NESA vs. Lonestar | What's the key difference?

Started by Aquacordion, December 04, 2023, 04:42:46 PM

Aquacordion

Hello! :D 

I'm very interested in Emergency Services and was contemplating either going to Lonestar ES Academy down in Texas, or National ES Academy up in Indiana. I know Lonestar is a NCSA, but what differences are there from Lonestar and the basic ES training offered by NESA?

Thank you.
C/CMSgt Kinsey Roberson

IN220 Emergency Services NCO
IN220 WCAC Assistant Representative
RCCS Civil Air Patrol, U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

Eclipse

NESA is the national school that sets the ES standard for CAP as a whole.

Lonestar is something TXWG does.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

Lonestar can train you in the ES Specialties, just like Hawk Mountain does, but both have to go through the various students wings to get the final signoff.
NESA can sign off anybody as the National certifying authority.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Aquacordion

Quote from: MSG Mac on December 05, 2023, 03:14:59 AMLonestar can train you in the ES Specialties, just like Hawk Mountain does, but both have to go through the various students wings to get the final signoff.
NESA can sign off anybody as the National certifying authority.

If I want to do more paramedical/emergency healthcare ES training, should I attend Lonestar then?
C/CMSgt Kinsey Roberson

Fubar

Quote from: Aquacordion on December 05, 2023, 03:39:01 AMIf I want to do more paramedical/emergency healthcare ES training, should I attend Lonestar then?

The website I found for LESA South (not sure if that's the one you're looking at) says they train based off the CAP task guide. There isn't any advanced level medical training taught for any of our qualifications since CAP is not a first responder organization, isn't licensed/insured to provide medical services, and doesn't have any medical protocols or a medical director.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hawk Mountain in PAWG does that sort of thing, they are known for doing a lot of training that isn't pertinent to CAP. They are also heavy on mountain survival, so expect that aspect to the training. Otherwise you might want to check with your local CERT organization or fire department to see if they provide any kind of training to the public. Some ambulance companies will also take on interns to help provide training that could lead to employment at the ambulance company (or elsewhere).

Good luck!

Aquacordion

Quote from: Fubar on December 05, 2023, 06:10:20 PM
Quote from: Aquacordion on December 05, 2023, 03:39:01 AMIf I want to do more paramedical/emergency healthcare ES training, should I attend Lonestar then?

The website I found for LESA South (not sure if that's the one you're looking at) says they train based off the CAP task guide. There isn't any advanced level medical training taught for any of our qualifications since CAP is not a first responder organization, isn't licensed/insured to provide medical services, and doesn't have any medical protocols or a medical director.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hawk Mountain in PAWG does that sort of thing, they are known for doing a lot of training that isn't pertinent to CAP. They are also heavy on mountain survival, so expect that aspect to the training. Otherwise you might want to check with your local CERT organization or fire department to see if they provide any kind of training to the public. Some ambulance companies will also take on interns to help provide training that could lead to employment at the ambulance company (or elsewhere).

Good luck!

Thank you! This helps a lot in my prospects for my CAP career. Have a great day.  ;D
C/CMSgt Kinsey Roberson

jeders

Quote from: Eclipse on December 04, 2023, 06:49:25 PMLonestar is something TXWG does.

And not very well in my opinion.

Then I would recommend MOTS (Medical Orientation Training School). MOTS will train you on medical specialties and provide actual training that will help you become an EMT. I believe last year all of the graduates completed the requirements necessary to be able to sit for NREMT exam, but don't quote me on that.

Also, you'll never not be able to echo MOTS when you hear MOTS.

ETA:
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Aquacordion

Quote from: jeders on December 05, 2023, 09:48:58 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 04, 2023, 06:49:25 PMLonestar is something TXWG does.

And not very well in my opinion.

Then I would recommend MOTS (Medical Orientation Training School). MOTS will train you on medical specialties and provide actual training that will help you become an EMT. I believe last year all of the graduates completed the requirements necessary to be able to sit for NREMT exam, but don't quote me on that.

Also, you'll never not be able to echo MOTS when you hear MOTS.

ETA:

This sounds great, I'll have to do this over the summer! Sounds a lot better than going to Hawk Mountain for 2 years for the medical training haha.

Thank you. :)
C/CMSgt Kinsey Roberson