A suggestion to Wing Commanders:

Started by Holding Pattern, September 23, 2021, 07:38:33 PM

Holding Pattern

When you are assigning someone to be a squadron or group commander, please remember to submit additional promotion paperwork when the regulations allow for it at the same time you submit the command paperwork.

---

Examples are SMWOG-2d LTs getting their 1st LT promotion along with their squadron command assignment, or your SMWOG-Capts getting their Major promotion along with their group command assignment.

Reference: CAPR 35-5 3.2

---

P.S. Don't forget to put them in the Command Track and assign them a mentor.

TheSkyHornet

So let's remember that a person doesn't automatically promote just because they're eligible for the position and the promotion that may come with it.

PHall

If you read the regs it says "promotion up to the grade of".
Neither automatic or mandatory.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 24, 2021, 03:33:55 PMSo let's remember that a person doesn't automatically promote just because they're eligible for the position and the promotion that may come with it.

Let's also remember that NOT promoting someone when they are taking on the job of command and are eligible for promotion is a bit of a slap in the face to the person who just accepted the responsibility.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Holding Pattern on September 24, 2021, 07:13:57 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 24, 2021, 03:33:55 PMSo let's remember that a person doesn't automatically promote just because they're eligible for the position and the promotion that may come with it.

Let's also remember that NOT promoting someone when they are taking on the job of command and are eligible for promotion is a bit of a slap in the face to the person who just accepted the responsibility.

Maybe, sometimes, a better route to go is to say "No, I don't think you're ready for that position" rather than putting someone in just because they are willing and that there is nobody else.

A 6-month senior member without grade has no business being put in as a squadron commander and being promoted to First Lieutenant right out of the gate. The likewise exists for group commander appointments.

My suggestion for Wing Commanders would be to strongly consider the impacts of using phrases like "Who else do we have?" and acting on that phrase alone.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

baronet68

Quote from: Holding Pattern on September 23, 2021, 07:38:33 PMWhen you are assigning someone to be a squadron or group commander, please remember to...

not select someone because they were the only, or the "least-worst", applicant.

Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

etodd

Quote from: baronet68 on September 26, 2021, 11:39:12 PM
Quote from: Holding Pattern on September 23, 2021, 07:38:33 PMWhen you are assigning someone to be a squadron or group commander, please remember to...

not select someone because they were the only, or the "least-worst", applicant.

How long can you let the position be vacant?
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on September 27, 2021, 12:19:57 AMHow long can you let the position be vacant?

You can't a charter MUST have a CC appointed.

Which doesn't negate baronet68's point.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spam

Options include standing a Squadron down to Flight status, and reorganizing it under a different, functional unit, with a solid Commander who would mentor someone to be ready to assume command. It has been done (been there done that) with success. Better to have competent supervision and mentoring from outside, coupled with a "get well plan" and time table, than to have a poorly untrained or ready person pushed into a slot for which they are set up to fail, in a flailing unit.

Once upon a time, I (as Deputy) arrived at my local unit meeting to find that the CO had just quit, had flipped the keys in the air to the folks on hand, and left. The new 2LT who literally caught the keys like a flower bouquet at a wedding reception then proceeded to pull an "Alexander Haig" and tell everyone he was the new Commander. Yeah, naw, Joe. Let's go call the Group Commander now. Follow the process.

None of this negates the point Pattern is making: when the command authority DOES make a selection either immediately, after a selection process, or after completion of a "get well plan" - making that grade advancement is a public sign of confidence in the selectee, and is a smart leadership move.

V/r
Spam

Jester

I would argue that putting someone in that slot but not promoting them to the relevant grade sends a signal to the commander that you don't really have confidence in him, and that message hits the troops as well. 

If the commander is taking on that immense responsibility you can at least promote the dude/dudette.  It's not like it busts your salary cap or anything.

I'd rather promote them, give them every piece of support I can, and if they actually fail bad enough demote them.  And that's the nuclear option after every mentoring and corrective action has been exhausted.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Jester on September 27, 2021, 01:18:54 PMI would argue that putting someone in that slot but not promoting them to the relevant grade sends a signal to the commander that you don't really have confidence in him, and that message hits the troops as well. 

If the commander is taking on that immense responsibility you can at least promote the dude/dudette.  It's not like it busts your salary cap or anything.

