US Civil Air Patrol Name Rescinded

Started by sardak, November 04, 2007, 01:13:02 AM

Are they sending out a policy letter or something?  What other TP changes if any have been over-turned?

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

O-Rex

Quote from: Pylon on November 05, 2007, 02:44:40 PM
I wonder what will happen to all the new van decals that we rushed to replace?  The old seals were much more professional looking, and a tad more "descriptive" as well.

I for one would love to see a revised design for the vans that doesn't look like a hodge-podge of stickers from a Civil Air Patrol fan convention.

You're talking about the one that looks like the command patch, right?

If so, it's also slated for the sides of aircraft-I don't think it will be affected.

Ricochet13

Quote from: Chappy on November 05, 2007, 01:54:40 PM
They just announced that we will no longer wear or use U S Civil Air Patrol.  I am glad I only put one US CAP tape on one uniform.
Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on November 05, 2007, 03:14:23 PM
Are they sending out a policy letter or something?  What other TP changes if any have been over-turned?

Is this true?? And who's "They"??

Am I ever glad my squadron decided to go with blue golf shirts and grey pants for all members!  Nothing that needs up-dating, inexpensive, we're all "uniform", and not subject to the winds of change which seem to blow so strong and so quickly from different directions.

O-Rex

Quote from: Pylon on November 05, 2007, 02:42:04 PM
I feel bad for people who bought things like nametags (blue 2-line, brushed silver, BDU nametapes, etc.) all to have it rescinded shortly thereafter.  I did not purchase any such items, but maybe for their sake, they'll allow them to be worn for several years though not sell anymore.  A small "U.S." on the nametags won't throw off organizational uniformity anymore than it already is.

Save those "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" items (picture ID cards, nametapes and tags, etc.) as in 30-40 years, they'll be another one of those interesting brief-period-of-history items.   ;D

Great.

I'd gladly forego participation in the "footnote in Civil Air Patrol history" if I could get my fifteen bucks back...... >:(

jimmydeanno

Almost like the people who purchased the TPU only to have the grooming standards changed...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

jb512

And I predict that the TPU will not go away, but will have some insignia changes done in the near future.  I always wondered how we got away with having a uniform so close to RM, and I could see us being told to lose the AF rank slides and put our greys on, or something to that effect.

If you put a person within RM weight and grooming standards in a TPU aviator shirt next to any RM equal uniform most people with no knowledge of us couldn't tell that we weren't the same thing.

JohnKachenmeister

"And the steely-eyed but chubby sheriff stepped into the street, faced the angry crowd with the rope coming to get the Cuban, and with two words stopped the mob in its tracks..."

"Hold it."

The only body that can amend UNIFORM regulations is the National Board, not the NEC.  The NEC has directed that "USCAP" not be used in signature blocks and other references.  The NB, meeting (I think) in March may or may not change the regulation on nametapes back.

I'd say its likely.  Don't buy any nametapes that you don't have to.
Another former CAP officer

jb512

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 05, 2007, 08:53:02 PM
The NB, meeting (I think) in March may or may not change the regulation on nametapes back.

According to a letter we got forwarded from the Southwest Region commander, it's already been decided:

QuoteGentlemen – please pass on to all members of your wing (and Lt. Col. Mattiello please pass on to SWR Staff).  The NEC today confirmed that the official name of our organization remains "Civil Air Patrol".  All signature blocks should indicate that name.  Use of e-mail signature blocks indicating "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" or "U.S. Air Force Auxiliary" are not permitted and should be changed.  Please see my signature block below for an example of an acceptable one. 

Items such as vehicle emblems, stationery and uniform items indicating "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" will be phased out over a period of time, with further guidance to follow.

Joseph Jensen, Col., CAP
Commander
Southwest Region
Civil Air Patrol

JC004

Quote from: jaybird512 on November 05, 2007, 10:44:34 PM
According to a letter we got forwarded from the Southwest Region commander, it's already been decided:

QuoteGentlemen – please pass on to all members of your wing (and Lt. Col. Mattiello please pass on to SWR Staff).  The NEC today confirmed that the official name of our organization remains "Civil Air Patrol".  All signature blocks should indicate that name.  Use of e-mail signature blocks indicating "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" or "U.S. Air Force Auxiliary" are not permitted and should be changed.  Please see my signature block below for an example of an acceptable one. 

Items such as vehicle emblems, stationery and uniform items indicating "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" will be phased out over a period of time, with further guidance to follow.

