Main Menu

Alice Pack help

Started by maverik, February 15, 2010, 10:48:12 PM

maverik

So I recieved a Large ALICE pack from a friend and when I put it on the frame I realized it had no straps! Kind of a Catch-22, but I had this idea I have a medium ALICE pack could I just put the medium pack straps on the large one?
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

Eclipse

I don't see why not - I believe the difference is the pack, not the frame or shoulder straps.

"That Others May Zoom"

maverik

Alright I'll give it a go.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on February 15, 2010, 10:57:31 PMI don't see why not - I believe the difference is the pack, not the frame or shoulder straps.
You're right. The only difference is the pack. The medium can be used with just straps or a frame. The large can only be used with a frame, it doesn't even have the proper means to use the straps alone.

lordmonar

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 16, 2010, 05:11:25 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on February 15, 2010, 10:57:31 PMI don't see why not - I believe the difference is the pack, not the frame or shoulder straps.
You're right. The only difference is the pack. The medium can be used with just straps or a frame. The large can only be used with a frame, it doesn't even have the proper means to use the straps alone.
That's not true...I have an ALICE large and you use the attach points as you would on an ALICE Med.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

TACP

lordmonar is correct. I've been issued ALICE rucksacks of all sizes, and rotate 2 identical frames between the 3 sizes. Waist and shoulder straps are also interchangable, and you can find many which are more comfortable then the general issue.

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on February 16, 2010, 07:45:46 AM
That's not true...I have an ALICE large and you use the attach points as you would on an ALICE Med.

Yes, you can, but you can also use the ALICE Med without the frame...

(It doesn't look very comfortable, though.)

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on February 16, 2010, 03:20:25 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on February 16, 2010, 07:45:46 AM

Yes, you can, but you can also use the ALICE Med without the frame...
Re-read the thread.  :D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

maverik

Woohoo! Got the straps and pack on the frame but oh wait I forgot the ALICE god hates me so of course my lumbar pad buckle busted. So I'm using the pack without frame until I get a new lumbar pad.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

Hoorah

I like that saying. We all make mistakes; I just make them bigger so others can learn.

Hawk200

Quote from: lordmonar on February 16, 2010, 07:45:46 AMThat's not true...I have an ALICE large and you use the attach points as you would on an ALICE Med.
Is it a newer design? My large Alice pack (and ones of similar era) don't even have the means to use the straps without the frame. There's no place to attach them, it will only take the frame.

DC

Quote from: Hoorah on February 16, 2010, 06:54:45 PM
I like that saying. We all make mistakes; I just make them bigger so others can learn.
Psst: PM, just a suggestion...

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 16, 2010, 07:37:23 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on February 16, 2010, 07:45:46 AMThat's not true...I have an ALICE large and you use the attach points as you would on an ALICE Med.
Is it a newer design? My large Alice pack (and ones of similar era) don't even have the means to use the straps without the frame. There's no place to attach them, it will only take the frame.

That's the same with mine - medium can be either, large required the frame...

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on February 18, 2010, 03:04:51 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on February 16, 2010, 07:37:23 PM

That's the same with mine - medium can be either, large required the frame...
Sounds like yours is the same era as mine. I've never seen a large with the strap attachment points on them.

I've seen a few people hobble something together, but it's not very stable, and they all went and obtained frames for them.

Platelet

I suppose that this is a bad time to talk about the really great packs which have replaced the Alice in the field? >:D

That being said I still have, and use, my Mediuma and my Large.

Platelet

Hawk200

Quote from: Platelet on March 13, 2010, 05:28:17 AM
I suppose that this is a bad time to talk about the really great packs which have replaced the Alice in the field?
Not really. I already have one. It's nice.

maverik

^Oh are you talking about the Molle packs the Army is currently issueing?I played around with my brothers and thought it was pretty cool and would be good for mission base stuff set out to buy one and haven't found a dealer for the pack  I guess I have really bad luck.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

Hawk200

Quote from: maverik on March 14, 2010, 01:30:17 AM
^Oh are you talking about the Molle packs the Army is currently issueing?I played around with my brothers and thought it was pretty cool and would be good for mission base stuff set out to buy one and haven't found a dealer for the pack  I guess I have really bad luck.
eBay. I picked up everything on eBay to assemble a MOLLE 2 ruck for about 130 bucks. That was everything for the basic ruck: main compartment, frame, shoulder straps, waist belt, and two sustainment pockets.

Brand new in ACUPAT, it's probably several hundred dollars, but in DCU colors it's pretty cheap. There's an auction right now for the same setup I have complete for $120 (shipping is about $17).

Get the MOLLE 2 though.  It doesn't have a separate sleep system carrier, so it's easier to set up than the I version, has a lot more room to it, and more external real estate to attach pouches (this also keeps them more stable). It's a good deal for what you get, and you would probably never need to replace it for wear and tear reasons. For CAP purposes, there is no reason to have it in matching camo, it's just not relevant.

maverik

We seem to be tlaking about different packs lol.  The one I'm talking about is  like a 3 day has Molle on the back, 3 compartments, a zipper with velcro  that slants across for acces to a small pocket and a bit of velcro near the bottom. I have no idea what it's called but I'll try and find a pick.  Really my endeavor is to find a pack that can be good for holding mission base stuff like notebooks, pens/pencils, comm binder, snacks etc. but can also be used at first responder school this year and later on hold FR supplies.  And yes I have seen the STOMP 2's it seems a little overkill for CAP lol.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

Spaceman3750

I just bought 5.11 Tactical's Responder 24. It's red (which is what the handbook recommends), has a nice reflective strip along the bottom for a little extra visibility, it's very big with a compartment for a hydration system, and has MOLLE straps on the back and sides. I'm still working on filling it up so I havn't had a chance to try it in the field but it's solid and cheapish ($99 new from Galls).