The Civil Air Patrol March - looking for a score

Started by Capt Thompson, November 12, 2015, 03:44:52 PM

Capt Thompson

The Civil Air Patrol March, a.k.a. The C.A.P. is on the go.....you either love it or hate it, but it's ours nonetheless.

This coming year, CAP turns 75, and in a few months, my Squadron hits 65!!  Our local historical museum has granted us space for a display about the history of CAP, and our Squadron's 65 years of service to the community. We are also planning a presentation to the general public when it opens, which I'm working on now.

As part of this, I was hoping to maybe recruit a local high school band to come down and play a few selections, including the CAP March. The only sheet music I can find is a one page pdf with the lyrics and basic melody, but no instrument arrangements. Is this all there is, or would maybe the Air Force Band still have the arrangements laying around? Would the whole score have had to be copyrighted and registered with the Library of Congress maybe?

If anyone has any insights, can point me in a direction to start my research, or just happens to have a complete original score sitting at home, please let me know.

Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

TheSkyHornet

Perhaps just get some musicians to listen to it from the YouTube video and transpose it to sheet music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aawZ8xS5iQY

That's how I taught myself to play a number of songs that didn't have the greatest sheet music to reference.

SarDragon

I suggest that you reconsider. It makes a HORRIBLE earworm. I can only handle hearing it once every five years or so.

That said, a reasonably competent musician should be able to take the sheet music you have, and a recording, and build a score. They might need some industrial strength meds after listening to it so many times, though.

[first edit] And speaking of the LoC, check with them to see if there's a score available, and what any copyright status might be.

[second edit] Have you searched this forum for additional info?

Here's one post: "CAP Is On The Go" was composed by Josef Myrow and the lyrics were written by Capt. Robert Mills, CAP.  The song was copyrighted in 1959 and adopted as the official CAP marching song in 1960 by the National Board.  The current recording is performed by the Air Force Singing Sergeants.

More linkys:

Copyright Basics
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Capt Thompson

Searched....yes. Lots of links to the audio and lyrics, and much talk of earworms....no actual sheet music.
Capt Matt Thompson

PHall

Why would you want to inflict this "music" on your community? Do you hate them?

MisterCD

Might I suggest the original CAP music from 1943? I don't even know of a recording of it and very much would like to obtain one. As a bonus, I have the sheet music.

Capt Thompson

I sent this to a few musicians to see if one could knock out a basic piano recording to see what it sounds like. Very interesting sir.

Capt Matt Thompson

Capt Thompson

Quote from: MisterCD on November 13, 2015, 01:53:53 PM
Might I suggest the original CAP music from 1943? I don't even know of a recording of it and very much would like to obtain one. As a bonus, I have the sheet music.

The music director at my Church is working on a recording of this for me, but I was bored this evening and decided to input the notes into a score writing program and see what it sounded like.

Keep in mind I'm not used to the program, so it's a little more choppy than it would be if a skilled musician was playing it.

I'm not finished with the whole sheet yet, but this is all of the first page, and the second page through the words "Though the sky."

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-MIUFzHParhcHZqaG5FdU91S1E/view?usp=sharing

What does everyone think? Less earworms than "CAP is on the go?"
Capt Matt Thompson

RRLE

I hate to throw a damper on this but you might want to check the copyright status before recording this. Public performance without any fee is fine but recording or publishing may violate the copyright.

The copyright is on the second page of the document you published. It is 1943 and held by Allied Music Corp in NYC. I was unable to locate that company using google. It may have a successor company that holds the copyright. An entry in an old Copyright Office catalog also lists a Lawrence Salerno as a possible holder of the copyright.

Given the date of the work, if the copyright was not renewed, then it is in the public domain. However, if the copyright was renewed then the copyright is valid for 95 years from the publication date. The length of a copyright varies based on when it was originally obtained and if it was renewed (for those copyrights that had a renewal provision).

The burden is on the user of the material to figure out if the copyright is still valid for publication and paid performance.

In trying to track this down thru the copyright office, I found a second entry with the title "Civil Air Patrol March" and as secondary title "It's Civil Air Patrol for me!"

