Favorite Leadership Classes

Started by Stonewall, August 28, 2007, 04:10:55 PM

Stonewall

If you have been a leadership officer, held another position but led a class of cadets in a leadership type topic, or are a cadet that was impressed with a leadership type class, what was it?

Is there a pamphlet for leadership officers that gives ideas for activities or classes?

CAPR 20-1 says the responsibilities of the Squadron Leadership Officer include:

QuoteResponsible for leadership laboratory and physical fitness training of CAP cadets to include:

Proper wear of the CAP uniform.
Customs and courtesies of the service.
Leadership techniques and activities.
Physical fitness.
Squadron drill team.

The leadership officer should be familiar with CAP directives in the 50 series and particularly with the Leadership Laboratory Manual that is a cost item and is described in the CAP Bookstore Catalog.

Any other squadron leadership officers out there?  I've been one before, but not for more than 12 years.  Just wondering what others do.
Serving since 1987.

afgeo4

Myself and 1st Lt Mike Sim held an NCO Academy for our group a few years back. The curriculum was based on the USAF/Army NCO one with changes and applications of the CAP cadet program as per 52-16. Unfortunately, only 3 cadets out of 8 showed up on time, so the graduating class was just 3 cadets, but... the 3 cadets did an amazing job and the academy was a total success. The cadet who was most improved (his self-confidence) later became a Hawk Mountain graduate and the cadet commander of his squadron. He is now a U.S. Marine, so I guess not bad. The other two went on to college and one is in Army ROTC I believe.
GEORGE LURYE

Stonewall

I'm talking more of a class thing.  I'll leave academies and stuff up to group, wing and region.  For me, I need some ideas or some material for a class that will last about 45 minutes.

Anybody got anything?
Serving since 1987.

afgeo4

Quote from: Stonewall on August 28, 2007, 04:31:45 PM
I'm talking more of a class thing.  I'll leave academies and stuff up to group, wing and region.  For me, I need some ideas or some material for a class that will last about 45 minutes.

Anybody got anything?
This academy was a bunch of classes done over a weekend. Any of those classes would stand up well on their own.

Basics of followership.
Smart uniform wear and customs & courtesies.
Image of a CAP cadet.
Speech techniques.
Basics of Leadership.
Leading Drill.
Physical Conditioning program of CAP (overview)
Formal and informal counseling of cadets.
Emergency Services program of CAP (overview)
Aerospace Education program of CAP (overview)
Every Cadet is a recruiter!

Pick any of those classes and they'll pay off. You can create your own lesson plan or better yet, have a cadet officer make one and then check it to make sure all advice adhere to proper regulations, manuals and pamphlets. Make sure they're also common sense.

These classes give a great overview of the cadet program from a cadet's point of view and serve as good refreshers of things some cadets may have forgotten. The counseling, recruiting, speech, and leadership of drill classes are pretty much new to all cadets and are weak points for most. You may want to have some help from former military folk on these as they are very emphasized among NCOs.

GEORGE LURYE

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Stonewall on August 28, 2007, 04:31:45 PM

Anybody got anything?

I am a leadership officer right now and I love it.  There are usually several things that tend to get left out of training cadet leaders, but I don't know if you're looking for ideas for all the cadets or the 'staff.'

Here's some ideas:
1) Customs and Courtesies: Most people take the approach of "this is how you salute," but I prefer the "this is why we salute" avenue, talking about sacrifice, the uniform the cadets wear, importance, respect, history, etc).  They can learn "how to salue" in D&C.

2) Public Speaking: Spend a few minutes on basics of speaking to crowds - talk about creating atmospheres (like putting a podium up implies that it is going to be a one-sided converstation whereas sitting on the edge of a table implies more relaxed open conversation), then have the cadets do impromtu speeches by drawing random topics out of a hat with one minute preparation for a 1 minute speech.

3) Responsibility: Includes taking responsibilty for your actions, helping others assigned below you, etc.  Give some scenarios in which the cadets need to determine an appropriate course of action.

4) Differences between cadets: Includes differences between C/Amn vs. C/Junior NCOs vs. C/Senior NCOs vs. C/Junior Cadet Officers vs. Senior Cadet Officers, expectations at all those levels, etc.

5) Team Leadership Projects: Whatever ones you can find. 

Staff:
1) Preparing and conducting cadet evaluations.

2) What it means to lead; (includes things like; more grade gives you the ability to help more people, looking out for your teams welfare, leadership by example, etc.)

3) Planning:  How to optimize the time you have, how to develop goals, etc.

4) How to teach: Different methods (verbal, visual, demonstration/performance, etc).
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Stonewall

Thanks, Jimmy.  That's what I was looking for.  I'm not on the schedule just yet, but I want to have at least 2 classes in my pocket, ready to go.  :D

Serving since 1987.

jimmydeanno

Yeah, I like to teach the things the cadets leave out, however, I find that most of my time lately has been dedicated to teaching the cadet staff - it seems more appropriate.

We had a bunch of our more senior cadets leave for college at the beginning of the summer (when I was made LO) and a few that stuck around, but they are seniors and their head is in a different place.  So that leaves 1 C/2d Lt and a 3 C/SSgts in terms of 'experienced cadets.

So, the last few months, I've been working with the C/2d Lt on brining his C/NCOs up to speed and helping them understand their roles better.  Hopefully it pans out because we just did some massive recruiting at an airshow and should get at least 15 new cadets out of it (we've recieved 25 RSVPs to our open house for potential cadets as a result so far).

So hopefully, my newly minted C/SSgts will take the lessons learned and with appropriate help get the new cadets off to a good start - I LOVE CAP!

I can understand you wanted to teach something they don't get all the time, like wearing the uniform, how to salute, typical customs and courtesies - and I'm sure they'll appreciate it too.

Good luck and if I think of any more, I'll post 'em.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill