Cadet shoulder boards

Started by I_Am_Twigs, April 30, 2018, 05:48:15 PM

I_Am_Twigs

So we have a set of shoulder boards at my squadron that I was allowed to take home and use to sew Velcro onto my blues. I was planning to use these but I have one problem, they have holes in them from when a C/Capt wore them. Is there any way I could get these holes out or would I have to go buy a new pair? I would like to use these because I don't want to go buy a new pair that are $30+, but I would also like them to look nice so I'm not walking around with holes in my boards.

Also any tips for sewing the Velcro in? I was planning to just do a couple strips on both ends, would that work well enough? I want it to be able to fit a cord under the board as well. I'm doing this on a newer style enlisted coat as well.

I had another question, but I've forgotten it guess I'll come back when I remember it  :P
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

Abby.L

Don't worry about the holes. They're not worth $30. If someone feels the need to nitpick, then they're wrong.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Eclipse

Don't sweat the holes, no will notice.

As to Velcro, if you go with a good heavy-duty / industrial type made for outdoor
use, and don't fiddle with them too mych, you should be able to glue them on without
sewing (or then maybe take a needle and hand-stitch the corners once they are glued.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

I would be VERY careful about "industrial" strength Velcro. Test it to see how much effort it takes to separate it. I have some that I had to put almost my full weight on to get apart. The stuff you can buy through Vanguard (or equivalent) is more than enough to hold on your shoulder boards.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

TheSkyHornet

Lost me.

Why are you sewing Velcro onto your Blues to hold on your shoulder boards? Slip them over the epaulets.

Jester

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on May 01, 2018, 11:47:25 AM
Lost me.

Why are you sewing Velcro onto your Blues to hold on your shoulder boards? Slip them over the epaulets.
The cadet is using an enlisted coat.

PHall

Lost me.

Only the "Officers" version of the jacket has the epaulets. The "Enlisted" version doesn't have them.
The Enlisted version is cheaper and usually available since there are more Enlisted jackets out there.

Eclipse

By "industrial" I meant the adhesive, not the hooks and loops - you're right, some will
hook up so hard they could pull the material off the jacket.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Jester on May 01, 2018, 12:28:32 PM
Lost me.

Gotcha.

I was picturing a short-sleeved Blues shirt.

PHall

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on May 01, 2018, 06:19:22 PM
Quote from: Jester on May 01, 2018, 12:28:32 PM
Lost me.

Gotcha.

I was picturing a short-sleeved Blues shirt.

Yeah, we haven't worn shoulder boards on that shirt since about 1974.

I_Am_Twigs

So yes, no? Should I get new boards or figure out a way to fix these ones? I was thinking maybe sharpie would make the holes a little less noticeable, has anyone tried that? And the holes do bother me, I'll survive if they stay but I'd much rather have neat/hole free boards.
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Use the ones you have and ignore the holes.

"That Others May Zoom"

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: I_Am_Twigs on May 02, 2018, 12:01:01 AM
So yes, no? Should I get new boards or figure out a way to fix these ones? I was thinking maybe sharpie would make the holes a little less noticeable, has anyone tried that? And the holes do bother me, I'll survive if they stay but I'd much rather have neat/hole free boards.

In the old days, we used to pass them around. One set for C/2ndLt or C/Maj; another for two pips or diamonds, another for three. Or...we'd just buy a second set before moving on to C/Maj (easier done when they cost $4.50 per pair).

The holes bothered me, when I wore shoulder boards. But there is no way to repair the holes. So, either live with them or buy another set. Your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Toad1168

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on May 02, 2018, 12:44:54 AM

In the old days, we used to pass them around. One set for C/2ndLt or C/Maj; another for two pips or diamonds, another for three. Or...we'd just buy a second set before moving on to C/Maj (easier done when they cost $4.50 per pair).

The holes bothered me, when I wore shoulder boards. But there is no way to repair the holes. So, either live with them or buy another set. Your choice.

And remember, it the holes bother you that much, you will end up buying two sets.  One now and one when you make C/Maj.

[ed. - fixed quote tags]
Toad

I_Am_Twigs

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on May 02, 2018, 12:44:54 AM

I've been doing something similar with the ribbon racks, each time I return a rack I'll leave the cardboard that I used on the rack. I think I'll start something like that with the shoulder boards, we need more shoulder boards in the squadron anyway.
C/Maj, CAP

I_Am_Twigs

I have an idea (might want to find you nearest bunker. ;D jk), what if a drop some clear glue or something then color it over with sharpie? Literally just came up with this and was wondering if it actually would work.
C/Maj, CAP

Luis R. Ramos

No, no, NO! Glue will smear the uniform. The fabric mends itself when taking to the cleaners. Or if a shirt, when you wash it.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

I_Am_Twigs

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on May 02, 2018, 04:08:27 PM
No, no, NO! Glue will smear the uniform. The fabric mends itself when taking to the cleaners. Or if a shirt, when you wash it.

I'm talking about the shoulder boards and filling in the holes from captain/1st Lt insignia
C/Maj, CAP

I_Am_Twigs

So I tried the sharpie, it does make the holes a little less noticeable but they're still there. I'm thinking about dropping glue to fill in the holes then color that over. And just to clarify, this is all on the cadet shoulder boards, not the uniform.

Has anyone tried the glue? I might just try it and if it doesn't work then I guess I owe the squadron a pair of shoulder boards  ::)
C/Maj, CAP

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: I_Am_Twigs on May 02, 2018, 04:32:24 PM
So I tried the sharpie, it does make the holes a little less noticeable but they're still there. I'm thinking about dropping glue to fill in the holes then color that over. And just to clarify, this is all on the cadet shoulder boards, not the uniform.

Has anyone tried the glue? I might just try it and if it doesn't work then I guess I owe the squadron a pair of shoulder boards  ::)

Jeezle weezle, you've heard from several people who have passed along direct knowledge going back to the 1960's  that the holes can't be repaired. Along with that knowledge, you have been provided with several options for how to live with the issue, ranging from buying more sets to borrowing untainted ones to simply living with it.

Asked and answered, already! Way past time to move on.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

ColonelJack

Quote from: Eclipse on May 02, 2018, 07:05:36 PM
Forget It Move On

I am so stealing appropriating that acronym, Bob.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

LSThiker

Quote from: ColonelJack on May 03, 2018, 10:14:49 AM
Forget It Move On

Jack

You are neither stealing nor appropriate it.  It is a known abbreviation:

Definition #2:
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=FIMO

<some foul language>

MSG Mac

Wear the used pair. No one should be close enough to see any minor wear and tear on the boards.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Quote from: ColonelJack on May 03, 2018, 10:14:49 AM
Forget It Move On

Jack

It has myriad uses - I first heard it while teaching motorcycle riders.

"That Others May Zoom"

BraveRifles19D

Here is your solution. https://www.vanguardmil.com/products/civil-air-patrol-cadet-officer-shoulder-board-for-service-coat

Just add your name, address and credit card number and in 7-10 days your problem will be solved.