Army Basic Combat Training substitute for Encampment for Mitchell?

Started by horseraider12, April 19, 2013, 02:30:13 AM

horseraider12

Hello, this summer I may be attending Army Basic Combat Training. I may be joining the National Guard within a few days.  I have yet to attend a Civil Air Patrol basic encampment, and I really want to become a cadet officer, but the National Guard is for my career... so will CAP take the Army BCT over the cadet encampment? Waiver if possible? Thoughts? :clap:
C/Msgt

LGM30GMCC

Short answer: No. It will not.

No waiver possible unless CAP/CC waived it. Which is unlikely.

Enjoy Army Basic. Chances are you may not be able to attend encampment and become a cadet officer. Don't worry about that too terribly much. Depending on the time scale, if you still really want to stay in CAP you might consider going the flight officer (senior side) route.

Eclipse

Neither is like the other, and frankly after BCT, CAP in general is likely to seem pretty "turned-down".

The regs is the regs, but a lot of people in CAP feel that once a cadet goes to BCT, he's not really a cadet anymore in the way that CAP recognizes, and
should just be converted to Senior Member.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Also, keep in mind that if you are declared AD, you are not a cadet anymore, and should convert your membership, too. There's no coming back.

PHall

Quote from: a2capt on April 19, 2013, 03:05:32 AM
Also, keep in mind that if you are declared AD, you are not a cadet anymore, and should convert your membership, too. There's no coming back.

If you read his post he is joining the National Guard. And Initial Active Duty for Training does not count as "Active Duty" as far as CAP is concerned.

a2capt

I read his post. Notice I said, "if", and none of the initial training counts.

MSG Mac

Attend an earlier or later encampment and still attend BCT. There are also winter encampments in several wings. The Florida Gulf coast should be just right. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

wacapgh

Give some thought to getting your Mitchell first before signing up.

Instead of starting as an E-1, if your recruiter is eager to get you in you can enlist as a PFC/E-3.

It's a few dollars more each paycheck, but more importantly you will be accruing Time In Grade towards E-4 (minimum of 6 months as an E-3). Normally, you must have 24 Months Time In Service on top of that, but there are times when a local commander can waive up to 6 months from TIS if you are squared away. It worked for me -  made SP4/E-4 18 months after I enlisted  ;D.

What you learn at encampment will also apply to BCT - How to make a bunk, store your gear in a wall locker, how work as part of a Flight/Platoon, etc.

Stonewall

As a former cadet turned Army dude, I would suggest holding off on joining the Guard.  You're a high schooler, and you don't need to be a soldier TODAY.  You have 20 years before you're unqualified to join the Army due to age, but you have just a year or two before you become ineligible to earn the Mitchell.

I know you're excited and anxious to don a set of ACUs, but trust me, you won't regret holding off one more summer for BCT.  And don't let the recruiter or your unit persuade you either way.  This is YOUR decision.  You don't have to grow up and be a Soldier today.  You can be one tomorrow (i.e. next year).

Take it from me, the Army Poster Boy...

Serving since 1987.

MIKE

Mitchell can get you PV2 (E-2) for the Army IIRC, not PFC.
Mike Johnston

Stonewall

Quote from: MIKE on April 19, 2013, 09:40:27 PM
Mitchell can get you PV2 (E-2) for the Army IIRC, not PFC.

Correct, PV2.  However, the Guard often has different incentives.  A lot of times you don't need anything (Mitchell, etc.) to get PFC.
Serving since 1987.

cap235629

Quote from: wacapgh on April 19, 2013, 09:08:32 PM

Instead of starting as an E-1, if your recruiter is eager to get you in you can enlist as a PFC/E-3.

Only in the Air Force.  The regs for the other services mandate only E-2..... even if you are an Eagle Scout too....
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

J2H

I had E-2 upon enlisting due to College, then went to E-3 after graduating from Tech School (AF) after signing up for 6
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

68w20

Quote from: cap235629 on April 20, 2013, 04:24:28 AM
Quote from: wacapgh on April 19, 2013, 09:08:32 PM

Only in the Air Force.  The regs for the other services mandate only E-2..... even if you are an Eagle Scout too....

