Main Menu

Who is the CAP Posterboy?

Started by Major Carrales, January 17, 2007, 06:25:31 AM

Major Carrales

I guess this is going to be one of those threads that begins with pure opinion and hopefully reaches consensus.

Who is the CAP Posterboy?

I imagine your answers could vary from a single individual to an group of persons.  Also, one might explore who "should" be the posterboy of CAP.

Have at it...
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

afgeo4

Col Rick Greenhut, current head of homeland security for NHQ, formerly the NER CC, and NYWG CC before that.

Was also a pilot on 9/11 missions in NYC.
GEORGE LURYE

Major Carrales

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 17, 2007, 06:36:11 AM
Col Rick Greenhut, current head of homeland security for NHQ, formerly the NER CC, and NYWG CC before that.

Was also a pilot on 9/11 missions in NYC.

From the Northeast Region webpage...
QuoteRichard Greenhut was already a veteran pilot and FAA Safety Counselor when he joined CAP's New York City Group in 1990. After serving as New York Wing commander, Colonel Greenhut took over the Northeast Region shortly before the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. Colonel Greenhut had a leading role in the CAP's relief effort, and also flew many sorties himself. Since then, he has been CAP's leading spokeman on Homeland Security. Upon stepping down as Northeast Region Commander in August of 2005, he was named CAP's National Director of Homeland Security.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

JohnKachenmeister

How about that guy who used to command the LA Wing?  Good looking, the very image of the Zipper-Suited Sun God, and he has a cool pilot name... "Rock."  I forget his last name.
Another former CAP officer

capchiro

Rock would be a great poster boy.  He had some good photos in the Volunteer as I recall.  He is also an attorney, I believe.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Hartley

Hi Y'all,

Rock Palermo is indeed much better looking than Col. Greenhut (and I doubt Rick would disagree).  I don't think he was ever CC of LAWG, but he has been involved with CAP at high levels in the ES and legal programs for a long time.  He is currently the SWR legal officer.

Hartley

p.s. "Zipper-suited SUN god"? - I thought it was "Zipper-suited SKY god"..
HJG

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Hartley on January 17, 2007, 02:31:52 PM
Hi Y'all,

Rock Palermo is indeed much better looking than Col. Greenhut (and I doubt Rick would disagree).  I don't think he was ever CC of LAWG, but he has been involved with CAP at high levels in the ES and legal programs for a long time.  He is currently the SWR legal officer.

Hartley

p.s. "Zipper-suited SUN god"? - I thought it was "Zipper-suited SKY god"..
HJG

Has to be SUN god for me.  Right now I'm not night current.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: capchiro on January 17, 2007, 02:09:15 PM
Rock would be a great poster boy.  He had some good photos in the Volunteer as I recall.  He is also an attorney, I believe.

I knew he was an attorney, but if we can have lieutenants with Down's Syndrome, I think we have to accept lawyers, too.

Pace

Col Rock Palermo has been the LAWG Legal Officer, SWR Legal Officer, and the National Legal Officer (how he got his birds).  He never commanded the LAWG, but if he ever did I'd come back to LAWG (or whatever unit he was commanding) in a heartbeat.
Lt Col, CAP

Major Carrales

From Air Force Link...
QuoteDick Gremillion, Army Lt. Gen. Russel L. Honori and Civil Air Patrol Col. Rock Palermo discuss hurricane relief efforts at the operations center in Lake Charles, La. After Hurricane Rita, Colonel Palermo spent nearly three weeks directing local emergency operations in his hometown of Lake Charles. He was drafted as operations section chief and later deputy director because of his past disaster management experience. (U.S. Air Force photo/Tom R. Malmay Jr.)   

From Air Force Link...
QuoteCivil Air Patrol Col. Rock Palermo, right, and members of the 82nd Airborne, participate in a conference call with the National Weather Service as Hurricane Rita makes landfall. After Hurricane Rita, Colonel Palermo spent nearly three weeks directing local emergency operations in his hometown of Lake Charles. He was drafted as operations section chief and later deputy director because of his past disaster management experience. (U.S. Air Force photo/Tom R. Malmay Jr.)

