CAP training USAF personnel in IT

Started by arajca, October 01, 2019, 01:02:55 PM

arajca

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

I literally checked the date of the article 4 times, thinking it was an April leftover.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Ned

Only on CT can we take good news like this and provide proof of bad attitudes.   ::)

Here, CAP gets the assistance of a small number of post-tech school young airman.  Restated, CAP gets the assistance of professionally-trained USAF IT folks, and in return we also provide some additional training and experience before these airman move on to their follow-on assignments.

I seem to remember no shortage of complaints on this very formum about CAP's IT system, and yet when innovative "out of the box" solutions to improve things are identified and implemented you all act like Eeyore is your spirit animal.

I call this a clear win-win for both us and our AF colleagues.

Ned Lee

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Ned on October 01, 2019, 04:16:57 PM
Only on CT can we take good news like this and provide proof of bad attitudes.   ::)

Here, CAP gets the assistance of a small number of post-tech school young airman.  Restated, CAP gets the assistance of professionally-trained USAF IT folks, and in return we also provide some additional training and experience before these airman move on to their follow-on assignments.

I seem to remember no shortage of complaints on this very formum about CAP's IT system, and yet when innovative "out of the box" solutions to improve things are identified and implemented you all act like Eeyore is your spirit animal.

I call this a clear win-win for both us and our AF colleagues.

Ned Lee

I see it as a win-win-WIN.

A strong peripheral benefit is a small but, hopefully, steady stream of USAF people who will progress in their USAF careers and never say "CAP? What's that? Never heard of it." 

Perhaps in some killing time session somebody will say "CAP is a joke. They just pretend their in the Air Force and hang around the BX trolling for salutes," only to be interrupted by "Hey, wait a second - have you actually MET them? I have. I was assigned to their National HQ for six months, and..."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Shuman 14

Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Holding Pattern

Now we just need CAP to start training CAP personnel in IT.

etodd

Quote from: Holding Pattern on October 02, 2019, 11:11:48 PM

How many Saturday morning training sessions would that take to get someone to X level?

Might be easier to recruit good IT folks.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

PHall

Quote from: etodd on October 03, 2019, 12:00:38 AM
Quote from: Holding Pattern on October 02, 2019, 11:11:48 PM

How many Saturday morning training sessions would that take to get someone to X level?

Might be easier to recruit good IT folks.

We have good IT folks as members already. They're just not allowed to do anything.

etodd

Quote from: PHall on October 03, 2019, 01:36:34 AM

We have good IT folks as members already. They're just not allowed to do anything.

But I get it.  Some volunteer jumps in and does a great job building out this and that.  And then he leaves (or dies), and the next person coming in sees all this custom code  of all different types that is not the new person's style or methodology, so it becomes a nightmare for the new person to change it all to "their way" of doing things. LOL
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

NovemberWhiskey

We have good IT people who are experienced in enterprise technology governance and other areas which mitigate those risks too.

If you don't think those things happen in companies with large technology footprints without specific oversight, controls and processes then you're in for a surprise.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: etodd on October 03, 2019, 02:22:58 AM
Quote from: PHall on October 03, 2019, 01:36:34 AM

But I get it.  Some volunteer jumps in and does a great job building out this and that.  And then he leaves (or dies), and the next person coming in sees all this custom code  of all different types that is not the new person's style or methodology, so it becomes a nightmare for the new person to change it all to "their way" of doing things. LOL

So instead we have shadow IT built into every squadron and wing that wants to actually make a difference, resulting in a hodgepodge of custom code on different platforms that will go boom when someone leaves or dies, except now it won't have any documentation whatsoever.