Cadet Smith or Airman Smith?

Started by i_am_a_politician, October 23, 2018, 07:40:56 PM

Hawk200

Quote from: Fubar on October 26, 2018, 01:44:06 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on October 25, 2018, 10:29:33 PMgenerally address cadets by rank. I may not necessarily follow up with a name, if there's only one Sgt in a gaggle of airmen, I don't need to really specify.

Do you say "Cadet Sgt Snuffy" or "Sgt Snuffy"?

In the scenario I mentioned, I'd simply say "Sergeant." If there's only one sergeant, their specific name is a little unnecessary.

For example, "Is there a sign in roster for you class here, Sgt?" Or it could be, "Sgt, could you spare a minute? I've got some paperwork that you need to sign. "

Hawk200

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 24, 2018, 01:17:50 PM
Quote from: Fubar on October 24, 2018, 03:40:19 AM
That's a new term to me. Help?

It's a nomenclature for officers who call up and say their abbreviated rank on the phone, thus suggesting more weight.

For example:
An O-5 calls up a military resort to get his family booked up for a holiday weekend at a discounted rate.
"This is Colonel Smith. I was wondering if I can book on the Weekend Adventure Pass."
"Absolutely. Can I get your pay grade, Sir?"
"O-5."
"Oh, I'm sorry Lieutenant Colonel Smith. But the rate only extends to Colonels and above."

Kind of like naval officers saying "Lieutenant" (suggesting O-3) when they're, in fact, a Lieutenant junior (O-2), or "Commander" (O-5) instead of Lieutenant Commander (O-4).

In almost thirty years in the military, "Colonel" has been an appropriate form of address for a lieutenant colonel, just as "Lieutenant" has been acceptable for either a first or second lieutenant. Anyone wearing stars has been addressed as "General," you didn't call them "Brigadier General," "Major General," etc.

If you're doing a formal introduction, the full rank would be used, abbreviated to what has been referred to as "duty address."

"This is Lieutenant Colonel Smith of XYZ section. Colonel Smith will be managing such and such."

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Hawk200 on October 26, 2018, 11:16:45 AM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 24, 2018, 01:17:50 PM
Quote from: Fubar on October 24, 2018, 03:40:19 AM
That's a new term to me. Help?

It's a nomenclature for officers who call up and say their abbreviated rank on the phone, thus suggesting more weight.

For example:
An O-5 calls up a military resort to get his family booked up for a holiday weekend at a discounted rate.
"This is Colonel Smith. I was wondering if I can book on the Weekend Adventure Pass."
"Absolutely. Can I get your pay grade, Sir?"
"O-5."
"Oh, I'm sorry Lieutenant Colonel Smith. But the rate only extends to Colonels and above."

Kind of like naval officers saying "Lieutenant" (suggesting O-3) when they're, in fact, a Lieutenant junior (O-2), or "Commander" (O-5) instead of Lieutenant Commander (O-4).

In almost thirty years in the military, "Colonel" has been an appropriate form of address for a lieutenant colonel, just as "Lieutenant" has been acceptable for either a first or second lieutenant. Anyone wearing stars has been addressed as "General," you didn't call them "Brigadier General," "Major General," etc.

If you're doing a formal introduction, the full rank would be used, abbreviated to what has been referred to as "duty address."

"This is Lieutenant Colonel Smith of XYZ section. Colonel Smith will be managing such and such."

Not the point, Sir.

It's referring to specific people who use the shortened title to gain a higher respect. Full-birds pull more weight than oaks. That's the whole point.

Jeez, this has turned into typical CAP Talk "But what about?!"

etodd

Must vary by Wing a lot. At most missions , SAREXs, etc., I've been to, all the Senior members walking in will say "Hey Bob, how's it going?" "Just fine Tom, what's up with you?".  I've never seen anyone salute either.

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Fubar

Quote from: etodd on October 26, 2018, 06:36:46 PM
Must vary by Wing a lot. At most missions , SAREXs, etc., I've been to, all the Senior members walking in will say "Hey Bob, how's it going?" "Just fine Tom, what's up with you?".  I've never seen anyone salute either.

To be fair, the discussion here is about cadets where grade is actually indicative as to how far they have progressed through the cadet program. Compared to senior members, their rank actually means something.

Hawk200

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 26, 2018, 03:52:41 PM
Not the point, Sir.

It's referring to specific people who use the shortened title to gain a higher respect. Full-birds pull more weight than oaks. That's the whole point.

Fair enough. Most of the individuals that I knew of that were using duty address, I was fully aware of their actual rank.

Misrepresenting one's rank by using duty address would likely be considered unethical by most.

PHall

The Cadet Program world is very different then then what senior members involved with ES see.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on October 26, 2018, 11:47:24 PM

The Cadet Program world is very different then then what senior members involved with ES see.

Ditto for those involved at a larger scale then the home unit and / or interacting regularly with outside agencies.

Maybe that's the source of the "whats the big deal, man?" attitude involving uniforms, policies, etc., etc., if your
CAP gig requires interaction with non-CAP agencies, especially if you are asking for resources or need credibility,
little things that are non-factors at the unit level become a much bigger deal.

"That Others May Zoom"