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Al Sayre

Quote from: dcpacemaker on January 17, 2007, 04:26:16 PM
Col Rock Palermo has been the LAWG Legal Officer, SWR Legal Officer, and the National Legal Officer (how he got his birds).  He never commanded the LAWG, but if he ever did I'd come back to LAWG (or whatever unit he was commanding) in a heartbeat.

I feel so used... :'(

:D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Pace

Quote from: Al Sayre on January 17, 2007, 05:11:17 PM

I feel so used... :'(

:D
No need to worry.  I doubt Rock has any interest in command, otherwise he would be.  Plus even if he was the wing king, I'd still have the local squadrons to deal with (not gonna happen).
Lt Col, CAP

flyerthom

Lt. Col Keith Zuegel

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16660845/

In the Washington Post and MSNBC today.

(either him or the first CAP person to discover E-bay...)

TC

mikeylikey

Why do we need a posterboy?  Who cares!  Consensous at NHQ is PINEDA anyway.
What's up monkeys?

JohnKachenmeister

Mikey is miffed because nobody mentioned him.

Major_Chuck

Back in the 50's or early 60's Jerry Lewis was a National Recruiting Spokesman or something to that effect for CAP.  I saw a picture of the back of a magazine on E-Bay about two years ago of him promoting CAP.  I haven't been able to find it since.

My vote is for Jerry Lewis.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Major Carrales

Quote from: CAP Safety Dude on January 17, 2007, 08:49:23 PM
Back in the 50's or early 60's Jerry Lewis was a National Recruiting Spokesman or something to that effect for CAP.  I saw a picture of the back of a magazine on E-Bay about two years ago of him promoting CAP.  I haven't been able to find it since.

Knock Yourself out, Chuck...
http://mhuchette.albumpost.com/Historical

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Chris Jacobs

Can i vote for my self.  I'm not all that good lookin but i would vote for me.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

JohnKachenmeister

Have you seen Jerry Lewis lately?

Major Carrales

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 17, 2007, 09:58:59 PM

Yes he  is visible, but we don't get to close because of the intense gravitation fields.  Sorry, Star Fleet regulations~

In any case all joking aside, would any celebrity do that today for CAP?  Was Jerry Lewis a paid "Recruiter-at-Large" or was he a member?  Do we have any celebrity that is in CAP that would step up to the plate?

Jerry Sienfeld?  Jerry Siller?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Al Sayre

How about Harrison Ford?  He's a Patron Member
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

Major Carrales

Quote from: Al Sayre on January 17, 2007, 10:08:35 PM
How about Harrison Ford?  He's a Patron Member

From Wikipedia...
QuoteFord keeps his aircraft at the Santa Monica Airport, though the Bell 407 is often kept and flown in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, and has been used by the actor in two mountain rescues during the actor's assigned duty time assisting the Civil Air Patrol. On one of the rescues Ford recovered a hiker who had become lost and disoriented. She boarded Ford's Bell 407 and promptly vomited into one of the rescuers' caps (she says it was not Ford's cap), unaware of who the pilot was until much later.

Sorry, but according to these sources Harrison Ford is a "fighting" CAP officer and far too valuable a member to be turned into a mere "posterboy."  He is attached to CAPNHQ if my inquiries are correct.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

SarDragon

I actually have one of those pamphlets.

As for Jerry's weight, he was on prescription steroids for a while, but since he's been off them, his weight has come way down. He'll be 81 this year, so cut him a little slack.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Al Sayre

That just makes him all the better for a spokesperson.  I'm not saying to limit him to being a posterboy, but see if he'd do a few print ad's and a commercial or two.  Probably would do more for recruiting than the nascar idea...YMMV
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

Major Carrales

Quote from: SarDragon on January 17, 2007, 10:26:52 PM
I actually have one of those pamphlets.

As for Jerry's weight, he was on prescription steroids for a while, but since he's been off them, his weight has come way down. He'll be 81 this year, so cut him a little slack.

You are correct, I should be more sensative.  I just couldn't resist.  Please accept my retraction.  :'(

Commander
SWR-TX-454

SarDragon

Regarding Harrison Ford - there is a Harrison B. Ford attached to the NHQ Patron SQ, but IMDb says that he has no middle name.

