Help with starting a new squadron.

Started by MRW, November 07, 2023, 11:58:55 PM

MRW

I am a cadet in NYWG. In my area of the Wing, the squadrons tend to go county by county. Our counties are large in population and size. My county alone has almost 300000 people. Friends said they would want to join, but the drive is too far. So I looked into starting a school squadron. I found some information, and I had a meeting with my school officials. I have my building principal's approval and the superintendent's approval. My principal brought up a good point that it might be easier to start a squadron that is not affiliated with the school but that the school would be willing to host it. I have only been able to find CAPP 52-21. I already have more than 3 adults who would join to start the squadron. One was previously a senior member. I also have more than the 12 required kids interested in joining. Does anyone have any more information on how I can do this? Thank you.

Eclipse

1 - Yes, it'd be much easier to start a unit that simply meets at the school vs. a school program.

2 - You should consider your screen name here and elsewhere.  Being public on the internet is a
double-edged sword.

3 - Contact the Wing Chief of Staff and ask what their next-step requirements will be.

Though you indicate you have the requisite adults committed, starting a unit is not
a trivial proposition, and almost certainly the Wing will require that you find one or
more experienced adults to serve as the initial Commander and staff, as well as at least a couple
of experienced Cadet Officers to get the initial corps in shape.

Often this is done via temporary transfers for the purpose of the startup.

The Wing is going to want to see a solid plan for facilities, funding, PT, initial calendar,
and all the other pieces of a unit that members take for granted.

There are going to be a number of things that have to fall into place, assuming
everyone is amenable, including some level of NHQ approval if for nothing else then
the agreement between the unit and CAP for the use of facilities (contract).

You may have the school leadership's verbal approval, but often these types of things
have to go before a school board for final OK.

It sounds like you are off to a good start, but a reasonable expectation here, is 6 months to a year to
get this off the ground.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAPJOE

Quote from: Eclipse on November 08, 2023, 02:57:14 PM1 - Yes, it'd be much easier to start a unit that simply meets at the school vs. a school program.

2 - You should consider your screen name here and elsewhere.  Being public on the internet is a
double-edged sword.

3 - Contact the Wing Chief of Staff and ask what their next-step requirements will be.

Though you indicate you have the requisite adults committed, starting a unit is not
a trivial proposition, and almost certainly the Wing will require that you find one or
more experienced adults to serve as the initial Commander and staff, as well as at least a couple
of experienced Cadet Officers to get the initial corps in shape.

Often this is done via temporary transfers for the purpose of the startup.

The Wing is going to want to see a solid plan for facilities, funding, PT, initial calendar,
and all the other pieces of a unit that members take for granted.

There are going to be a number of things that have to fall into place, assuming
everyone is amenable, including some level of NHQ approval if for nothing else then
the agreement between the unit and CAP for the use of facilities (contract).

You may have the school leadership's verbal approval, but often these types of things
have to go before a school board for final OK.

It sounds like you are off to a good start, but a reasonable expectation here, is 6 months to a year to
get this off the ground.

I totally agree with everything that Eclipse said. I am in the process of standing up a new Squadron myself. I was chosen by the group and wing to do it and be Squadron Commander as I have 4 years of multiple staff officer position experience as well as being an Acting Commander and I have been working at it with others for that 4 years also. It definitely is not an overnight process.

MRW

So first thank you for the advice with my user name. Second, one adult is a teacher at our school who was previously a 1st Lt at my current squadron. Next, there are two of us from my current squadron who are looking into doing this I am a C/SMSgt and he is a C/CMSgt. We both have a lot of leadership experience from him being a medic at HMRS and myself being HMRS staff. Do you know of any pamphlets or forms regarding starting a squadron that I should look at? Again thank you for the help.

Eclipse

One place to look if you want some idea what is involved, is to review the 
the publications here:

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/members/cap-national-hq/inspector-general/sui

Each worksheet shows what is expected from the various departments in regards to
regulatory compliance.  Bear in mind that this is the bare minimum to keep the
doors open, and the actual day-to-day execution extends from and after these
pieces are in place.

Without putting too fine a point on it, being cadet staff at HMRS isn't really
going to translate to the effort needed to start and run a new squadron.
Your Wing CC, assuming he's amenable, will likely be looking for members with
proven Unit experience to get things going.

The first year of a new squadron is critical for long term success, and the rank
and file need to have functional processes in place, especially the cadets, as
their role is not figuring out a new squadron, its their own progression. That
goes for you as well.

You should really schedule a meeting with the committed adults and the Wing
Chief of Staff as soon as you can to see exactly what the expectations and
requirements will be at their level, or that it's even a viable idea.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Here is the workbook for incoming Commanders:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/CAPP_402_Transition_Guide_for_Squad_298E251EA67C8.pdf

Also, do not discount your current Unit Commander and other staff resources in regards to
both what is involved in running a squadron, and help in getting the new unit going.

Good CAP Commanders want to grow the organizaiton and understand increasing the number of viable
units in a Wing is good for everyone involved.

"That Others May Zoom"