Main Menu

You know you are a CAP cadet if...

Started by titanII, January 26, 2011, 02:53:10 AM

titanII

Just thought it'd be a fun thread to see what you guys and girls think. I'll start you off:

You own one or more pair(s) of combat boots, and can shine them to a mirror

You learned to iron before you wore dress clothes, just so you could iron your uniform

You know that for some reason, a leaf symbolizes a Major

You find yourself counting cadence when you walk down the hall in school

Finish this off! This could be a really great thread!!
No longer active on CAP talk

Dad2-4

WIWAC in MCJROTC my friends and I would automatically fall into step together, in uniform or not.
I would iron military creases into my Sunday white shirt.
To this day I always have a straight gig line and check several times a day.
I can still polish boots to a mirror finish.
I tend to glance over someone's uniform to read their "resume" of awards and decorations.

SarDragon

+1 on Dad's 1, 3, 4, and 5.

I still walk in step with whoever I'm walking next to, frequently My Sweetie, who just giggles. She's retired Navy, too, so it's no big deal.

Gig line - always. And sometimes folks notice.

Polishing shoes gets a lot less of my time.

I did a brain dump the minute I no longer had to do mil creases, although I still know how. Now, I just don't have any urge to do so. Ever.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Huey Driver

With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

HGjunkie

Hmmm...

1. When your field gear is the same stuff you use for the boy scouts.
2. Your Blues/BDUs are absolutely perfect yet you wear a t-shirt on a daily basis.
3. You can spin a rifle 8 ways from Sunday but you can't toss a pen in the air and catch it to save your life.
4. You know 7 and a half ways to shine your boots and dress shoes to a mirror.
5. You get used to being called by your last name.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

BGNightfall

You may be a CAP cadet if:
1) You've done as many outdoor activities this year as a Boy Scout.
2) You've flown more hours this year than some pilots.
3) You've run more this year than your school track team.
4) You've practiced more leadership skills than your school's FBLA members combined.

GTCommando

Quote from: HGjunkie on January 26, 2011, 04:13:09 AM
Hmmm...

1. When your field gear is the same stuff you use for the boy scouts.
2. Your Blues/BDUs are absolutely perfect yet you wear a t-shirt on a daily basis.
3. You can spin a rifle 8 ways from Sunday but you can't toss a pen in the air and catch it to save your life.
4. You know 7 and a half ways to shine your boots and dress shoes to a mirror.
5. You get used to being called by your last name.

Dude, I know what you mean. I was a member for over 1 1/2 years before my C/DC knew my first name.  Especially funny, since I'm the C/CC.   ;D
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

NCRblues

I do not even respond to my first name anymore. Past cadet, AD air force...other than my mother i don't think i have heard my first name said in....15 years.... :-\
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: NCRblues on January 26, 2011, 05:37:50 AM
I do not even respond to my first name anymore. Past cadet, AD air force...other than my mother i don't think i have heard my first name said in....15 years.... :-\
Ditto for 12 years.

SarDragon

Oh, I went the other way. I'm first name all the way, except when around cadets, or in situations where proper military, or civilian social, protocol is required.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

rmcmanus

You know you are a CAP cadet if you find yourself moving to the left (keeping that person to your right) when walking with someone you respect.

Fly Boy

Lets see what I've gathered from my 4 years of cadetism:

You know when you are a CAP cadet if...
1. You start marching down the hallways
2. You find uniform discrepancies in movies/TV shows
3. You sing cadence to yourself while running
4. You can't hang your shirt up without it leaning over
5. You can throw a 9 pound rifle 10 feet in the air and catch it without injury
6. You are on-line AND in step with a person next to you without thinking about it

There's others but either they've been posted or I can't remember them.

C/1st Lt. Kaufman
SER-FL-169

HGjunkie

A few more:

1. You start collecting challenge coins which otherwise would be completely useless.
2. You can tell what every ribbon/badge is on a military or CAP uniform is and give a short summary of what it's awarded for.
3. You enjoy wearing BDUs.
4. You keep a copy of the regs on your phone for a quick reference during meetings.
5. You know the color of infinity, what infinity is, and how the cow is, and the 6 P's.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Top Dawg

(1) Know more people by their first name than their last
(2) Find yourself screaming at the TV when someone on a movie calls an NCO "sir"
(3) Got your solo license before your driver's license (true story, happened to my CC)
C/Capt Hillman
Cadet Commander,  GA-153

CAPC/officer125

1. (For the encampment junkies) You know you are a CAP cadet when you haven't had a "normal" Christmas or summer break in the last 5 years. (due to encampments or NCSAs)
2. You have the urge to get to the left of someone to talk to them.
3. You find yourself getting in-step with the person next to you in less than 3 steps.
4. You answer faster if called by your last name.
5. You can list off every ribbon you have, without looking, and tell the background of it.
6. It irks you to see the Curry ribbon as the top ribbon on an actors "military" uniform.
7. Of the almost 600 friends you have on Facebook, almost 450 are CAP. And you have to ask them periodically which encampment or activity you met them at because you have gone to so many (refer to #1).
8. When talking to friends, you realize that most of the time they are just nodding and agreeing with you when you start on a rant about another cadet or activity. Even after explaining several times what CAP is/does, you still get the blank stare.
9. You read and critique the uniform manual or read the drill manual to try to go to sleep.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

GTCommando

Quote from: CAPC/officer125 on January 27, 2011, 03:22:01 AM
6. It irks you to see the Curry ribbon as the top ribbon on an actors "military" uniform.

That happened to me just recently, only it was a Brig. General and he had what I'm sure was a Goddard ribbon at the top of his resume.  ::)
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

MICT1362

Quote from: NCRblues on January 26, 2011, 05:37:50 AM

Man, I don't remember your first name most days, and for almost 2 years, I didn't know it...

Only my family and a few coworkers use my first name.  Even my friends outside CAP use my last name.

-Paramedic

AngelWings

You know you are a cadet if you go to school and try to find the answers to a test with a L-per.

JoeTomasone

1.  When walking down the street, you starting hearing "Left, left, left" in your head.

2.  When asked how you are doing today, you answer "Outstanding!" automatically.

3.  When your mom tells you to have a good day, you answer, "Hooah".

4.  Mom understands not only what that means, but why you said it.

5.  Your birthday wish list starts with "New Molle gear!".

6.  When you crash while playing a flight simulator, you don't reset, instead, you wait for the GT to arrive. 

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: Donovan on January 26, 2011, 02:53:10 AM
Just thought it'd be a fun thread to see what you guys and girls think. I'll start you off:

You own one or more pair(s) of combat boots, and can shine them to a mirror

You learned to iron before you wore dress clothes, just so you could iron your uniform

You know that for some reason, a leaf symbolizes a Major

You find yourself counting cadence when you walk down the hall in school

Finish this off! This could be a really great thread!!

I always find myself marching in step, its weird.