Quote from: IMDbHe was billed as Harrison J. Ford until 1970 for less confusion between he and silent-screen actor Harrison Ford. He actually has no middle name.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

Quote from: SarDragon on January 17, 2007, 10:31:03 PM
Regarding Harrison Ford - there is a Harrison B. Ford attached to the NHQ Patron SQ, but IMDb says that he has no middle name.

Quote from: IMDbHe was billed as Harrison J. Ford until 1970 for less confusion between he and silent-screen actor Harrison Ford. He actually has no middle name.

Could this be the same guy? Was there only one listed?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

pixelwonk

Whats wrong with you people?  It's no question that Cadet Ken is the ultimate CAP posterboyloon

Major Carrales

Quote from: tedda on January 17, 2007, 10:32:45 PM
Whats wrong with you people?  It's no question that Cadet Ken is the ultimate CAP posterboyloon

Cadet Ken is a rather cheeky fellow.  And he's neither really a poster nor a boy?

In a related manner...

How about a postergirl?  Or does that sound too muck like a pin-up?  Isn't a USAF NCO being expelled from the USAF for being a pin-up?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

SarDragon

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 17, 2007, 10:32:31 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on January 17, 2007, 10:31:03 PM

Could this be the same guy?

Maybe.

Quote from: Major CarralesWas there only one listed?

Only one.

Given his political leanings, it could go either way - member or not a member.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major_Chuck

Looks better than he did when he was on steroids.  Still my vote is for Jerry Lewis....and  he should get the Presidential Medal of Freedom for his work with MD.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

Major_Chuck

I know!  Ashton Lewis and his Race Car!
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

alexalvarez

Wow! That 1961 CAP pamphlet brought back alot of memories. I use to have a uniform like the one pictured.
Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014

JohnKachenmeister

How does Harrison Ford get to use his member-owned helicopter on CAP missions?

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: alexalvarez on January 18, 2007, 01:04:37 AM
Wow! That 1961 CAP pamphlet brought back alot of memories. I use to have a uniform like the one pictured.

Back in the day when you had to be 14 to join!  Cadets were a lot tougher then.  No need for Cadet Protection.

Major Carrales

Quote from: CAP Safety Dude on January 18, 2007, 12:26:39 AM

Looks better than he did when he was on steroids.  Still my vote is for Jerry Lewis....and  he should get the Presidential Medal of Freedom for his work with MD.

I agree, Jerry Lewis is one of the world biggest contributors to the Medical community.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

ColonelJack

I wish people would look past the silly talking and pratfalls and realize what a real treasure we have in Jerry Lewis.  If anyone deserved recognition for his life's work, it's Mr. Lewis.

For 24 years, I answered telephones (and, later, ran pledge centers) for the Muscular Dystrophy Association during Labor Day weekend, and while I never had the privilege of meeting Mr. Lewis, I am very familiar with his work.  And, of course, with his real work.  The man's simply funny.

And a great humanitarian.

Your mileage may vary (and no, I am not from France!).

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Major_Chuck

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

Chappie

Quote from: ColonelJack on January 19, 2007, 12:37:41 AM
I wish people would look past the silly talking and pratfalls and realize what a real treasure we have in Jerry Lewis.  If anyone deserved recognition for his life's work, it's Mr. Lewis.

For 24 years, I answered telephones (and, later, ran pledge centers) for the Muscular Dystrophy Association during Labor Day weekend, and while I never had the privilege of meeting Mr. Lewis, I am very familiar with his work.  And, of course, with his real work.  The man's simply funny.

And a great humanitarian.

Your mileage may vary (and no, I am not from France!).

Jack

No argument from me.  Several years ago we had neighbors.  One of their children was a "Jerry's Kid" and received assistance.   In a day and age when people are sceptical as to where the money goes, etc., I have always contributed to MDA because of their work.