I picked up E-3 for Eagle Scout and GBMA, they were able to "stack" the awards and get me both promotions.  From what I've seen it depends entirely on the recruiter, and how willing the recruit is to make a big deal out of it.  And yes, do make a big deal out of it.  The pay difference between E-1 and E-3 is significant; but more importantly you're more likely to be considered for leadership positions in BCT/AIT, which can lead to consideration for Soldier of the Cycle (or whatever your training base calls it), which does have an effect on how your receiving unit will view you.  It gives you a massive leg up over traditional "walk-ins" that just got E-1, and all it takes is for you to politely and respectfully ask that they give you (in writing, in your contract) the advance promotion to which your achievements have entitled you.

NIN

Quote from: 68w10 on April 30, 2013, 04:09:53 AM
I picked up E-3 for Eagle Scout and GBMA, they were able to "stack" the awards and get me both promotions.  From what I've seen it depends entirely on the recruiter, and how willing the recruit is to make a big deal out of it.  And yes, do make a big deal out of it.  The pay difference between E-1 and E-3 is significant; but more importantly you're more likely to be considered for leadership positions in BCT/AIT, which can lead to consideration for Soldier of the Cycle (or whatever your training base calls it), which does have an effect on how your receiving unit will view you.  It gives you a massive leg up over traditional "walk-ins" that just got E-1, and all it takes is for you to politely and respectfully ask that they give you (in writing, in your contract) the advance promotion to which your achievements have entitled you.

^^^ This.

E-2 for the Mitchell, squad leader & platoon guide, later Solider of the Cycle in BCT and then Distinguished Honor Grad from AIT.  I had E-3 in 8 months, pinned on E-4 at 13 months. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Devil Doc

Well, I was an E-3 When I joined the NAVY due to JROTC. Took me 2 years to get E-4. In the NAVY advancement is based on a test, needs of the navy, awards, TIG and slots available. It is possible to be an E-3 for 3-4 years. If you want to jon the NG, im not stopping you. But, if you want to still be a cadet and get your mitchell, I would hold off.

C/PO2 NJROTC
C/MAJ AJROTC
HM3 USN
2nd Lt CAP

Whew ive been wearing a uniform for half my life!!
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

Майор Хаткевич

Over the last two weekends I've talked to 20+ POs/Chiefs, and one seaman apprentice. Great Lakes is top heavy like that. Lol.

Devil Doc

Great lakes in top heavy because its a training command. If they wernt staff at a school more than likley they are E-2/E-3/E-4.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Devil Doc

Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Devil Doc on April 30, 2013, 01:48:13 PM
Great lakes in top heavy because its a training command. If they wernt staff at a school more than likley they are E-2/E-3/E-4.

I know. It was great being back after 5 years.

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

Майор Хаткевич

Devil Doc

Well math is not my Strong point.

August 2001-May 2005 I was in JROTC
July 2005-Sept 2008 US Navy
August 2012-Present CAP

So thats............ And im 27 Born April 1986?
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Devil Doc

78 Months in Uniform, and i am 324 Months old. So thats............... 25%

Wow, Guess I am n00b :(

Unless you start at the age of 12 which is the Min age for CAP.

If you count Cub Scouts/Boy Scouts it is...7 years old they wear a "Uniform". So my percentage is higher.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Devil Doc

Quote from: Devil Doc on April 30, 2013, 04:52:20 PM
78 Months in Uniform, and i am 324 Months old. So thats............... 25%

Wow, Guess I am n00b :(

Unless you start at the age of 12 which is the Min age for CAP.

If you count Cub Scouts/Boy Scouts it is...7 years old they wear a "Uniform". So my percentage is higher.

Also "uniform" is a hard one, are we talking military? sports? Clubs? Etc :)
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Peeka

Thats 27% without counting boy scouts, with boy scouts (if you did it 7 years) 29%.

NIN

Quote from: Devil Doc on April 30, 2013, 04:43:23 PM

I graduated from BCT in April of 1986.  Thanks, thanks a lot.

I'll just go over here in the corner and DIE.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Devil Doc

Quote from: NIN on April 30, 2013, 04:56:11 PM
Quote from: Devil Doc on April 30, 2013, 04:43:23 PM

I graduated from BCT in April of 1986.  Thanks, thanks a lot.

I'll just go over here in the corner and DIE.

Its ok NIN, we need a Salt Dog in the bunch. Yes i do know that i am younger than the majority of the people in this thread. CAP has no age, am I correct?
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Майор Хаткевич

I do believe I was the only SM at encampment south of 40.

SarDragon

Uniform, CAP & Navy - 39 years and 61% if you leave off the 10 years I was "pay, no play", and 49 years and 77% if you count it all. CAP is just over 7 years older than I am.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret