CAP [Transformers]: "More than meets the skies"

Started by JC004, August 10, 2007, 04:20:37 AM

JC004

So what say you about the new slogan unveiled today?: "More than meets the skies"

My initial feeling is we could have done better, but the trouble is that I can't think of anything significantly better myself.

Thanks to Midway 6 for the commentary

SJFedor

My thoughts?

I expect that in about 3 years our tagline will be "if you got money, we got planes"

I dunno, maybe there's a greater purpose. Maybe execs that give money to the organization get tickled when they see these cutesy little phrases on a pamphlet. Well above my pay grade.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

A.Member

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Major Carrales

It's short and to the point and is expressing the ideas of the surveys conducted (it is thus, data driven)

The tag line addresses the issue that most folks don't know what we are and, those that do, think we are a purely a flying organization when only some 10 percent of actual CAP members have anything directly to do with flying (Greenhut & Courter).

It shows that we are a CIVIL AIR PATROL, but also have many other facets. The video they showed explained it all.

The main goal is to portray CAP as a community service organization that has major ties to its service to the USAF.

In order for the organization to grow, we must appeal to all elements. How many times have we heard promises made to new and prospective members that cannot come through.

Yes, the flying is important and the MISSIONS are paramount...but Cadets cannot do them as flyers. Most people see CIVIL AIR PATROL and say "I'm not a pilot," I can't contribute.

"More than meets the Skies" says it all. We are a force multiplier of US air resources, but are much more.  Instead of trying to make an organization to "fit a slogan" a slogan was created to fit the organization.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

A.Member

It's quite simply one of the stupidest taglines I've ever heard. 

The fact that it's origins are an 80's kids cartoon makes it even worse.

Is the goal for us to be viewed as a professional organization or continue to be viewed as "Barney Fife"?  Because this tagline accomplishes the latter.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

JC004

This is a problem we've had for a while - having a decent brand mantra that describes such a diverse organization.  "Missions for America" had a nice ring/feeling to it, but wasn't very descriptive.  "Where imagination takes flight" wasn't that spectacular either.  Also, this has sort of a recruiting feel to it...it doesn't feel like something that would be right, for instance, on the top of our fact sheets.  ::shrug::

I like Guy Kawasaki's perspective on the "brand mantra."

Major Carrales

Quote from: A.Member on August 10, 2007, 04:51:48 AM

Is the goal for us to be viewed as a professional organization or continue to be viewed as "Barney Fife"?  Because this tagline accomplishes the latter.

No, the goal of CAP is to be relevant to the Communities, States and Nations they serve...that includes the USAF.  If ours is to be an organization that accompishes its Missions and has the synergy to keep the momentum going, then we are going to have to have a marketing plan that brands us to the communities from whence cometh the membership.

"America's Best kept Secret" did not accomplish that because it displays us as an invisible force, exactally the opposite of what is desired.

"Where imagination takes flight" Images of Ralph Phillips day dreaming in class.  And say very little.

"Preforming Missions for America" was sort of a buzz phrase, however, what does that mean?  It does not have substance.  Again, it says, "We need pilots to fly missions," and what?  Others need not apply?

"More than meets the skies" takes our name...Civil Air Patrol...which already brings to mind imagery of flying missions, but adds all the community service, cadet programs and aerospace education to show that we are more than that.  That there is a place for volunteers.

Yes, the flying MUST always be there, but there is more.  

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

Quote from: JC004 on August 10, 2007, 05:27:05 AM
This is a problem we've had for a while - having a decent brand mantra that describes such a diverse organization.  "Missions for America" had a nice ring/feeling to it, but wasn't very descriptive.  "Where imagination takes flight" wasn't that spectacular either.  Also, this has sort of a recruiting feel to it...it doesn't feel like something that would be right, for instance, on the top of our fact sheets.  ::shrug::

Correct, our goal is to reach out to people.  Only 10 percent of American's polled/surveyed knew was CAP was (Courter Aug 2007) of those, only a fraction of that considered CAP something that contributed positively to the community (Courter & Greenhut Aug 2007). 

All poor a score, in communities where we have made finds and saved lives.  That is the importance of good marketing.  The Scouts and American Red Cross, great sister organizations, have great PR and are household names.  We need to rate that. 

The PAO academy was the first stage in that process...the rest us up to us all.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one heard it did it make a sound?

If an aircraft falls in a forest and we make a miraculous save, and know one knows...are we relevant to people in the community?

Please don't get hung up on the taglines...the true purpose is getting the word out.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

A.Member

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 10, 2007, 05:27:33 AM
Quote from: A.Member on August 10, 2007, 04:51:48 AM

No, the goal of CAP is to be relevant to the Communities, States and Nations they serve...that includes the USAF.  If ours is to be an organization that accompishes its Missions and has the synergy to keep the momentum going, then we are going to have to have a marketing plan that brands us to the communities from whence cometh the membership.

"America's Best kept Secret" did not accomplish that because it displays us as an invisible force, exactally the opposite of what is desired.

"Where imagination takes flight" Images of Ralph Phillips day dreaming in class.  And say very little.

"Preforming Missions for America" was sort of a buzz phrase, however, what does that mean?  It does not have substance.  Again, it says, "We need pilots to fly missions," and what?  Others need not apply?

"More than meets the skies" takes our name...Civil Air Patrol...which already brings to mind imagery of flying missions, but adds all the community service, cadet programs and aerospace education to show that we are more than that.  That there is a place for volunteers.

Yes, the flying MUST always be there, but there is more.  
Not buying that at all.  The tagline is pure crap and laughable at best. 

As JC004 eluded to, it may be acceptable for a youth recruiting brochure but certainly nothing more.

Major Carrales

Quote from: A.Member on August 10, 2007, 05:35:53 AM

Please don't get hung up on the taglines...the true purpose is getting the word out.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

A.Member

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 10, 2007, 05:37:31 AM
Quote from: A.Member on August 10, 2007, 05:35:53 AM

I have no issues with getting the word out but that can be done without copying the tagline of a children's cartoon.  It doesn't even really make any sense.

SoCalCAPOfficer

Its not even good english.  Is there more than one "sky" ?   How does one meet it?  If there is more, what is it?  "Missions for America" was at least more descriptive of what we are about.  We can do better than that.
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

JC004

Quote from: SoCalCAPOfficer on August 10, 2007, 05:44:13 AM
Its not even good english.  Is there more than one "sky" ?   How does one meet it?  If there is more, what is it?  "Missions for America" was at least more descriptive of what we are about.  We can do better than that.

My sky is better than your sky.   :P

Major Carrales

Quote from: A.Member on August 10, 2007, 05:42:31 AM
I have no issues with getting the word out but that can be done without copying the tagline of a children's cartoon. 

Listen, no tag line is going to satisfy everyone, just swallow it...do your job well and let that speak for us.  

The Marketing plan is great...the Brigadier General is behind it and knows what she is talking about as well as a lot of other Professionals both in and out of CAP.  That is why I am so adamant about this, I was there are saw what is planned and, believe you me, it will work.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

Quote from: SoCalCAPOfficer on August 10, 2007, 05:44:13 AM
Its not even good english.  Is there more than one "sky" ?  

I don't know...ask Katherine Lee Bates who wrote in 1893

Oh, beautiful for spacious skies,
       For amber waves of grain.
    For purple mountain majesties,
       above the fruited plain.
           America, America,
      God shed His grace on thee.
And crown thy good with brother hood,
       from sea to shining sea.

QuoteHow does one meet it? 

How does one "meet a dealine?"

QuoteIf there is more, what is it?  "Missions for America" was at least more descriptive of what we are about. 

Look...a Mission for America...

Here's another...

What has that to do with us?

QuoteWe can do better than that.

Really? Let's hear it?

Anymore specious arguments?  ;)

All joking aside, it's a tagline...the Plan is good.  Any tagline can be ridiculed and will be.  Please, move beyond this ancillary point and hit the meet of the Plan.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

A.Member

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 10, 2007, 05:46:02 AM
Quote from: A.Member on August 10, 2007, 05:42:31 AM
I have no issues with getting the word out but that can be done without copying the tagline of a children's cartoon. 

Listen, no tag line is going to satisfy everyone, just swallow it...do your job well and let that speak for us.  

The Marketing plan is great...the Brigadier General is behind it and knows what she is talking about as well as a lot of other Professionals both in and out of CAP.  That is why I am so adamant about this, I was there are saw what is planned and, believe you me, it will work.
Brother, with all due respect, I'm not going to "just swallow it".  It's stupid!  The fact that you're trying to sit here and explain it should tell you as much.   

We're not talking about "the plan" here.  We're talking about the tagline.  And if the use of that tagline is part of the plan, then that portion of the plan needs to be reworked - regardless of who is behind it.  It's as simple as that.

Major Carrales

Quote from: A.Member on August 10, 2007, 06:03:02 AM

We're not talking about "the plan" here.  We're talking about the tagline.  And if the use of that tagline is part of the plan, then that portion of the plan needs to be reworked - regardless of who is behind it.  It's as simple as that.

Have it your way...we have reached an end here.  Your opinion is noted.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

JC004

Major Carrales

Commander
SWR-TX-454

JC004

^^ but in the end, Burger King still has triple Whoppers and that is outstanding   :)