Main Menu

Ask MIKE

Started by MIKE, April 12, 2007, 08:03:44 PM

RogueLeader

Why do ELT's sound like a submarine preparing to dive?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JC004

Why do I sometimes hear ELTs that aren't really there?

SarDragon

Quote from: CaptLord on April 21, 2007, 03:09:27 PM
Real Questions:

Was Lee Harvey Oswald really a cadet, or is that an internet myth and photo hoax?

You wanted real questions? You gottem'!

Capt. Lord

I recently saw a program about the Kennedy assassination and aftermath, and they showed a pic of Oswald in a cadet uniform that I had never seen before (ID card style), so I would be inclined to give that one a true vote.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SAR-EMT1

Actually I understood him to have been a Boy Scout and a member of an Army JROTC group.

He later went into the Marine Corps.
CAP cadet pic... does he have the AF AUX triangle? Or the pepsi patch?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

alexalvarez

In the picture of Oswald, he had the old "C.A.P.C."  cut outs which cadets wore.
Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014

SarDragon

Elided. See below.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyerthom

What is a challenge coin and what's so impressive about them? I never heard of them prior to CAP and Is aw two handed out today and have no clue why they're such a big deal.
TC

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: flyerthom on April 23, 2007, 06:25:12 AM
What is a challenge coin and what's so impressive about them? I never heard of them prior to CAP and Is aw two handed out today and have no clue why they're such a big deal.

Wikipedia.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_coin

JC004

Well because they are round (the coins!), some of our members think that challenge coins are food.  Lower-ranking cadets will also settle for electrical wires, but there is nothing like a challenge coin.  I like them, but mostly because I like shiny things.  I work extra hard for ribbon attachments so I can have more shiny.  I think I'm up to like 12 attachments now.   ;D  I'll let MIKE answer the rest, if he so chooses.

flyerthom

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on April 23, 2007, 06:30:35 AM

Wikipedia.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_coin

Re: Ask MIKE
« Reply #128 on: Today at 01:31:57 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: flyerthom on Today at 01:25:12 AM

Well because they are round (the coins!), some of our members think that challenge coins are food.  Lower-ranking cadets will also settle for electrical wires, but there is nothing like a challenge coin.  I like them, but mostly because I like shiny things.  I work extra hard for ribbon attachments so I can have more shiny.  I think I'm up to like 12 attachments now.     I'll let MIKE answer the rest, if he so chooses. 

Thank you both for the info and smile!
TC

SarDragon

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 22, 2007, 10:24:49 PM
Actually I understood him to have been a Boy Scout and a member of an Army JROTC group.

He later went into the Marine Corps.
CAP cadet pic... does he have the AF AUX triangle? Or the pepsi patch?

Cadets did not wear the pepsi patch.

What is the AF AUX triangle? I see nothing like that in here.

Oswald was wearing essentially the same style uniform I wore as a cadet in 1964. That's why I said cadet uniform.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RogueLeader

Whats the latest thing going in your wing?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eagle400

Why is Civil Air Patrol now called U.S. Civil Air Patrol, anyway?

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: 12211985 on July 02, 2007, 05:36:54 AM
Why is Civil Air Patrol now called U.S. Civil Air Patrol, anyway?

So we aren't confused with the Australian or Brazilian Civil Air Patrols...  ::)

:)

mikeylikey

^^  Why is every thread that was not a uniform/U.S. CAP/
I hate TP......turning into a uniform/ U.S. CAP/ I hate TP thread? 
What's up monkeys?

MIKE

To be fair... The thread was intended to be a way to get my opinion on various CAP and CAP Talk related subjects... Some stuff I just can't answer.
Mike Johnston

Eagle400

MIKE, what part of the cow does the Angus come from?

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: 12211985 on July 03, 2007, 12:41:16 AM

Angus is a type of cow vs a part of a cow. i.e. Holstein, Dairy, ect....

Referencing aircraft a cessna is a cessna, however there are 152's, 172's ect....

JCJ

Quote from: CaptLord on April 21, 2007, 03:09:27 PM
Real Questions:

How many lives have been saved by CAP ELT missions?

Capt. Lord

I know of 2 (in same crash about 3 years ago) - Mishap aircraft on final on ILS in IMC, crashed in remote area, ELT went off.  CAP aircraft with qualified crew happenned to be in general area RTB from maintenance and was diverted in flight by ATC, identified lat/long from DF'ing ELT (never saw the ground or the crash due to cloud cover).  Ground teams used lat/long to hike in to crash site.  Two survivors injured, third DOA.  Credited w/ 2 saves by AFRCC.  It was pretty impressive.

Of course we've all done lots of "fell off the bench in the avionics shop" ELT Missions

RogueLeader

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on July 03, 2007, 01:50:11 AM
Quote from: 12211985 on July 03, 2007, 12:41:16 AM

Angus is a type of cow vs a part of a cow. i.e. Holstein, Dairy, ect....

Referencing aircraft a cessna is a cessna, however there are 152's, 172's ect....

Sorry-- No Go.
There are Beef Cows and there are Dairy Cows
Holstein is breed in Dairy, Angus in Beef, etc etc.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340