Incorporated sUAS into Today's SAREX

Started by etodd, January 26, 2020, 01:38:49 AM

etodd

Six squadrons participated in today's SAREX. Four airplanes conducted grid searches as well as photography missions. Two cadet ground teams along with two sUAS teams searched the area. This was the first time drones have been incorporated into an Alabama Wing SAREX. The drones took off and within minutes were able to locate the targets. The coordinates were then sent to the ground teams so they could go in and verify. Hovered the drones over the target areas, so the GTMs could hear and see it over the trees, and walk toward the target. The new drone technology drastically cut search times.

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

etodd

sUAS Teams sorties were entered into WMIRS as ground sorties in the SAREX Mission Number. ORMs for each sUAS MP were filled out and printed. Flight releases for each sUAS Sortie were printed, and then the sUAS Logs for all the flights were printed out. Everything scanned and uploaded to the Mission Files in a separate sUAS Folder. Lots of great training. And with 80 members participating in the SAREX, we have a few more interested in the sUAS program now. Its growing.

Fester

But what's with the uniform infractions? 

:D
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

etodd

Quote from: Fester on January 27, 2020, 07:07:13 AM
But what's with the uniform infractions? 

Which ones?  They look close enough to me.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Spam

There are a couple of three things there, actually.

The ones I see are:
- Nomex bag (with no cover) on a ground team
- No vest on one member

- Spam

etodd

Quote from: Spam on January 27, 2020, 03:24:35 PM
There are a couple of three things there, actually.

The ones I see are:
- Nomex bag (with no cover) on a ground team
- No vest on one member

- Spam

No vest guy was wearing polo and walked over to watch. He was not part of  team.

Not going to send a guy home from a mission just because he forgot a hat.  We had a search to perform.

Tried to simulate this as close to a real mission as possible. Simulated plane crash with possible victims bleeding out and need to be found "now".  So in answer to the question .. NEGATIVE ... we did not all stand in formation for a uniform inspection at arrival. And even if we did spend valuable time doing that, I would not have sent anyone home for the lack of a baseball hat.

etodd

Its never about the mission with some of you. Its always about the uniform. Geez  (Replies not needed. Its been discussed countless times. LOL)

Spam

Uniform compliance is a leading indicator of a cavalier attitude towards compliance in other areas of aviation and CAP.

I absolutely am about the mission. The uniform is part of it. To start defensively stammering your excuses, on an exercise which you've all planned for weeks, is interesting. Your lack of attention to detail, coupled with your defensiveness after posting the carelessness, is telling.

R/
Spam

etodd

Quote from: Spam on January 27, 2020, 03:42:17 PM

Uniform compliance is a leading indicator of a cavalier attitude towards compliance in other areas of aviation and CAP.

I absolutely am about the mission. The uniform is part of it. To start defensively stammering your excuses, on an exercise which you've all planned for weeks, is interesting. Your lack of attention to detail, coupled with your defensiveness after posting the carelessness, is telling.

R/
Spam

It was an extremely successful SAREX. Over 80 members, 2 drones, and 4 airplanes participating from two bases 20 miles apart. Targets were found in record time with the addition of the sUAS teams.  Yes, yes, yes .... uniforms matter. But I'll defend our performance that day to the hilt. If with all those members and equipment running that day, the only complaint is one guy missing a hat .... 

PHall

Quote from: etodd on January 27, 2020, 03:49:31 PM
Quote from: Spam on January 27, 2020, 03:42:17 PM

R/
Spam

It was an extremely successful SAREX. Over 80 members, 2 drones, and 4 airplanes participating from two bases 20 miles apart. Targets were found in record time with the addition of the sUAS teams.  Yes, yes, yes .... uniforms matter. But I'll defend our performance that day to the hilt. If with all those members and equipment running that day, the only complaint is one guy missing a hat ....

It's called "Attention To Detail". If you can't be bothered to follow the rules for something simple like wearing a uniform.
How can we trust you to follow the rules for other things like flying airplanes and your sUAS?
The image you're showing here does nothing to help yours and CAP's image to our ES and DR partner agencies.

etodd

Quote from: PHall on January 27, 2020, 04:36:24 PM

The image you're showing here does nothing to help yours and CAP's image to our ES and DR partner agencies.

Our ES and DR partners would not have noticed the missing hat. They would have been very happy at the end of the day with our performance. Its you that are pointing out the minutia of uniforms for the world to see. 

Again ... I'll defend our performance that day to the hilt. If with all those members and equipment running that day, the only complaint is ONE guy missing a hat ....

Paul Creed III

And, that'll do it.

#thread-drift
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager