Proper Motorola Astro Saber P25 programming parameters for CAP use

Started by whsmith, July 21, 2013, 08:28:23 PM

whsmith

I am a Group Communications Officer (and Amateur Radio Operator), and would like to program some recently acquired Motorola Astro Saber III radios for P25 use, in addition to analog.  I have received the list of frequencies and associated NAC codes (under NDA from my Wing DC). 

What I am seeking are the correct settings for the considerable number of additional parameters in the "Astro" menu of the Motorola CPS programming software.  This doesn't seem to be documented anywhere.  My Wing Comm's resources only have the frequencies and NAC codes, but no programming documentation for Motorola radios.  I have tried searching this forum, and "Google" searching. 

Can someone point me in the right direction, via this forum or email?   Thanks!
Wayne Smith
Captain, CAP
Communications Officer
Long Island Group HQ
Long Island MacArthur Airport (ISP)

Brad

Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

whsmith

CPS R05.03.00

Conventional Personality configurations for each channel - Need required / recommended CAP settings for the configuration screens called "Astro", "Astro Call" and "Astro Talk Group Options."

I have programmed one radio already and it is working OK on two of the P25 channels.  I just want to optimize the configuration.
Wayne Smith
Captain, CAP
Communications Officer
Long Island Group HQ

Brad

Here's the CPS manual: http://w7evl.com/pdf/xts3000r.pdf

The options you mention relate to trunked systems or systems configured with selective calling. CAP doesn't use that, so just follow the instructions in Section 2.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

whsmith

Thanks much for the documentation. This will be very helpful. 

However, Section 2 does not detail any of the option settings (non-trunking) for P25 mode or than the NAC code. 

Does CAP have any specific, documented best practices for configuring this radio for our use? 

For example: In the Astro menu: Astro System, Late Entry/Fast Unmute, Digital Modulator Type, RX Unmute Rule.   There are many settings in the RX Options and TX Options menu. For example: Unmute/Mute type, RX Voice/Signal Type, RX Mute Delay, Squelch (Fine Tune), RX Emphasis.
Wayne Smith
Captain, CAP
Communications Officer
Long Island Group HQ

Brad

Ok I'm just taking a shot in the dark here, but looks like what you need to do for your P25 channels is designate them as Astro mode.

1.) set your Rx voice/signal type to mixed mode so that you can receive on the analog side still

2.) set your Tx voice/signal type to Astro

3.) With regards to the PL, try leaving it carrier

4.) Go to the new Astro screen you can now get to since you've set the radio to Tx Astro: From the MAIN MENU, press F4, F6, F3, F9 and then F6 to access this
screen.

6.) Rx Unmute rule to Normal

7.) Rx and Tx Network ID is where your NAC code goes I believe.

Again, this is just my best guess from looking at the manual, but worth a shot!
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

whsmith

Thanks again for the help with this Brad...

I've got the NAC codes entered in the correct fields, and that works OK.  Type set to Astro.  However, if you configure for Mixed Mode, then I believe that you will also need to specify the PL codes for transmit/receive.  (That's what I did.)   I am testing the "Standard"  Unmute/Mute Type, and will advise on results.
Wayne Smith
Captain, CAP
Communications Officer
Long Island Group HQ

whsmith

Unmute "Standard" option works for both analog and P25. 

Mixed mode with RX/TX PL's specified for the Astro/P25.   Cross-tested between the Astro Saber and an EF Johnson 5317.

P25 to P25 worked OK,  transmit and receive

Analog radio to P25 radio - received OK

P25 radio to analog radio - carrier sense light, but no audio heard
Wayne Smith
Captain, CAP
Communications Officer
Long Island Group HQ

Brad

Quote from: whsmith on July 22, 2013, 04:37:42 AM
P25 radio to analog radio - carrier sense light, but no audio heard

When you say analog radio, you mean a true analog radio, or a radio that can do dual-receive P25 as well, i.e. the EF Johnson 5317 you mentioned?
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

whsmith

I meant trying to transmit P25 voice from the EFJ 5317 (simplex channel) to the Astro Saber set to the same channel but in analog voice mode.   I would not expect to hear anything on the Astro.
Wayne Smith
Captain, CAP
Communications Officer
Long Island Group HQ

Brad

Ah ok. It's probably because the EF Johnson is sending out a non-Astro digital signal, so the Astro radio rejects it same as two analog radios on the same frequency but with different CTCSS tones that are set encode and decode do.

Edit: As I was typing this, I googled the problem you described and I found the solution. Set your Rx Unmute Rule to Digital CSQ, and you should be able to hear the EF Johnson digital side on the Astro digital side. This will change your Rx NAC code, but again that's the receive side, the important one is the Tx side.

Second edit: just noticed I was thinking backwards. Ok so you're trying to transmit P25 from the EFJ to the Astro on analog. Ok so for the analog channels what you need to do is actually set them all as Astro channels, with the receive mode as mixed and the transmit mode as analog. Also for good measure set your Tx Simulcast to CQPSK and of course make sure your deviation is 2.5 to ensure it's still transmitting narrowband. Then for the Rx Unmute Rule try no squelch or digital csq and see if that works.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN