How old do cadets need to be for the Wings program?

Started by xray328, February 25, 2019, 03:58:29 AM

xray328

My daughter got this email...

"Thank you for applying to the Cadet Wings Program.  Unfortunately, due to your age, we are unable to consider your application this year.   We encourage you to re-apply next year.  More information on Cadet Wings can be found in CAPP 60-43, Cadet Wings Student Guide."

She's 16, there's nothing in the CAPP 60-43 that says she's not old enough to apply.

2.2 ELIGIBILITY
You must be a current cadet member in good standing at time of application AND throughout the
duration of enrollment. By FAA standards, you must be at least 15-years old for solo operation of
anything other than a glider or balloon, and at least 14-years old for operation of a glider or balloon.
Additionally, you must be a U.S. citizen and must pass your FAA Private Pilot Practical Test prior to your
21st birthday. Any cadet who already possesses a pilot certificate, except for a Student Pilot Certificate, is
ineligible for enrollment in Cadet Wings.

xray328

Apparently the problem is that she won't be 17 until November, the age required to take the FAA Private Pilot Practical Exam.  Once enrolled in Wings you have 6 months to complete your training.  Assuming she was enrolled 1 March, 6 months would be 1 September then she'd have to wait until the end of November to take the exam by which time she'd be a little rusty and probably not pass the check ride...makes sense I guess. 

BHeck73

Also, as a side note, besides her age, what is her current qualifications? I know that all the current selectees for Wings had already completed a powered flight encampment, solo'd, and have usually attained a couple more hours after their solo or flight encampment.

That may change, but that is essentially the "profile" of those that have been accepted in to the "wings" program.

xray328

She meets those criteria.  Last I heard the application process opens in October with funds rolling out in January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk