US Civil Air Patrol Name Rescinded

Started by sardak, November 04, 2007, 01:13:02 AM

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on November 24, 2007, 09:26:20 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 23, 2007, 11:13:30 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on November 23, 2007, 03:40:50 AM
New stickers are in the works for the A/C - red rectangles to go over the US part. Source - RUMINT from a Nat staffer.

Why would it be a red rectangle?  A blue one would cover the US and not be readily visible.

OOPS! Busted. It would be blue rectangles for the doors, and red for the tails. (But I don't recall seeing any tails with US on them.)

Why would they send out blue rectangles? Just remove the patch and replace it with the current one.
They're not painted on, it's a self adhesive patch made out of vinyl.

Now if they would just replace the prop and triangle insignia on the wings with a proper star and bar insignia.....

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on November 24, 2007, 04:13:10 PM
New stickers are in the works for the A/C - red rectangles to go over the US part. Source - RUMINT from a Nat staffer.

Why would it be a red rectangle?  A blue one would cover the US and not be readily visible.

OOPS! Busted. It would be blue rectangles for the doors, and red for the tails. (But I don't recall seeing any tails with US on them.)

Why would they send out blue rectangles? Just remove the patch and replace it with the current one.

A blue (or red) cover up is quicker and less expensive than a new decal.  I believe that that the insignia on the airplanes (at least) is supposed to be professionally installed, and they aren't exactly cheap.

"That Others May Zoom"

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: PHall on November 24, 2007, 04:13:10 PM

Now if they would just replace the prop and triangle insignia on the wings with a proper star and bar insignia.....

The prop-and-triangle has a lot of tradition behind it.

The first insignia on our aircrat was a prop-and-triangle in a blue disc.  The red prop was removed when the AAF took out the red circle in the center of the star.  (1942, after the Doolittle raid).

The current insignia was used in the 1950's.
Another former CAP officer

alamrcn

Does anyone have a "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" tape that hasn't been cut or sewn yet? I'd like to buy one off a member, or trade for a new-old one which I think I might have laying around.

I procrastinated getting them for my uniform (whew) but also did not get one for my collection. Now they seem to be unavailable from the Vanguard Empire.

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

SStradley

Quote from: alamrcn on November 24, 2007, 11:58:52 PM
Does anyone have a "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" tape that hasn't been cut or sewn yet? I'd like to buy one off a member, or trade for a new-old one which I think I might have laying around.

I procrastinated getting them for my uniform (whew) but also did not get one for my collection. Now they seem to be unavailable from the Vanguard Empire.

-Ace

Have you checked with the Hock Shop?
Scott Stradley Maj, CAP

"Duty is the sublimest word in the English language."  R.E. Lee

pixelwonk

Quote from: alamrcn on November 24, 2007, 11:58:52 PM

-Ace

It's sitting here on my desk waiting for a stamp.  I'll mail it Monday.

alamrcn

Thanks! Didn't want to bug you about it, heh.

The Hock Shop probably does have some of them still. Wierd that Vanguard pulled them.... wonder who gave them the order, but did not the membership to stop buying them? That's kinda confusing when the last official word (on THIS item) was to use the new US Civil Air Patrol tape, and now Vanguard is saying to use the old one.

Is this a paperwork problem, or did someone not pass the buck correctly to let us all know? I'm thinking "they" are still arguing a gentle way to break the news to the members, as well as come up with a time frame.

Lt Col White may have the skinny on the working status of an new, pending order.

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Eclipse

Quote from: alamrcn on November 27, 2007, 08:16:34 PM
The Hock Shop probably does have some of them still. Wierd that Vanguard pulled them.... wonder who gave them the order, but did not the membership to stop buying them? That's kinda confusing when the last official word (on THIS item) was to use the new US Civil Air Patrol tape, and now Vanguard is saying to use the old one.

Despite a few the conspiracy theorists, VG does not write the regs, and as we all know, whether something is or is not approved for wear does not seem to be connected to VG's stock.

Since these are readily available from other vendors, availability is a non-issue in regards to wear.

I have about 20 extra, which will be available to anyone who wants one for the cost of a SASE >AFTER< NHQ offcially recinds their wear on the uniform.

"That Others May Zoom"

JCW0312

The hock does still have some of the US Civil Air Patrol tapes. I noticed that the old style (new style ???) Civil Air Patrol tapes have returned to the Hock Shop.  And you guys are right, the US tapes have been pulled from VG's site and replaced with the old style. Kinda makes you wonder since at the moment "US Civil Air Patrol" is what's mandated by NHQ. Either someone at vanguard reads this board or they have a spy!  :D

Looking forward to the "uniform change of the week" next Monday...
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

alamrcn

I think many of us have learned to start avoiding being on the cusp of a uniform change. It's fun to be first - but various clarifications, corrections, or changes seem to imminantly follow the new stuff these days. I think I'll sit a couple months from here on out when changes come about, or even let some stuff ride right up to the phaseout date!

Whether you were "US Civil Air Patrol" or "Civil Air Patrol" tapes, just hold on tight and don't do anything right now. If you're like me, having a "50/50" chance means there is a right choice and the one I  chose!

Quote from: Eclipse on November 27, 2007, 09:23:56 PM
...whether something is or is not approved for wear does not seem to be connected to VG's stock.

There was that time many years ago when National had set a date for a fairly quick phase out of the Royal Blue smurf suit, then found out about an irreversable order the Bookstore had just placed for a couple hundred more -- oops! National quickly retracted the date, and I'm not sure how long it took before a new date was announced.

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

FlyingTerp

I received a new CAP photo ID card yesterday with "US Civil Air Patrol" along the top.  I was hoping that they would make the change to "Civil Air Patrol" since I ordered it just last week.   >:(

I wonder what is taking NHQ so long to put out some sort of official guidance and standardize back to the "Civil Air Patrol" name on everything.

JCW0312

Quote from: FlyingTerp on November 28, 2007, 04:15:47 PM

I wonder what is taking NHQ so long to put out some sort of official guidance and standardize back to the "Civil Air Patrol" name on everything.

And risk looking fickle?!?!?  ;D
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

Eclipse

Quote from: FlyingTerp on November 28, 2007, 04:15:47 PM

For starters, the uniform committees don't even meet until February...

"That Others May Zoom"

Grumpy

I would imagine that it will take some time to undo what the previous Nat'l Cmdr did and get back on track.  Give our new Cmdr some time.  I'm disappointed they didn't post the National Cadet Activities sooner.  The deadline for registering is 31 December.  But, I can see where there may be "a cog in the wheels of progress" with the holidays and all.  I have a feeling things will start changing faster after the holidays.

JCW0312

There's a quite a few people who have joined in the past few months that purchased and applied the "new" US Civil Air Patrol tapes, not to mention those existing members who took the initiative to change to the "new" tapes quickly. Given the fact that the US Civil Air Patrol tapes had a mandatory phase in date of 01 Mar 2010, is there going to be an even longer "phase back in" for the return of the Civil Air Patrol tapes?
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

CASH172

Quote from: Grumpy on November 28, 2007, 05:07:20 PM
The deadline for registering is 31 December.

You mean January 15th.  It was changed for this year. 

Grumpy

Thank you, that gives us some breathing room.  Can you tell me where was that posted so I can pass it on?

Thanks again,

JCW0312

Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Eclipse

The new CAP Cadet Staff Handbook has been released:

http://level2.cap.gov/documents/P052_015.pdf
The back page contains the most recent version of the MAJCOM >without< the "US" in the center.

"That Others May Zoom"