Memories - IN PROCESSING - the very beginning of enc

Started by Pulsar, October 13, 2013, 08:43:14 PM

Cadetter

Quote from: Eclipse on June 06, 2014, 10:31:43 PM
Members do not need to "blow off steam" - they come to CAP to specifically experience the discipline and structure
they never get in their real lives.  Goofing off robs them of that structure and sets a terrible example, not to mention
it implies that CAP members ever come close to the stress or expectation(s) that those in the military do.
They don't, they >want< to be there, and assuming the activity is being run properly, they are literally craving the
structure and intensity.

Goofing off to a small extent can sometimes be OK. CAP can be for "that type of" friends. But if staff goofs off it sends many messages, like 1) it's ok for you to, too, and 2) we're only human too. Both have pros and cons... I've seen squadrons strangled by straight-faced professionalism.
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

SilentPhantom

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on June 06, 2014, 10:01:40 PM
Quote from: SilentPhantom on June 06, 2014, 05:51:10 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 06, 2014, 05:12:45 PM
Quote from: SilentPhantom on June 06, 2014, 04:57:32 PM
Staff training for my wing's encampment stars in a few days and when the basics arrive next week, I'm gonna be like, "Welcome to encampment, and may the odds be ever in your favor." I wonder if I'll be able to do it with a straight face....

Credibility can only be lost once.
Quote from: THRAWN on June 06, 2014, 05:07:37 PM
Quote from: SilentPhantom on June 06, 2014, 04:57:32 PM
Staff training for my wing's encampment stars in a few days and when the basics arrive next week, I'm gonna be like, "Welcome to encampment, and may the odds be ever in your favor." I wonder if I'll be able to do it with a straight face....

For all that is good and holy, please don't...

haha i'm only joking! ;D  things like that are things I've only heard said during flight time and bearing busters  :o some staff just can't take their jobs seriously...

And......there's that silly "bearing busters" thing again. My three wishes to the genie evidently didn't work.

yes, i'm afraid they didn't....
C/2dLt

SilentPhantom

Quote from: PA Guy on June 06, 2014, 10:30:44 PM

Ha Ha. A staff member that can't take their job seriously should be fired and sent home. It demonstrates a lack of leadership and professionalism.

^+1
C/2dLt

Eclipse

Quote from: Cadetter on June 06, 2014, 11:23:27 PMI've seen squadrons strangled by straight-faced professionalism.

Strangled?
I promise you that you will never, ever hear anyone tell you that "Those cadets looks too 'professional".

There are degrees to everything, and a difference between taking your precious CAP time seriously, and
making it a worthwhile experience for all involved, and thinking that CAP is BMT.

A squadron engaged in effective, program-centric activities will never hurt for members or spirit,
but the ones who focus too much on the picnics, parties, and social aspects will find their members
wavering and less involved, since that's not what they joined for, and the entry-cost is too high for another
time-wasting coffee-clatch in their lives, and what happens, more quickly then you might expect, is
that you wind up with a majority of people only interested in the social, and few interested in the real work.
Fixing things from there can be >very< difficult, not to mention painful.

Balance is the key, something lost on many CAP CCs.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Balance?  You just told them that you can't blow off steam as it robs people of their hard core structured experience!

So what's going to be?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Cadetter

Quote from: Eclipse on June 06, 2014, 11:52:49 PM
Quote from: Cadetter on June 06, 2014, 11:23:27 PMI've seen squadrons strangled by straight-faced professionalism.

Strangled?
I promise you that you will never, ever hear anyone tell you that "Those cadets looks too 'professional".

There are degrees to everything, and a difference between taking your precious CAP time seriously, and
making it a worthwhile experience for all involved, and thinking that CAP is BMT.

I have heard someone say, "Those cadets are trying too hard to be professional, they should lax up a bit."

I miss where I referred to CAP as BMT.
Earhart Award, 2018

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on June 07, 2014, 12:06:45 AM
Balance?  You just told them that you can't blow off steam as it robs people of their hard core structured experience!

