CAP [Transformers]: "More than meets the skies"

Started by JC004, August 10, 2007, 04:20:37 AM

SAR-EMT1

OK, call me behind the times if you want to but; is it really important for CAP to have a tagline?

I can see absolutely zero value in one.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

mikeylikey

Agreed!  However, I like,  Civil Air Patrol: United States Air Force Auxiliary
What's up monkeys?

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 14, 2007, 02:47:47 AM

AGREED!
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

JC004

But I thought you liked the one from my ID card proposal from last year!  "Civil Air Patrol, Formerly the US Air Force Auxiliary - A Division of TP Fashions Corp."

docspur

Quote from: JC004 on August 14, 2007, 04:14:20 AM

But I thought you liked the one from my ID card proposal from last year!  "Civil Air Patrol, Formerly the US Air Force Auxiliary - A Division of TP Fashions Corp."

WOW! I can't believe you went there.  Bad El Tee! No soup for you...One Year!

Capt DL Spurlock, Commander
NCR-MO-127 - Trail of Tears Composite Squadron

Group IV Safety Officer
Missouri Wing

mikeylikey

Colgan......Post that pic if you still have it.  I lost it when my computer "fell" off the table. 
What's up monkeys?

jb512

"CIVIL AIR PATROL / UNITED STATES AIR FORCE AUXILIARY"

I second the motion...

I wonder how long it'll be before someone wants to put USCAPUSAFAUX on a nametag...

JC004

Quote from: docspur on August 14, 2007, 05:44:46 PM

WOW! I can't believe you went there.  Bad El Tee! No soup for you...One Year!

But..it's truuuue. 
Quote from: mikeylikey on August 14, 2007, 05:45:51 PM
Colgan......Post that pic if you still have it.  I lost it when my computer "fell" off the table. 

I have no idea where it went...deleted by Black Van Hackers probably...

Major Carrales

I learned something from a CAP National Report to Congress I was reading last night.

"Missions for America" was taken from a quote by Brig General Anderson.  I am, now sort of sorry to see it go. 

Salute and execute.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Paper Pusher

Hi all, I'm a squadron PAO. I've seen the new video to go with the program. Although the program is commendable the tagline sounds like a rip off of a cartoon. It's embarrassing!

Trouble

Quote from: jaybird512 on August 14, 2007, 05:55:30 PM
"CIVIL AIR PATROL / UNITED STATES AIR FORCE AUXILIARY"

I second the motion...

I wonder how long it'll be before someone wants to put USCAPUSAFAUX on a nametag...

I'll concur, and seeing no objections ... the motion carries.
Chris Pumphrey, Capt. CAP
MD-023

(C/FO ret.)

Sgt. Savage

Ok, I just threw my dog into this fight. It sounds ridiculous. I'm not sure anyone I've spoken to took it seriously at first glance. I'm no PR guy but... "Volunteers Protecting America's Future" is what I come up with. It portrays that we provide something to the country, both in missions and cadet programs, while suggesting we are going to keep doing what we do. It reflects the selfless part (read volunteer) and encourages people that are interested in volunteering to look at us.

It's not perfect but... I'm not a PAO for a reason.

SoCalCAPOfficer

"Volunteers Protecting America's Future"

I like that one also.   Good Work.
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

Sgt. Savage

To bad that the swollen heads in AL don't ask our opinion before they do these things.

Trouble

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on August 16, 2007, 12:25:42 PM
Ok, I just threw my dog into this fight. It sounds ridiculous. I'm not sure anyone I've spoken to took it seriously at first glance. I'm no PR guy but... "Volunteers Protecting America's Future" is what I come up with. It portrays that we provide something to the country, both in missions and cadet programs, while suggesting we are going to keep doing what we do. It reflects the selfless part (read volunteer) and encourages people that are interested in volunteering to look at us.

It's not perfect but... I'm not a PAO for a reason.

I like that one too!  Very nice. And all encompassing.

though we could always go with..........

US Civil Air Patrol:  " America's Last True Minutemen"
Chris Pumphrey, Capt. CAP
MD-023

(C/FO ret.)

SoCalCAPOfficer

Another great idea Trouble.    It just goes to show, that there are so many better ideas out there than "more than meets the skies".   CAP should hold a contest among the members for the new tag line.
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

Major Carrales

Quote from: SoCalCAPOfficer on August 16, 2007, 06:23:09 PM
It just goes to show, that there are so many better ideas out there than "more than meets the skies". 

With all due respect, it only goes to show how divided we are.  The Marketing Plan is supposed to be providing a united voice, it stresses LOCAL CAP and promote unity in public affairs.  Thus far, 80% this thread has done the opposite.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Sgt. Savage

Sir,

I think what has come about is the difference between a paid entity and a volunteer organization.

If I were being paid for my time, I could care less about what the Corporation does to sell itself, so long as it does it.

As volunteers, all we have is our pride. This tag Line is supposed to represent US. I am not more than meets the skies. How silly am I going to feel when I hand a flier to a kid at an airshow and he asks, "Do you guys drive transformers?"

I just hope we didn't pay someone to come up with that.

At the same time, if it works, I'll eat my BDU hat.

Major Carrales

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on August 16, 2007, 08:31:21 PM
How silly am I going to feel when I hand a flier to a kid at an airshow and he asks, "Do you guys drive transformers?"

Shouldn't be much, after all you are there to recruit the cadet candidate and then preform the missions...be they O-Flights, UDF training, Leadership or the like.   Tag lines are ancillary and likely forgotten.

I will echo the comments made before...y'all are making way too much of this.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Pylon

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 16, 2007, 06:26:58 PM

With all do respect, it only goes to show how divided we are.  The Marketing Plan is supposed to be providing a united voice, it stresses LOCAL CAP and promote unity in public affairs.  Thus far, 80% this thread has done the opposite.

Joe, we are a fairly divided and fragmented organization, especially when it comes to our marketing efforts.  We have about 5 or 6 different logos, at least three organizational names, zero brand identity with the community, no centralized marketing materials and no common graphics/appearance across our materials, irregular PR efforts throughout the nation, and a flurry of inconsistent, and often misinforming, websites that look like a patch-quilt stain on the internet.  

I wasn't at the PAO conference, and I applaud NHQ and all of you who attended for beginning to address these issues.  It's a massive problem that needs work by professionals who work with national-level clients and will take time to produce a unified, consistent, and complete plan.  So I don't know what was discussed, but adding another marketing "tag line" to the pile of disjointed marketing materials and campaigns that we have is not helping.  If anything, it's a distraction from the true issues giving the appearance of a marketing solution.

Steps in the right direction, probably.  But just realize it's a massive issue deserving of serious, lengthy conversation, debate, and thought.  Don't dismiss our criticism as empty banter designed to further disjoint our organization.   Rather, it is constructive concern on our part for the direction our organization is going with this sensitive and important project.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP