Main Menu

Time in Grade Requirements?

Started by Rangersigo, February 05, 2007, 05:24:21 PM

Rangersigo

Joined the Civil Air Patrol a few months ago and was promoted to CPT because of my prior service.  Because of the Schools I attended I have completed all the education requirements up through the National Staff College - went to SLC and CLC already. 

My question is I was a promotable CPT in the Army when I left 5 years ago with 5 years time in grade.  Can the time in grade be waived for promotion to MAJ in CAP?

SJFedor

Good question.

My inkling would be no, but most of us on the forum can only speculate. Your best bet would be to call Membership Services at national, and see if they can give you an answer.

Don't forget, you also need a senior rating in a specialty track and 1 year in a command or staff position to be elligible for Major in CAP.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

JohnKachenmeister

I don't think so.  You actually have a new date of rank in CAP, which is the same date you joined since you came in as a captain.
Another former CAP officer

Al Sayre

It can be done.

From CAPR 35-5
Quotee. In unusual cases where an exceptionally qualified individual does not meet the promotion eligibility criteria of the applicable promotion method outlined in 8a above, a waiver may be requested by the unit commander, provided he or she can prove that the member concerned has a skill or background unique to CAP which makes him or her eminently qualified for the grade recommended ahead of his or her peers. Each region commander has authority to waive promotion eligibility criteria for the grades of second lieutenant through captain for exceptionally qualified personnel assigned to the region headquarters and subordinate units within the region. This authority will not be delegated. Requests to waive promotion eligibility criteria for major and lieutenant colonel will be considered by the National Promotion Review Board. The following procedures will apply:
1) A detailed letter of justification, outlining the member's exceptional qualifications and showing how waiver of promotion eligibility would greatly benefit CAP will be forwarded with the CAPF 2. The request for waiver will include full particulars on the member, such as age, professional qualifications, unique business experience, association with other governmental or aviation agencies, educational background, community stature, civic endeavors, prior CAP service, etc.
2) The CAPF 2 will be routed through channels to the region commander for approval.
3) Upon approval of a waiver for promotion to second lieutenant through captain, the region commander will sign the CAPF 2 and forward it to NHQ CAP/LMM for processing.
4) CAPFs 2 requesting waivers for promotion to major or lieutenant colonel, approved by the region commander, will be signed and forwarded, along with the letter of justification to the National Promotion Review Board for consideration.
5) The National Promotion Review Board will meet periodically to consider requests for waiver of applicable eligibility criteria for promotions to major and lieutenant colonel. Each request will be carefully screened, and waivers granted only in those unusual instances where known value to CAP eminently qualifies the member of the grade recommended ahead of his or her contemporaries.
6) When waivers are approved, National Headquarters will process promotion actions, and the approved CAPF 2 and new membership card will be routed to the unit, wing, or region headquarters as appropriate.
f. If any commander in the chain of command disapproves a recommendation for promotion or request for waiver, he or she will so indicate over his or her signature on the CAPF 2 and will return the CAPF 2 to the initiator through channels. If the National Promotion Review Board denies a request for waiver, it will also be returned to the initiator through channels. In neither case does such disapproval preclude the individual from being recommended for promotion at some future date.

Is it worth the hassel to your CC?  Maybe...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Rangersigo

Quote from: Al Sayre on February 05, 2007, 05:32:49 PM

Is it worth the hassel to your CC?  Maybe...

Probably not - was just wondering if there was some precedence already in place.  Makes sense to me not to allow...  Thanks for the quick responses...

DNall

The TIG can't be converted, but you can put in a waiver package (that's what's described there) to promote based on exceptional skills, and your Ranger experience should qualify. It's completely subjective though for your CC, the GP/Wg CC & promotion review board, and the region CC & his review baord. It takes quite a while to get thru that process, but probably less than the three years you'd have to wait otherwise. It can't hurt anything. Consult with your CC & if they will sign off, then write your own package & let her fly. Then you can forget about it & if it comes thru then great & if not then oh well.