska.com

flyguy06

Let me break it down for all of you all.

The actual Marine was a black guy, but in the movie it was portrayed as a white guy. Thas why people are so surprised. WHat was in the movie wasnt the actual thing