(Not from France either -- a native Californian  ;D)
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

SarDragon

My sweetie used to work for MDA, and we, either individually or collectively, have been doing telethons off and on since 1986.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

afgeo4

Ok, so can we all agree that Jerry Lewis is the best spokesperson we can come up with for the Civil Air Patrol in the 21st Century?
GEORGE LURYE

Lancer

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 31, 2007, 04:16:49 PM
Ok, so can we all agree that Jerry Lewis is the best spokesperson we can come up with for the Civil Air Patrol in the 21st Century?

AFAIC, if anyone should be a 21st Century 'posterboy' (so to speak) for CAP, my vote goes to Maj. Nicole Malachowski, pilot of Thunderbird 3.

edited to correct rank. - Mark

afgeo4

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on January 31, 2007, 04:43:57 PM
Quote from: afgeo4 on January 31, 2007, 04:16:49 PM

AFAIC, if anyone should be a 21st Century 'posterboy' (so to speak) for CAP, my vote goes to Capt. Nicole Malachowski, pilot of Thunderbird 3.

She's a poster girl for USAF already and not a CAP member... although she does look good on posters.
GEORGE LURYE

Al Sayre

She is a former Cadet, and would make an excellent spokesperson for CAP.  She spent about an hour talking to the Cadets at the Columbus AFB airshow last year.  I've got some good pictures of her with my daughter and the other Cadets.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

afgeo4

Quote from: Al Sayre on January 31, 2007, 04:59:39 PM
She is a former Cadet, and would make an excellent spokesperson for CAP.  She spent about an hour talking to the Cadets at the Columbus AFB airshow last year.  I've got some good pictures of her with my daughter and the other Cadets.
Spokesperson work is usually done best by someone who's a member already or you run into a situation like:

"Join such and such! They're great!"
- "How long have you been a member of such and such?"
"Oh, I'm not a member, I just want you to join."
- "Oh yeah, hold on, lemme take out my checkbook... PSYCH!"

or situation like:
"Join such and such! They're great!"
- "How long have you been a member of such and such?"
"Oh, I used to be a cadet of such and such and look at me now! I'm a combat pilot!"
- "Great, so if my daughter joins such and such she'll go into the military? I don't think so!"
GEORGE LURYE

MIKE

AFAIC, if anyone should be a 21st Century 'posterboy' (so to speak) for CAP, my vote goes to Capt. Nicole Malachowski, pilot of Thunderbird 3.

IIRC she is a Major now... from the last picture I saw.
Mike Johnston

afgeo4

Anyone know of a Spaatz cadet who is a prominent member of CAP today? At NHQ level perhaps?
GEORGE LURYE

dogden

BTW Nicole Malachowski is now a Major, has been since at least summer of 2006. She is a great spokeswoman for CAP and enjoys being around cadets. I had the great pleasure of getting Mary Feik and her together at the Hill AFB airshow 2006, the powers that be had to practically pull them apart from telling stories and talking. It was a great time to see such wonderful CAP type women having a good time.
David C Ogden, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing, Group IV Commander
GRW#3325

MIKE

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 31, 2007, 05:06:40 PM
Anyone know of a Spaatz cadet who is a prominent member of CAP today? At NHQ level perhaps?

Curt LaFond IIRC.
Mike Johnston

Lancer

Quote from: MIKE on January 31, 2007, 05:04:48 PM

IIRC she is a Major now... from the last piture I saw.

Doh, my bad.  ;D

And to address those that say because she's not an active member she can't represent CAP, I say 'Phooey'. She's a product of the CAP program, she's very proud of her time in CAP and gives her time greatly when she can, talking to CAP cadets.  Besides what's to say we can't bestow an honorary membership upon her anyways?

afgeo4

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on January 31, 2007, 05:12:14 PM
Quote from: MIKE on January 31, 2007, 05:04:48 PM

IIRC she is a Major now... from the last piture I saw.

