Cadet Officer School as a Senior member

Started by TheSkyHornet, December 16, 2019, 02:57:38 PM

TheSkyHornet

Just looking for some insight as to what COS is like as a senior member and the benefit of it for both seniors and cadets (from the senior perspective).

I've had several cadets from my unit go down to COS over the years, and I'm strongly considering taking the time to go down to Maxwell. It's a trade-off for me, though, on the overall benefit and value-added experience.

What would I get out of it as a senior?
What would I learn that I can offer cadets in the future?
What is the level of interaction (and role) with cadets as a senior staffing COS?

PHall

Senior member staffing of COS is pretty much by invitation.

TheSkyHornet

Ned

I have served on COS staff a number of times, including last year.  Always as a flight seminar leader.  I found it to be an incredibly rewarding experience each time.  My job was to work directly with a cadet flight, normally consisting of 12 cadets.  Mentoring, coaching, and instructing.  Flight instructors typically work with a USAF co-instructor as a teaching partner, sharing equal responsibility for the flight.

The seniors working directly with the cadets normally go to all the academic classes taught by the USAF professors and instructors in order to lead the post-class seminars and facilitate the learning.  The seniors also have to complete the rather considerable reading assignments.  As a result, staffers receive an intense, high speed leadership classes directly from the horses' mouths.  A little bit like encampment, the days for the staff are long, including meetings late in the evening.  Unlike encampment, the atmosphere is academic - just like a college or university.  Most of the time during the academic day when you are not in the auditorium for class is spent in the seminar room with the troops.

On the bright side, senior instructors usually get a night or two off during the event.  Sometimes I go see the local minor league ball club and decompress for the evening.

There is also a smaller, but highly dedicated crew of seniors who serve as the administrative staff.  Their hours are even longer as they arrange the complex logistics and administrative work required for this successful event.

Finally, you should know that it can be a trifle . . . warm and humid in Montgomery, Alabama and everybody is normally outside for at least a few hours each day.

But I absolutely love working COS.  It is one of my favorite things to do in CAP.

Ned Lee

TheSkyHornet

So in that case, Ned, what does the application process look like?

This is way outside of my area of familiarity. I have never attended an NCSA, let alone this format of NCSA where they're not just looking for chaperones (and chaperoning is not my strong suit; I prefer to learn something or mentor/instruct).

Ned

To be honest, I can't remember how I wound up on staff the first time, but it has been over 10 years so perhaps I could be forgiven.  Since then, I've been a regular.  I still have to submit my application every year along with everyone else to make sure we are in the system.

There is a new Activity Director (AD) this year, LT Col Rob Smith.  In addition to applying for staff online just like any other activity, I would recommend sending him an email to let him know you are applying and hoping to serve.

I do know that - given normal turnover and work conflicts -  there are least 3-4 new senior staffers every year.  We are always looking for new folks.

Spaceman3750

+1 to what Ned said. SM staffing is a big issue at NCSA's.

For example, some people choose to assume that you have to be invited to NESA GSAR staff but that is 100% not true (though we do extend invitations to identified prior students and others in an effort to keep the hoppers full) and we are always in need of SM's who are willing to serve our students in the way a student-oriented environment demands, while taking 1-2 weeks off of work to do it (BTW if this sounds like something any of you would like to do, drop me a note because we're getting ready to start staff recruitment for 2020).

So, while I've never been to COS, if you're interested in serving definitely reach out to the AD to discuss it. You might surprise yourself.

OldGuy

Has anyone done a historical treatment of the COS program? I attended in the 70's and cannot find any documentation.

Offutteer

TheSkyHornet

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I put my packet in. So we'll see what happens.