Seats Attention

Started by Kayll'b, August 10, 2021, 05:56:48 AM

Kayll'b

Good Evening,

It's been a while since I've been on here...

So basically I want to standardize seats attention and seats atease in my squadron...but I'm not sure where to find the regs.

So 1. Is there a reg in CAP for seats attention/atease, and 2. If there isn't, is the a USAF reg instead?

please and thank you,
C/Capt

Mitchell # 69847

Squadron Cadet Leadership officer

GCAC Recorder

Capt Thompson

I've never actually seen this spelled out, as I don't believe it's official drill, just something that's been passed down for years. Here, it's essentially sitting the same way you would stand at attention, feet at a 45, fists clenched like you're holding a role of dimes and along the seam of your trousers, back straight, etc. The only other addition is your back is usually 6" from the back of the chair, so you're sitting straight up and not leaning back. That's how I was taught when I was a Cadet, and how my Cadets do it now, but again this is mainly tradition passed down over several years and not actual drill. If someone else has an actual reference in a drill manual somewhere I'd love to see it.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

Jester

Not covered anywhere in writing.

PHall

Yep, not covered in either CAPP 60-20 (CAP Drill Manual) or AFMAN 36-2203 (AF Drill Manual).
But I do remember being taught this as a cadet and also remember doing it in both AF Basic Training and in Tech School.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Capt Thompson on August 10, 2021, 01:06:38 PMI've never actually seen this spelled out, as I don't believe it's official drill, just something that's been passed down for years. Here, it's essentially sitting the same way you would stand at attention, feet at a 45, fists clenched like you're holding a role of dimes and along the seam of your trousers, back straight, etc. The only other addition is your back is usually 6" from the back of the chair, so you're sitting straight up and not leaning back. That's how I was taught when I was a Cadet, and how my Cadets do it now, but again this is mainly tradition passed down over several years and not actual drill. If someone else has an actual reference in a drill manual somewhere I'd love to see it.

There is no command for "seats attention." The command would be "seats" from the position of attention. You would sit at attention. Your back would be straight, and you should be seated on the front third of the chair (not touching the back). Your hands would be in fists on your knees with your knees together and feet flat on the floor, touching (not at 45).

From a boot camp perspective, we were taught:
Command: "Ready." Action: Grab the back of the seat with your right hand.
Command: "Seats." Action: Sit down, maintaining attention, entering from the right-side of the chair.
Command: "Adjust." Action: In one movement, adjust your seat forward to be seated properly at the table.

So however you want to SOP it, the unit is free to do so. But it's more of a formality than it is an official procedure.

Oh, and leave out the command response "Kill!"