Cadet Programs Regulations updates - Eff Nov 2019

Started by Eclipse, October 24, 2019, 07:58:40 PM

Fester

Quote from: Ned on October 29, 2019, 09:34:49 PM
It's a funny thing.

When we get set to release a new version of either the 60-1 or 60-2, we try to anticipate which new or revised provisions will elicit the largest response either here or on other CAP-related forums.

I'm not sure any of us bet on the grog provision. 

(My money was on the new alcohol provisions.)

Looks like we all get our money back.

Maybe we are, indeed, out of touch.   8)

Yeah.  I really don't understand the pushback on this provision.  For me, it's absurd because I've never seen the value a grog brings to our program.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Jester

Quote from: Holding Pattern on October 29, 2019, 10:13:08 PM
Quote from: Jester on October 29, 2019, 08:37:41 PM

Also, bearing tests are dumb and encampment staff trying to yell is the most cringe-inducing things ever.  Change my mind.

Bearing tests I can at least justify in the idea of training cadets to maintain their bearing regardless of their surroundings at major events, but most that I've seen are so over the top I can get the negativity that is associated with them.

As a cadet I didn't mind them.

As a cadet I did mind the grog bowl. To this day it still stands out as the worst experience I ever had in CAP.

I always see bearing tests make an appearance after that stupid video of the AF Honor Guard doing one with the rubber chicken makes yet another round on Facebook.

Eclipse

Allow me to assist:

I would hazard the gnashing of teeth on the above won't get loud until the summer activity season kicks in.

The formalization and specificity of the below is also welcome:

To me, bright line violations should be automatic "through the door or out the window", but I suppose
in the case of those under 21, perhaps there should be some opportunity for mistakes and second chances.

"That Others May Zoom"

Kayll'b

I my squadron grog is one of the most looked foreward to activities of the year. Yes, the cadets say this, not because they get to laugh at cadets, but because they have the fun of presure, truing not to get sent, and friendly competition. Last year I was sent 4 times. Best dining out of my life. And yes the grog was disgusting.

That being said I see the grog as a fun way to push excelence in the areas of uniforms, proffesionalism, and attention to detail, through the "rules of the grog".

Respectfully,
C/Capt

Mitchell # 69847

Squadron Cadet Leadership officer

GCAC Recorder

Fester

Quote from: Kayll'b on October 30, 2019, 06:41:23 AM
I my squadron grog is one of the most looked foreward to activities of the year. Yes, the cadets say this, not because they get to laugh at cadets, but because they have the fun of presure, truing not to get sent, and friendly competition. Last year I was sent 4 times. Best dining out of my life. And yes the grog was disgusting.

That being said I see the grog as a fun way to push excelence in the areas of uniforms, proffesionalism, and attention to detail, through the "rules of the grog".

Respectfully,

And now your leadership will be forced to find better, more effective ways of instilling excellence.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

jeders

Quote from: UWONGO2 on October 29, 2019, 09:14:01 PM
I remember being so confused at the first encampment I attended. I had a basic fundamental understanding of hazing and how CAP did not allow it, but there I was sitting at a dinner where cadets either sang or rhymed demeaning and hurtful ditties back and forth until the Vice of the Mess ruled who the "winner" was and sent the loser to the grog. It was the complete antithesis to what I understood our rules to be.

The problem here is that the grog bowl is supposed to be used to punish violators of the rules of the mess; in this case it was used as a game. In truth, all participants should have been sent to the grog for not keeping their comments "within the limits of good taste and mutual respect."

When we get set to release a new version of either the 60-1 or 60-2, we try to anticipate which new or revised provisions will elicit the largest response either here or on other CAP-related forums.

[...]

I don't know why, the rules didn't really change that much. So instead of going to the senior member barracks/dorm/area for drinks at encampment, we'll go to a non-CAP area or off post/campus, big deal. That said, I assume that there will still be a cash bar at the National Conference next year, just as there always is.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

SemperVigHooah

This thread went from hazing to literal toilets so quickly that it's scary.  :o

arajca

Quote from: Jim Lahaie on October 30, 2019, 01:38:04 PM
Well, for some units, the grog bowl IS a toilet.

SemperVigHooah

Quote from: arajca on October 30, 2019, 01:42:50 PM
Quote from: Jim Lahaie on October 30, 2019, 01:38:04 PM
Well, for some units, the grog bowl IS a toilet.
That's what I'm saying  ;D

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

Quote from: PHall on October 25, 2019, 05:17:40 PM
Yeah, that big sugar hit from the Brown Sugar might be enough to spell trouble for a Type 1 Diabetic. Especially if they didn't know it was there in the first place.

No, no. I didn't try to kill my wing DO with multiple trips to the grog bowl that one year at my squadron dining out. That was Mr. Vice.  (the grog bowl was not disgusting stuff, it was just punch or something, but it was kind of sugary)

How was Mr. Vice to know he was diabetic?

(Not entirely a true story, but close enough)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: Jester on October 29, 2019, 08:37:41 PM
Also, bearing tests are dumb and encampment staff trying to yell is the most cringe-inducing things ever.  Change my mind.

As seen on reddit: "Bearing tests: where one person loses their military bearing in an effort to force you to lose yours."

Although, in looking for the particular quote, I did come across this: https://imgur.com/gallery/FvQZ9aJ

which will induce someone to say "But sir, we're the auxiliary of the Air Force, and if the Air Force does it...."

The Air Force also lays hate on the bad guys from above, and we don't.

That video is the dumbest, most cringeworthy thing I've seen and the Air Force Honor Guard ought to be checking their bearing.

edit:
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.