Main Menu

Triangle Thingy?

Started by devone529, November 05, 2012, 12:30:26 PM

devone529

Whats up with the "Kill the Triangle Thingy" I mean isnt the symbol of the Civil Air Patrol? The symbol we have had? We should ALL Love the Triangle Thingy... now why are so many mad at it? ???
"The Americans will always do the right thing... after they've exhausted all the alternatives." — Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Officially changed to a more traditional triangle without any text in it.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: devone529 on November 05, 2012, 12:30:26 PM
I mean isn't [it] the symbol of the Civil Air Patrol?
No

QuoteThe symbol we have had?
For a relatively VERY short period of time.

QuoteWe should ALL Love the Triangle Thingy
That fails the logic test.

Quote[N]ow why are so many mad at it? ???
Because the Triangle Thingy was an unofficial symbol intended for one national conference. It then became prevalent in many national level publications without ever being approved as an official symbol, which most of us agree we already have too many of. As Eclipse said, the triangle symbol we have now is not the Triangle Thingy that was so hated and despised by so many of us here, though it's not terribly attractive either.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Cool Mace

Exactly what Jeders said. +1 mate.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

The CyBorg is destroyed

The Triangle Thingy is not, nor has it ever been, a symbol of Civil Air Patrol.

These are symbols from throughout our history, taken directly from the USAF web site.

TTT is a pop-art version of the propeller-in-triangle symbol that came from our early ties to Civil Defence:

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

RiverAux

Cyborg, the CAP-USAF patch is an AF patch, not a CAP patch. 

Thrashed

Save the triangle thingy

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: RiverAux on November 05, 2012, 07:27:12 PM
Cyborg, the CAP-USAF patch is an AF patch, not a CAP patch.

It is, and I am aware that the AF, not CAP, wear it.

However, it has a definite CAP connection, symbolically, and it is in the CAP section on the AF Shields website.

Quote from: Thrashed on November 05, 2012, 08:01:12 PM
Save the triangle thingy!

In the name of all that is obsequious, purple and clairvoyant, why?

It looks more like something one would find on a beer can.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

BillB

The top insiguia is for USAF Reserve personnel in CAPRAP, and I believe also HQ CAP-USAF.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Garibaldi

Quote from: CyBorg on November 05, 2012, 08:43:26 PM

You owe me a monitor and keyboard. I haven't heard that in ages! I spit cookie and milk all over everything. Oh, and go live in a swamp and be three-dimensional whydoncha...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

okeecap

I think the triangle thingy is not a symbol that represents the CAP nor its history.  This new symbol makes us look like some company that sells insurance or something.  I as a laymen would not see it and think search and rescue organization, like I said I would think company.

VNY

Quote from: Eclipse on November 05, 2012, 01:30:26 PM
Officially changed to a more traditional triangle without any text in it.

If you want an example of how this can be done correctly - I recently got an email from national regarding the style guide for putting a TWITTER logo on a CAP website.  If only we used the same standards for our own stuff.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Garibaldi on November 06, 2012, 06:07:32 AM
Quote from: CyBorg on November 05, 2012, 08:43:26 PM

You owe me a monitor and keyboard. I haven't heard that in ages! I spit cookie and milk all over everything. Oh, and go live in a swamp and be three-dimensional whydoncha...

Get all excited and go to a yachting festival!
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

devone529

:clap: OK Thanks, that really clears things up for me, since i am a new CAP Cadet. :clap:
"The Americans will always do the right thing... after they've exhausted all the alternatives." — Winston Churchill