sUAS - eServices- - IT Folks

Started by etodd, October 06, 2019, 12:45:09 AM

etodd

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

IT folks are trying out all the sUAS forms in a staging area of eServices, and have come upon a bit of conundrum it seems.  How to manually enter the first MPs, SETs, and Check Pilots?  If I start entering data for myself in a online SQTR Worksheet, and then try to select a SET, there are none available. LOL

If they were to put me in today, by manually editing the database, as a sUAS Mission Pilot ... the software would automatically make me a SET a YEAR from now ... but the first SETs need to be in the system NOW, so we can then input all the Technicians and Pilots we have on paper.

I'm wondering how it was done when eServices first went online years ago? They must have had a way to manually make a lot of people SETs from the start.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

CAP9907

FYI..  there is nothing automatic about the SET process. It is controlled by the Wing Commander, at his discretion and additions must be manually entered.

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/Skills_Evaluator_Training_memo_CEB22F669FFA8.pdf

~9907
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

etodd

Quote from: CAP9907 on October 06, 2019, 12:59:23 AM
FYI..  there is nothing automatic about the SET process. It is controlled by the Wing Commander, at his discretion and additions must be manually entered.

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/Skills_Evaluator_Training_memo_CEB22F669FFA8.pdf

~9907

Hmmm.  OK.  Good to know.  I'm SET for MS, MO, AP and others and it always seemed to just pop up a year after being each one. So figured that was what happened.

So in that case it should be easy (?) for the IT folks to make all this happen for sUAS. Not sure why they are having trouble. Oh well. they'll figure it out.

SAREXinNY

Reminds me of the safety technician track. If there are no senior or master rated in your area to sign off someone new, nobody is getting their tech rating...ever...

etodd

QuoteThe "all" default authority for an evaluator .....

I bet my Wing has this as default. That would explain why I was made SET for so many things without asking anyone. And why it always happened right at the one year mark.

CAP9907

Quote from: etodd on October 06, 2019, 01:04:48 AM
Quote from: CAP9907 on October 06, 2019, 12:59:23 AM

~9907

Hmmm.  OK.  Good to know.  I'm SET for MS, MO, AP and others and it always seemed to just pop up a year after being each one. So figured that was what happened.

So in that case it should be easy (?) for the IT folks to make all this happen for sUAS. Not sure why they are having trouble. Oh well. they'll figure it out.

Either you requested the SET status or someone else did and/or requested on your behalf. It does not expire once granted, but it can also be revoked for any or no reason at all.
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

etodd

Quote from: SAREXinNY on October 06, 2019, 01:05:19 AM
Reminds me of the safety technician track. If there are no senior or master rated in your area to sign off someone new, nobody is getting their tech rating...ever...

Sounds like a PDO issue as well.  Why would a PDO let anyone start a track in that situation?

SAREXinNY

Quote from: etodd on October 06, 2019, 01:10:21 AM

Sounds like a PDO issue as well.  Why would a PDO let anyone start a track in that situation?

Because when it's SUI time, they get annoyed when your safety officer isn't at least enrolled in the track.

etodd

Quote from: CAP9907 on October 06, 2019, 01:08:31 AM

Either you requested the SET status or someone else did and/or requested on your behalf. It does not expire once granted, but it can also be revoked for any or no reason at all.

Quote from: etodd on October 06, 2019, 01:07:50 AM
QuoteThe "all" default authority for an evaluator .....

I bet my Wing has this as default. That would explain why I was made SET for so many things without asking anyone. And why it always happened right at the one year mark.

Eclipse

SETs are appointed by the Wing DOS or higher on a special-case basis for new qualifications
until there is at least a year of existence and the normal process can be followed.

This has happened before and it will happen again.

No one is "automatically" an SET - that status must be approved by Unit, Group, and Wing as applicable.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Not true.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Well, whatever the case may be ... the IT folks rolled out the system without knowing they needed to setup the initial SETs into the system first. They asked a few of us to test it in a staging area, and we couldn't make it past step one, since they are no SETs yet. They'll figure it out at some point. ;)

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on October 06, 2019, 03:29:03 AM

No one is "automatically" an SET - that status must be approved by Unit, Group, and Wing as applicable.

QuoteThe "all" default authority for an evaluator being submitted for approval would allow them to evaluate in any area that they themselves have been current and qualified in for at least a year. If a commander or designee chooses to limit new specialties a member can evaluate rather than using the "all" default, then the commander will have to approve each individual specialty as it is added.

^^^^ That must be what happened to me. They gave me the "all" for the first one, so now everything just popped up after a year. Makes sense now.

NIN

There are also ways to pre-load data into people's records in the back end, bypassing the business rules, if necessary to bring a new qualification into existence.

It's nothing to insert a SET qualification into your record in SQL, or sUAS MP, or whatever, if needed to seed initial qualifications.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

etodd

Quote from: NIN on October 06, 2019, 12:32:41 PM

It's nothing to insert a SET qualification into your record in SQL, or sUAS MP, or whatever, if needed to seed initial qualifications.

Exactly. Hence my mentions above of manually editing the database. Looks like the IT folks working on this need some help. It's a lot of info and people to manually insert to get it all rolling.