Duck, the point is coming over your head.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Cadetter on June 07, 2014, 12:11:15 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 06, 2014, 11:52:49 PM

Strangled?

I have heard someone say, "Those cadets are trying too hard to be professional, they should lax up a bit."

I miss where I referred to CAP as BMT.

No one said >you< did. It's a broader point.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on June 07, 2014, 12:13:45 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on June 07, 2014, 12:06:45 AM

Duck, the point is coming over your head.
Failure in communicating your point is the fault of the transmitter.  :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PA Guy

Quote from: Cadetter on June 06, 2014, 11:23:27 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 06, 2014, 10:31:43 PM
Members do not need to "blow off steam" - they come to CAP to specifically experience the discipline and structure
they never get in their real lives.  Goofing off robs them of that structure and sets a terrible example, not to mention
it implies that CAP members ever come close to the stress or expectation(s) that those in the military do.
They don't, they >want< to be there, and assuming the activity is being run properly, they are literally craving the
structure and intensity.

Goofing off to a small extent can sometimes be OK. CAP can be for "that type of" friends. But if staff goofs off it sends many messages, like 1) it's ok for you to, too, and 2) we're only human too. Both have pros and cons... I've seen squadrons strangled by straight-faced professionalism.

You came on here asking for advice about how to motivate to promote.  First, there is no magic formula. Every cadet is different and respond to different motivators. That requires LEADERSHIP that must be practiced. It also requires PROFESSIONALISM which you seem to have problem with. Based on what you have posted in various threads the main activity of your sqdn seems to revolve around "funning". While you think screwing with someone's uniform just prior to inspection is hilarious it is a violation of the Core Values. The two comedians who make fun of the cadet commander when they don't like his orders are violating the Cadet Oath. If the c/cc lets them get away with it that is a massive failure in leadership.

You and your sqdn have to make a decision. Do you want to be CAP cadets or a clown colony? You also need to practice leadership and yes, professionalism. Otherwise why would anyone take you seriously when you try to motivate them. Your call. FWIW

Cadetter

OK, here goes...

Quote from: PA Guy on June 07, 2014, 06:07:54 AM

You came on here asking for advice about how to motivate to promote.  First, there is no magic formula. Every cadet is different and respond to different motivators.

I was looking for ways that others worked. I definitely agree there's no formula.

Quote from: PA Guy on June 07, 2014, 06:07:54 AM

It also requires PROFESSIONALISM which you seem to have problem with. Based on what you have posted in various threads the main activity of your sqdn seems to revolve around "funning". While you think screwing with someone's uniform just prior to inspection is hilarious it is a violation of the Core Values. The two comedians who make fun of the cadet commander when they don't like his orders are violating the Cadet Oath. If the c/cc lets them get away with it that is a massive failure in leadership.

We are professional. We (minus staff) make jokes, when on 5 minute breaks and before meetings. The prankster only grabbed everyone's cover and rank because they agreed. If anyone had said no, they would have called off the prank.

As for violating his orders, they don't get away with it. They aren't making fun of the C/CC, they make the joke on themselves, and improve behavior.
Earhart Award, 2018

Cadetter

If anyone wants to continue this, PM me. I refuse to discuss this more in this thread. This has nothing to do with encampment, and I'm not used to setting off topic.
Earhart Award, 2018

Luis R. Ramos

Staff training for my wing's encampment stars in a few days...

I am pretty sure that others agree... staff are stars!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Garibaldi

Quote from: Cadetter on June 07, 2014, 06:44:27 AM
If anyone wants to continue this, PM me. I refuse to discuss this more in this thread. This has nothing to do with encampment, and I'm not used to setting off topic.

Holy crap on a cracker...a cadet admitting that this thread drift is actually detrimental to his question/concern. Mark the day down on your calendar!  :clap:
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Cadetter

Quote from: Garibaldi on June 08, 2014, 07:39:22 PM
Quote from: Cadetter on June 07, 2014, 06:44:27 AM

Holy crap on a cracker...a cadet admitting that this thread drift is actually detrimental to his question/concern. Mark the day down on your calendar!  :clap:

Lol... assumption there =P
Earhart Award, 2018