Doh, my bad.  ;D

And to address those that say because she's not an active member she can't represent CAP, I say 'Phooey'. She's a product of the CAP program, she's very proud of her time in CAP and gives her time greatly when she can, talking to CAP cadets.  Besides what's to say we can't bestow an honorary membership upon her anyways?
Well... if we had to bestow one onto her, we'd have to bestow one onto all the other Thunderbirds. They are a team. While we're at it, what about that female A-10 pilot who was able to fly her wrecked and shot up bird safely back to base in Iraq? Shouldn't she get one? She was a CAP cadet. How about every pilot who was a CAP cadet? How about every pilot who was a CAP cadet in ALL of the military? Well, why would we leave out non-rated officers? Lets give out memberships to everyone who was a CAP cadet and is now in the Military.

Wait, they get paid a very good amount of money. They could probably afford their memberships if they wanted to be members. They probably don't want to be members because they have no time to devote to our organization and don't want to let us down. That's probably it.

As far as Maj Malachowski goes... she is a Thunderbird, and thus a recruiter and postergirl for the USAF. She cannot be an official postgirl for CAP at the same time as we are different organizations with different missions. Perhaps after she's done with her tour with the 'Birds... Since she was the first female and all... Although I think her records as a cadet would need to be reviewed. We don't know if she was such an outstanding member of CAP in her time.
GEORGE LURYE

Lancer

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 31, 2007, 05:20:25 PM
Well... if we had to bestow one onto her, we'd have to bestow one onto all the other Thunderbirds. They are a team. While we're at it, what about that female A-10 pilot who was able to fly her wrecked and shot up bird safely back to base in Iraq? Shouldn't she get one? She was a CAP cadet. How about every pilot who was a CAP cadet? How about every pilot who was a CAP cadet in ALL of the military? Well, why would we leave out non-rated officers? Lets give out memberships to everyone who was a CAP cadet and is now in the Military.

Wait, they get paid a very good amount of money. They could probably afford their memberships if they wanted to be members. They probably don't want to be members because they have no time to devote to our organization and don't want to let us down. That's probably it.

As far as Maj Malachowski goes... she is a Thunderbird, and thus a recruiter and postergirl for the USAF. She cannot be an official postgirl for CAP at the same time as we are different organizations with different missions. Perhaps after she's done with her tour with the 'Birds... Since she was the first female and all... Although I think her records as a cadet would need to be reviewed. We don't know if she was such an outstanding member of CAP in her time.

Wow George, didn't mean to make you get your prop all bent out of a shape.  ;)

All I'm saying is, if we're to pick someone to represent CAP, we need someone young, fresh and 'out there', someone somewhat high profile that 'everyone' knows about and can look up to and respect.

I'm proud of every CAP cadet that has achieved greatness, in this day and age I think that is something that doesn't happen that often, and if we can have someone there to inspire future cadets on, then so be it.

afgeo4

That I totally agree on. Do we know someone who's young, fresh, and very "admirable" in CAP today?

hmm... Pylon?
GEORGE LURYE

Pylon

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 31, 2007, 05:38:47 PM
That I totally agree on. Do we know someone who's young, fresh, and very "admirable" in CAP today?

hmm... Pylon?

:-X

Nah, he's just a lowly lieutenant working in some squadron somewhere.  Definitely not a "posterboy" for anything.   ::)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Johnny Yuma

hmm... Pylon?

How about that 30 year old TSGT who posed in Playboy? I hear she's looking for a job right now. ;) >:D >:D ;) >:D ;) >:D ;D ;D ;D
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

afgeo4

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on January 31, 2007, 08:02:17 PM

hmm... Pylon?

How about that 30 year old TSGT who posed in Playboy? I hear she's looking for a job right now. ;) >:D >:D ;) >:D ;) >:D ;D ;D ;D

Yes yes. That's my job, isn't it? Where'd they say she was stationed?
GEORGE LURYE

Smokey

Maj Malachowski (call sign FIFI) would be an excellent "posterperson".  Jerry Lewis wasn't exactly a regular CAP member. There is no reason she could not be the posterperson for both the USAF and CAP.   After all, it's not like she is a Blue Angel/Navy postergirl.  We are, after all still  (for now at least) the AF Aux.

Two side notes......Maj Malachowski's husband is an F-15 WSO was also a CAP cadet.

Second...the A-10 driver is Kim Cambell, (call sign   KC---aka Killer Chick) a former CAWG cadet.  She spoke at the National Conf in Las Vegas in 2003.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.