Alternative to the L-Tronics Little L-Per?

Started by TankerT, April 20, 2007, 03:55:18 PM

TankerT

OK.  If you have used the old one... and the new one... you probably know that the new Little L-Per is a piece of junk.  (Not as sensitive... doesn't work for squat in the cold, and... in my opinion... not as accurate... once you're experienced that is...)

So... that being said... does anyone have any good alternatives that are reasonably priced to the Little L-Per.  (We keep using the old models... but... face it... eventually those will wear out...)

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

Al Sayre

We just got a new Seimac unit a couple of months ago.  During a UDF training course we recently held, we did a head to head test, and found that the Seimac unit was about 10-20 degrees off at 200 yards compared to the old Lper.  Up close it was a little better, but the old Lper beat it hands down.  YMMV
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Stonewall

I'm not scared of change, but when something new doesn't work as well as the old stuff, I stick with the old stuff.

Nothing beats an L'Per and Jetstream (now radio shack) $19 radio with AM freqs for close-in searches.  Nothing.
Serving since 1987.

JC004

Quote from: Stonewall on April 20, 2007, 04:34:52 PM
I'm not scared of change, but when something new doesn't work as well as the old stuff, I stick with the old stuff.

Nothing beats an L'Per and Jetstream (now radio shack) $19 radio with AM freqs for close-in searches.  Nothing.

Having a non-distress find or two (or twenty-some), the best things I've used have been Lper, Jetstream, and another cheap scanner.

<3 Jetstream

TankerT

I agree.  I've been around the block a while.  For close in, a handheld and body blocking is great.

But, the old stuff will only hold up for so long.  And, new units want equipment.  So, what should they get for the long/mid-range detection?

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

JC004

Quote from: TankerT on April 20, 2007, 04:58:09 PM
I agree.  I've been around the block a while.  For close in, a handheld and body blocking is great.

But, the old stuff will only hold up for so long.  And, new units want equipment.  So, what should they get for the long/mid-range detection?

Steal a newish L-per (old series) from another unit?   ;D

I found some info on another DF unit not mentioned here.  I dunno where it is...probably at home.  I'll take a look and let you know if I find it.   :)

ZigZag911

Quote from: Stonewall on April 20, 2007, 04:34:52 PM

Absolutely!

sschwab

Just to take this a bit off topic, how do you use the jetstream or radioshack radio when searching?  I just became a GT member, and I have heard of people using this, but I don't know how they do it.

2LT Schwab
Gateway Squadron
Missouri Wing

sardak

Quote from: sschwab on April 20, 2007, 09:15:51 PM
Just to take this a bit off topic, how do you use the jetstream or radioshack radio when searching?  I just became a GT member, and I have heard of people using this, but I don't know how they do it.

The basic technique is called body shadowing or blocking, the details of which are too much for this thread.  The same techniques can be used with any handheld receiver.  References to start with are:

http://www.cap-es.net/ES%20Electric%20Technology/ES%20Electric%20Tech.htm
where there is a section entitled "Jetstream Radios."

and CAP pamphlet 2 available from the NHQ website.

I would refer you to the Ground-UDF Team Reference Text and task guides, but there's nothing in them to describe the technique.

Mike

LTC_Gadget

I had to use that technique once when the target was on a major airport, among a cluster of executive aircraft hangars, and DFing with the standard antenna wasn't doing it 'cause the signal was bouncing everywhere.  I didn't have anything on me but the -elper. I'd tried walking through the hangers with the bare -elper, and into some of the a/c, because they had life rafts on-board,  to see if I got close.  I wasn't getting any closer that way either.  I went in to a local FBO desk, and asked if I could borrow a rubber-duckie antenna, put it on the -elper, held it against me and worked back(wards) 'til I found the target. 

It was in an airplane that they'd just started working on that morning, for which I'd asked the mechanic on-duty earlier, if the ELT was off.  He'd stuck his hand in the compartment to check the switch, and assured me that it was.  After body-blocking 'til I was standing under the tail of the QueenAire in question, I assured him that it was on.  With my back to the tail, and my shoulders parallel to the tail, no signal.. Twist either shoulder toward the airplane, and I had signal.  When the mechanic stuck his *head* in the compartment and *looked* at the ELT, he found it to be mounted 180 degrees from what he thought it was.  He hadn't switched it off, but *on.*  Oops..

I tried a little googling to try to find one of the A/C band radios, and RS doesn't seem to be selling them any more.  Alternate source for suitable substitute, anyone??

V/R,
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.

JC004

Quote from: LTC_Gadget on April 20, 2007, 10:12:42 PM
I had to use that technique once when the target was on a major airport, among a cluster of executive aircraft hangars, and DFing with the standard antenna wasn't doing it 'cause the signal was bouncing everywhere.  I didn't have anything on me but the -elper. I'd tried walking through the hangers with the bare -elper, and into some of the a/c, because they had life rafts on-board,  to see if I got close.  I wasn't getting any closer that way either.  I went in to a local FBO desk, and asked if I could borrow a rubber-duckie antenna, put it on the -elper, held it against me and worked back(wards) 'til I found the target. 

It was in an airplane that they'd just started working on that morning, for which I'd asked the mechanic on-duty earlier, if the ELT was off.  He'd stuck his hand in the compartment to check the switch, and assured me that it was.  After body-blocking 'til I was standing under the tail of the QueenAire in question, I assured him that it was on.  With my back to the tail, and my shoulders parallel to the tail, no signal.. Twist either shoulder toward the airplane, and I had signal.  When the mechanic stuck his *head* in the compartment and *looked* at the ELT, he found it to be mounted 180 degrees from what he thought it was.  He hadn't switched it off, but *on.*  Oops..

I tried a little googling to try to find one of the A/C band radios, and RS doesn't seem to be selling them any more.  Alternate source for suitable substitute, anyone??

V/R,

I've had to do that many times (mostly Philadelphia International).  Fun stuff!

I found some on eBay a while back...you might keep an eye out there.  A scanner will also do you some good, and some handheld radios help (VX-5R, the non-compliant kind). 

SarDragon

I have an IC-Q7 that works nicely for that, in addition to my Jetstreams.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

capdad

I have an Icom IC-91AD that I use to dial in the frequencies for training or missions.  I body block with it and it works better than any Elper, old or new.

starshippe

u might google the vk3yng mk 4 sniffer. there are some posts on here about it, and some u tube videos.

the first box out of the back of the truck is still the old l tronics. i was lucky enuf to buy one of the units made from the last batch of ic's that was found.

i had an rf deck for the marine band installed.

i believe they still repair them.

bill

3 distress finds
107 non distress finds

PHall

Quote from: starshippe on April 07, 2012, 05:01:37 AM

u might google the vk3yng mk 4 sniffer. there are some posts on here about it, and some u tube videos.

the first box out of the back of the truck is still the old l tronics. i was lucky enuf to buy one of the units made from the last batch of ic's that was found.

i believe they still repair them.

bill

Yes they still repair and service them.