No Cadet Officer and no Senior Members able to serve as Acting Cadet Commander

Started by Ned Stark, September 20, 2019, 09:48:34 PM

Ned Stark

There are about three other cadet officers in my wing. None of them live within 150 miles of my squadron. I would add my cadets have been mentored by cadet officers in the past couple of years. The current cadet commander is a C/Lt Col who is stepping down after two years. Their immediate predecessor as cadet commander was a C/Lt Col that aged out of the program this year and moved away. We also had a C/Capt aged out of the program this year and joined the military. Additionally we had a Cadet Lt that left for the military late last year. I did a good amount of mentoring with the two C/Lt Col's and the C/Capt. Three of these cadets were in my squadron when we only had five active cadets (several other cadets were on the roster, but not very active for various reasons).

Those cadet officers, 3 of whom no longer live in town, also helped us grow to a squadron with about 35 cadets. Those cadet officers when they were NCO's, had to take on a lot of responsibilities that would normally be given to cadet officers (before the 2018 rule change) and they thrived. As Cadet Officers they also took on many responsibilities that would normally be assigned to senior members and they thrived. Given the chance, good cadet NCO's will rise to the occasion.

I would also say we did a good job mentoring those cadet officers as well. In fact one of the C/Lt Col's went on to command the largest and most successful encampment in our wing in over a decade (we had over 100 cadets attending). Both C/Lt Col's would go on to serve as the Region CAC Vice Chair or higher at some point in their CAP careers. The third cadet officer was personally commended by an Air Force LT Col for his service as the communications officer of our wing's evaluated SARX. So our current cadets have been mentored by great cadet officers in the past couple of years. Finally I would add that that the two C/Lt Col's are the only two cadets to have receive their Eaker Awards in my wing, since I was a cadet (way back in the day).

JohhnyD

Quote from: Ned Stark on September 21, 2019, 04:40:30 PM
After talking to the our wing director of cadet programs and wing commander (who consulted with our region commander), we will be moving forward with having the cadet NCO's as a group plan meetings and fulfill the duties that would normally be assigned to a cadet commander. Since that is not explicitly prohibited by CAPR 60-1. I would also add that after 9 months of talking to parents, we do have a group of parents joining. Which will in the long term address our staffing issues. Thanks for the advise everyone.
Awesome!

CAP9907

Asked, many answers, self-resolved and we are done... I love this website.

As usual, PM myself or another Moderator should there be a need to add to this.

~9907

21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0