Joseph Jensen, Col., CAP
Commander
Southwest Region
Civil Air Patrol

Out-freaking-standing.   :)

star1151

Quote from: jaybird512 on November 05, 2007, 10:44:34 PM

Joseph Jensen, Col., CAP
Commander
Southwest Region
Civil Air Patrol

Wow....so how long does it normally take for information like this to flow down to everyone?  It makes a difference for those of us still putting uniforms together. :-)

Chappy

This email was sent from SWR CC to Wing CC.  The Wing CC sent it to his list serve.  Anyone can join the list serve and receive the information.

At least that is how it works in TX WG.

Stonewall

Maybe we'll lose the American Flags too.  And maybe we'll lose the wing patches forever instead of making it a wing option.... 
Serving since 1987.

JC004

Quote from: Stonewall on November 06, 2007, 02:25:57 AM
Maybe we'll lose the American Flags too.  And maybe we'll lose the wing patches forever instead of making it a wing option.... 

DEATH TO WING PATCHES FOREVER!  (and may it hurt Vanguard)

Brad

Quote from: Stonewall on November 06, 2007, 02:25:57 AM

I'm actually for the American flag, especially in this post-9/11 age. That and the DHS missions.

As for the wing patches....DIE DIE DIE!!! Less for me to get sewn on my uniforms, especially the blues....read NOTHING! Hah.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

RiverAux

Through trusted communications that I've confirmed the original message about the signature blocks.  Also, it looks like the vehicle emblems, stationary, and clothing items will be phased out over time.  Although again, they will need to change the reg to change the clothing item.   The rest is stroke-of-the-pen stuff. 

O-Rex

Quote from: A.Member on November 05, 2007, 02:02:10 PM
BTW, for those that haven't learned yet, it does not often pay to be on the cutting edge of changes in this organization.  If something seems like a bad idea, such as this, it's likely to change.  Being an "early adopter" is likely to cost you money.  Everything has a wear out date.  ;)  >:D

No kidding: "salute & execute" can (literally) cost you in CAP.

I look on the bright side: nametapes can be resewn.  Glad I decided against that tattoo. . . .  >:D

Kinda like a guy who was in our Army Observer Course way back: he gets our aircraft name, "Mohawk" tattooed on his arm, then washes-out of the course.

"Bummer, dude: heard you now gotta go to Cook's school."

"Yeah, but first I have to get this tattoo retouched..."

Looking back, odds were against him from the beginning.

AlphaSigOU

Don't forget that the prohibition on using USAF AUX and USAFA also applies to flight suit name badges. (Especially those ordered through our usual under-the table suppliers that haven't been shut down by the C&D Gestapo! :)) For obvious reasons, we don't belong to the Blue Zoo (USAFA), and are not attached to HQ CAP-USAF as active duty personnel (CAP-USAF). I don't know how many times I've seen that on 'bag tags', but it ain't right.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: O-Rex on November 06, 2007, 06:00:01 AM
Quote from: A.Member on November 05, 2007, 02:02:10 PM
BTW, for those that haven't learned yet, it does not often pay to be on the cutting edge of changes in this organization.  If something seems like a bad idea, such as this, it's likely to change.  Being an "early adopter" is likely to cost you money.  Everything has a wear out date.  ;)  >:D

No kidding: "salute & execute" can (literally) cost you in CAP.

I look on the bright side: nametapes can be resewn.  Glad I decided against that tattoo. . . .  >:D

Kinda like a guy who was in our Army Observer Course way back: he gets our aircraft name, "Mohawk" tattooed on his arm, then washes-out of the course.

"Bummer, dude: heard you now gotta go to Cook's school."

"Yeah, but first I have to get this tattoo retouched..."

Looking back, odds were against him from the beginning.

You're right.  He's too dumb.

A smart guy would have used the tattoo as proof of his "Tribal Affiliation" and used the affirmative action programs to his advantage by claiming to be "Native American."

Hey... It worked for Ward Churchill!

Another former CAP officer

Eclipse

Just as the USCAP tapes were not required until 2010, once the board approves things, there will be an interim change letter issued which will contain its own sundowns.

Based on CAP's rather conservative nature regarding members spending money on uniforms, my guess is that we won't have to resew BDU's until Spring 2009 at the earliest.

"That Others May Zoom"

pixelwonk

"Sig remove" and "US Civil Air Patrol name" threads merged