This is the full entry for the second find:

Type of Work:      Music

Registration Number / Date:
                   PAu000247500 / 1980-11-12

Application Title: It's Civil Air Patrol for me!

Title:             The Civil Air Patrol march / by Corinne Straehle and Rod
                      Straehle ; arr. Raymond Wilson.

Description:       1 v.

Copyright Claimant:
                   Corinne Straehle

Date of Creation:  1980

Authorship on Application:
                   words & music: Corinne Straehle & Rod Straehle.

Previous Registration:
                   Prev. reg. 1976, EP364413.

Basis of Claim:    New Matter: "new words & additional music."

Names:             Straehle, Corinne, 1925-
                       Straehle, Rod, 1925-
                       Wilson, Raymond

Capt Thompson

True, but it's highly unlikely that the copyright owner has kept the copyright current, especially since the Library of Congress had no record of it when I checked last night. Remember, when the original copyright was registered, it would have had a life of 20 years I believe. That number was extended by Congress 3 times thanks to Disney, but to be eligible for the extension, the copyright would have had to be renewed every 20 years. I doubt they would have kept it current, without trying to sell copies or make it publicly available somehow.

Capt Matt Thompson

MisterCD

Quote from: RRLE on November 14, 2015, 12:03:42 PM
I hate to throw a damper on this but you might want to check the copyright status before recording this. Public performance without any fee is fine but recording or publishing may violate the copyright.

The copyright is on the second page of the document you published. It is 1943 and held by Allied Music Corp in NYC. I was unable to locate that company using google. It may have a successor company that holds the copyright. An entry in an old Copyright Office catalog also lists a Lawrence Salerno as a possible holder of the copyright.

Given the date of the work, if the copyright was not renewed, then it is in the public domain. However, if the copyright was renewed then the copyright is valid for 95 years from the publication date. The length of a copyright varies based on when it was originally obtained and if it was renewed (for those copyrights that had a renewal provision).

The burden is on the user of the material to figure out if the copyright is still valid for publication and paid performance.

In trying to track this down thru the copyright office, I found a second entry with the title "Civil Air Patrol March" and as secondary title "It's Civil Air Patrol for me!"

This is the full entry for the second find:

Type of Work:      Music

Registration Number / Date:
                   PAu000247500 / 1980-11-12

Application Title: It's Civil Air Patrol for me!

Title:             The Civil Air Patrol march / by Corinne Straehle and Rod
                      Straehle ; arr. Raymond Wilson.

Description:       1 v.

Copyright Claimant:
                   Corinne Straehle

Date of Creation:  1980

Authorship on Application:
                   words & music: Corinne Straehle & Rod Straehle.

Previous Registration:
                   Prev. reg. 1976, EP364413.

Basis of Claim:    New Matter: "new words & additional music."

Names:             Straehle, Corinne, 1925-
                       Straehle, Rod, 1925-
                       Wilson, Raymond

I have had this particular piece of music checked in regards to copyright and the lawyer told me it is not covered under copyright any further. The Civil Air Patrol March is a separate piece of music and does exist, although I do not have a digitized copy of the sheet music on hand.

MisterCD

Quote from: 1st Lt Thompson on November 14, 2015, 03:41:24 AM
Quote from: MisterCD on November 13, 2015, 01:53:53 PM

The music director at my Church is working on a recording of this for me, but I was bored this evening and decided to input the notes into a score writing program and see what it sounded like.

Keep in mind I'm not used to the program, so it's a little more choppy than it would be if a skilled musician was playing it.

I'm not finished with the whole sheet yet, but this is all of the first page, and the second page through the words "Though the sky."

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-MIUFzHParhcHZqaG5FdU91S1E/view?usp=sharing

What does everyone think? Less earworms than "CAP is on the go?"

Might be choppy but HUZZAH! Well done on bringing this to life at last!!!

Capt Thompson

Here is the full version on Youtube, with lyrics in the description for those that would like to sing along.

https://youtu.be/VeiRuLSZTjw

Capt Matt Thompson

Capt Thompson

Here's the final version: https://youtu.be/PgEm1bam8pM

Increased BMP quite a bit, and added some snare and bass drum. Let me know what you think.
Capt Matt Thompson