Main Menu

Portable Flight simulator

Started by sdflyguy, April 11, 2019, 08:54:12 AM

sdflyguy

My squadron and wing have requested that I set up as portable computer based flight simulator as a traveling training tool.  My experience has been that travel with computer, controls, and a CRT is ill advised and leads to frequent damage.  Does anyone have experience in this area?  I would be overjoyed to find a "bullet proof" system to load into the van and go on the road with.
thanks  jgs437@rap.midco.net

THRAWN

Why won't a laptop with a plug and play joystick work? You arent building Skynet.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

TheSkyHornet

We have three squadron desktop PCs (+monitors and flight controls) on a television cart at our HQ. We just wheel it over, unpack, and set up.

But you need mobile...

I often bring my personal gaming laptop. Backpack + flight bag with my controls in it (and all the cables). I can bring an extra LED monitor with an HDMI cable, as well as my VR headset. It takes 5 minutes to speed set up, and about 10 to pack everything away nicely when we're done.

I can take my set virtually anywhere since I can either find an electrical outlet, hook it to a generator, or plug it into the outlet in my car.

I'm sure at some point, something will break. I snapped a gaming headset in half trying to put it in the bag. Totally my bad. At least it was mine. Went out and bought another one two days later. It happens. Expect that overtime, parts wear out and need to be replaced. I'm just dreading replacing my flight control cables, but the time will come eventually.

Eclipse

Quote from: THRAWN on April 11, 2019, 11:31:00 AM
Why won't a laptop with a plug and play joystick work? You arent building Skynet.

+1 - If you want to be fancy, use a projector.

"CRT" was a typo, right?

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Joystick?  Why not go for yoke controls? Make it more like you are training them for the Cessna, instead of just playing a video game.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

PHall

Joystick is much more portable. And even non pilots figure out how to use it in seconds.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: etodd on April 11, 2019, 09:35:03 PM
Joystick?  Why not go for yoke controls? Make it more like you are training them for the Cessna, instead of just playing a video game.

We have yoke setups as well.

But we're not conducting pilot training. It was an exposure to different aircraft flight controls (using the A-10, after which we discussed different aircraft designs and their control characteristics).

The portability of a HOTAS setup isn't so much the issue as where to mount it (just suction it to a non-porous surface), whereas the yoke has to be mounted and screwed down (which isn't always feasible).

CAPCom

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on April 12, 2019, 03:10:49 PM
we're not conducting pilot training. It was an exposure to different aircraft flight controls (using the A-10, after which we discussed different aircraft designs and their control characteristics).

As etodd stated, "Make it MORE LIKE you are training them for the Cessna" -- he didn't say or imply you or anyone is conducting pilot training.  If you have cadets going on o-rides in the Cessna, it makes sense to then get them flight sim time with a set-up similar to what they just observed and was right in front of them.  Besides, I think it was merely constructive criticism meant to point out an improvement that can be made for the sake of a complete experience.  The STEM kit we received for flight simulation included a yoke and pedals - both quite portable.  I agree that a joystick, because it's used for all manner of video games, is not the best choice.  It will do in a pinch, though.

PHall

Quote from: CAPDepCom on April 12, 2019, 05:36:58 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on April 12, 2019, 03:10:49 PM
we're not conducting pilot training. It was an exposure to different aircraft flight controls (using the A-10, after which we discussed different aircraft designs and their control characteristics).

As etodd stated, "Make it MORE LIKE you are training them for the Cessna" -- he didn't say or imply you or anyone is conducting pilot training.  If you have cadets going on o-rides in the Cessna, it makes sense to then get them flight sim time with a set-up similar to what they just observed and was right in front of them.  Besides, I think it was merely constructive criticism meant to point out an improvement that can be made for the sake of a complete experience.  The STEM kit we received for flight simulation included a yoke and pedals - both quite portable.  I agree that a joystick, because it's used for all manner of video games, is not the best choice.  It will do in a pinch, though.

Joysticks tend to be intuitive. Most people have very little trouble learning how to use them.

Eclipse

Just give them a realistic depiction of actual flight controls in 20 years.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

QuoteI agree that a joystick, because it's used for all manner of video games, is not the best choice.

Huh?  ??? ::)

Because joysticks have become very prevalent in video games is exactly why technology engineers have opted to use them in hand-controlled systems...because kids would have a greater relation based on experience and easier transition into operating them.

Are y'all out flying drones with a yoke? Many UAVs are even reverting away from HOTAS setups to use control pads.

xray328

+1 for the joystick.  We tried a flight yolk, the kind you mount to the table and it gotten broken pretty quick.  They get yanked on and the tabs holding it to the table break. You'll always have the parents with the 5 years olds that "wanna try" and when they break it those same parents will give you a "sorry" and walk away.  Even older kids slam the yoke back when they're about to crash.  Just put a $20 joystick in their lap instead.  This one works well  (Ok, its $33) ...

https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-3D-Pro-Joystick-Windows/dp/B00009OY9U?SubscriptionId=AKIAITNV2DFZ5GUWNVXQ&tag=techlounge0f-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00009OY9U