I'd rather promote them, give them every piece of support I can, and if they actually fail bad enough demote them.  And that's the nuclear option after every mentoring and corrective action has been exhausted.

This is exactly why we see 25-year-old commanders who are CAP majors and have no comparable specialty track or professional development accomplishments, who have no held a manager job outside of CAP, and have absolutely no project planning experience.

I think a probationary period before a promotion, in this case, is absolutely appropriate.

It's one thing to take a Lt Col and promote them to Colonel upon assumption of Wing Commander, or Captain to Major upon assumption of Group Commander. 

Be very cautious about double, or even triple, promotions. With the right candidate and the right personality, it might may sense. But remain flexible and avoid any SOP that expects someone to automatically be promoted.

Spam

Hornet,

As a former 25 year old Major when in his first Squadron command (and a later 29 year old LTC, with both of those duty performance promotions) I would respectfully disagree. My rationale:

The critical inflection point here is when the command authority makes the decision that the individual is selected and qualified to assume. If the authority (say, the Wing Commander, on the recommendation of the Group CC and Wing Vice) makes the decision that the prospective selectee isn't ready yet, then that is a "do not fill at this time" action. They need to either pick someone else, downgrade the unit/place it under another Commander, or disband the unit. If the selectee fully meets the standard, then the recommendation that Pattern is suggesting here is a great one. Pairing the selection announcement with the promotion sets the new commander up for success by announcing the full faith of the command chain in him/her.

Putting someone in on a "trial basis" and delaying the promo accordingly is a weak play. We do too many of those in CAP and it sends a message of poor confidence, that we half expect someone to back out or drop the ball, etc. Let's not do that.

R/s
Spam

EDIT:
PS, my thanks in retrospect to COL Emmitt Williams (RIP, Sir) and my Group team for their confidence in me at St. Louis Comp. Sqdn, and to the members I served there as we doubled the unit, served faithfully in the 93 Floods and earned a Unit Citation, together.  "Best Job I Ever Had".

Jester

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 27, 2021, 02:43:57 PM
Quote from: Jester on September 27, 2021, 01:18:54 PMI would argue that putting someone in that slot but not promoting them to the relevant grade sends a signal to the commander that you don't really have confidence in him, and that message hits the troops as well. 

This is exactly why we see 25-year-old commanders who are CAP majors and have no comparable specialty track or professional development accomplishments, who have no held a manager job outside of CAP, and have absolutely no project planning experience.

I think a probationary period before a promotion, in this case, is absolutely appropriate.

It's one thing to take a Lt Col and promote them to Colonel upon assumption of Wing Commander, or Captain to Major upon assumption of Group Commander. 

Be very cautious about double, or even triple, promotions. With the right candidate and the right personality, it might may sense. But remain flexible and avoid any SOP that expects someone to automatically be promoted.

Then they shouldn't be in a position. 

In this case a probationary period is basically saying "WHEN you screw this up, it'll probably be within this set time period.  By holding off this basic personnel action, I'm not only showing that I expect you to fail, but I also prioritize saving myself the time and effort to promote then demote you. 

Good luck. 

Why are your safety numbers so low?"

Eclipse

There is no provision for temporary or probationary grade appointments below Lt Col.
There are also no provisions for temporary Commander appointments for Unit and Group CCs.

Appoint them as either or both, and you can't remove them or demote them without cause,
and history has shown that anything much less then selling cadets on eBay (without the proper forms)
isn't cause for removal or demotion. 

IMO, if you have to be promoted upon appointment, then you haven't exhibited the experience,
time in service, or personal investment necessary for the respective job. Whether it's
"the only one left" or the mantra of "I'm too busy to worry about my own PD ET", neither
is a valid excuse, however CAP hasn't been in a position to reserve appointment to only properly phased
members (Seniors or Cadet) in at least 10 years, probably 15-20.

It's circular in that it's both a symptom and a cause of the situation CAP finds itself in.

"That Others May Zoom"

JohhnyD

Quote from: Spam on September 27, 2021, 04:17:43 PMThey need to either pick someone else, downgrade the unit/place it under another Commander, or disband the unit.
Exactly.
Quote from: Spam on September 27, 2021, 04:17:43 PMIf the selectee fully meets the standard, then the recommendation that Pattern is suggesting here is a great one. Pairing the selection announcement with the promotion sets the new commander up for success by announcing the full faith of the command chain in him/her.
Well said!