I am having trouble with the jargon that refers to Cadets as Enlisted

Started by Robert Hartigan, December 13, 2006, 03:28:58 AM

afgeo4

Oh and Lt Sandman...

I must take the cadet's side of the argument here. I believe that your superior in the US Navy calls you Lt. or Mr. Sandman in front of your subordinates just as you call them Sir or Ma'am. I believe that is the proper term of address in the Navy. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

In the Air Force and CAP we too must make use of appropriate terminology. When you are speaking to a Staff Sergeant in public, and around his subordinates, please call him Sergeant so-and-so. He/she will call you Sir. When you are addressing a cadet in public and in front of his/her subordinates, the proper way to address that cadet is by his/her grade which would be Cadet Sergeant or Cadet Colonel. He or she will address you as Sir. What goes on in private is a whole other issue, but as to set an example of respect for your grade and the cadet's you MUST address them properly.

Having said that, technically there is nothing that says you cannot address a cadet by "Cadet". It is the equivalent of addressing you as "Sailor" (which everyone in the Navy is) or an Air Force General as "Airman" (which everyone in the Air Force is), but... the culture of the services says otherwise and I'd really recommend that you don't address your superiors or subordinates by such a general denomenation. They've earned more than that. That goes for Civil Air Patrol too.

I understand that you know how this applies to the Navy; I just want to reiterate that it applies to the Civil Air Patrol just as much.
GEORGE LURYE

ZigZag911

Quote from: Guardrail on February 07, 2007, 02:27:58 AM
Quote from: ZigZag911 on February 07, 2007, 02:09:21 AM
Quote from: sandman on February 06, 2007, 10:26:21 PM
. I love it when some Spaatz cadet colonel becomes power drunk and just by calling the cadet "cadet" seems to give him or her a moment to pause...

Part of that mentorship thing I guess.

I take it you call virtually all Spaatzes "Cadet"???

What's wrong with that?  He's following regulations.  If some C/Col can't stand being called "cadet" by a CAP or military officer/NCO, tough. 

Not a thing....my implication, picking up on his statement, was that most Spaatz recipients get 'power drunk'.

ZigZag911

Quote from: Jolt on February 07, 2007, 02:40:05 AM
I think it's extremely condescending to call a Spaatz cadet "cadet" for no other reason than to "pop his balloon."  

I think that's his point...he's getting the cadet's full attention.....and it may not seem like a nice thing to do, but, unfortunately, with some cadet colonels (and other cadet officers!) it is sometimes necessary......I know it was with me at times, when I was a C/Capt and got a bit carried away with my importance in the overall scheme of things.

ZigZag911

Quote from: sandman on February 07, 2007, 07:12:53 AM
While I appreciate your willingness to step up and voice your opinion, I suggest you take the extra time to pause and consider your position....You may not realize it but you're on the edge young padawan.

That's not really fair, he's been strong in his opinions, but entirely respectful.

ZigZag911

Quote from: Fifinella on February 07, 2007, 07:36:16 AM
At the Air Force Academy, cadets are addressed by other cadets and all staff (officer, enlisted, & civilian) as "cadet", not "C/rank".  (Unless they were still in basic training - then they were addressed as "basic".)

True, and in the Royal Navy they say 'leftenant' rather than 'lootenant'....but we're neither RN nor AFA

sandman

Ok George, you opened yourself up...

Quote from: afgeo4 on February 07, 2007, 08:41:02 PM
Oh and Lt Sandman...

I must take the cadet's side of the argument here. I believe that your superior in the US Navy calls you Lt. or Mr. Sandman in front of your subordinates just as you call them Sir or Ma'am. I believe that is the proper term of address in the Navy. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Consider yourself corrected. Since you and I do not work together daily, you are making the mistake of assuming....

In the Air Force and CAP we too must make use of appropriate terminology.

Another assumption. As a volunteer, I am not obligated by law to address you or any other CAP member, cadet or senior, by their CAP grade (assuming were keeping on track with the discussion of the original subject line).

When you are speaking to a Staff Sergeant in public, and around his subordinates, please call him Sergeant so-and-so.

If the situation warrants it, and I feel so inclined....you did say please though so I'll give it extra consideration ;)

He/she will call you Sir.

You're darn right they will.....

When you are addressing a cadet in public and in front of his/her subordinates, the proper way to address that cadet is by his/her grade which would be Cadet Sergeant or Cadet Colonel.

Negative, Ghostrider.....
The onus is on you right now to quote the regs.

He or she will address you as Sir.

Again we agree ;)

What goes on in private is a whole other issue, but as to set an example of respect for your grade and the cadet's you MUST address them properly.

Correct. The proper address is "cadet".

Having said that, technically there is nothing that says you cannot address a cadet by "Cadet". It is the equivalent of addressing you as "Sailor" (which everyone in the Navy is) or an Air Force General as "Airman" (which everyone in the Air Force is), but... the culture of the services says otherwise and I'd really recommend that you don't address your superiors or subordinates by such a general denomenation. They've earned more than that. That goes for Civil Air Patrol too.

You must be the SECDEF in disguise, Oh I get it now.

I understand that you know how this applies to the Navy; I just want to reiterate that it applies to the Civil Air Patrol just as much.

By what regulation am I obligated to apply....uh, whatever it is you require me to apply and to what?
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

sandman

Quote from: ZigZag911 on February 07, 2007, 09:01:32 PM
While I appreciate your willingness to step up and voice your opinion, I suggest you take the extra time to pause and consider your position....You may not realize it but you're on the edge young padawan.

That's not really fair, he's been strong in his opinions, but entirely respectful.

I disagree. On the edge of being disrespectful to an officer. Re-read the cadet's post and you will notice a subtle undertone of disrespect that if not redirected in a positive manner can go from innocuous to a malignant character flaw that could affect his career later in life.
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

afgeo4

Wow... I am completely appalled and surprised that you were able to make Major in Civil Air Patrol and Lieutenant in the US Navy with your apparent lack of customs and courtesies. Must have been oversights on somoene's part.
GEORGE LURYE

ZigZag911

Quote from: sandman on February 07, 2007, 09:22:02 PM
Quote from: ZigZag911 on February 07, 2007, 09:01:32 PM

I disagree. On the edge of being disrespectful to an officer. Re-read the cadets post and you will notice a subtle undertone of disrespect that if not redirected in a positive manner can go from innocuous to a malignant character flaw that could affect his career later in life.

Yeah, you're right, on 2nd reading his last post was getting close to the line...however, you have been provoking him to some degree, which, while perhaps within the legalistic bounds of what is permissible, really ought to be avoided in the interests of setting positive tone & example.

MIKE

Mike Johnston