Main Menu

LV V Award Certificate

Started by Ranger75, October 10, 2019, 02:43:48 AM

Ranger75

National informed me via email and eServices that they recognized completion of the requirements for the Wilson Award (#3702) back in August.  I have yet to receive the award certificate.  Should I have expected it in the mail by now and therefore need to ping National?  Having many years ago completed the cadet program (Spaatz #206), I'm proud to say I also achieved the same on the senior side.  It does feel a little strange holding the Wilson and IC qualification (expired) as a SM.  At some point, someone is going to take pity on me and take final action on my request for reinstatement of my previously held.grade.

MSG Mac

The Wilson certificate is normally sent to your Wing HQfor presentation at an appropriate time or ceremony. Check with your Wing HQ.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

TheSkyHornet

You'll find that a number of certificates "die" at Wing. They disappear.

A lot of times, Wings hold onto the certificates to be presented at an "appropriate time," such as a conference or professional training weekend or Wing staff meeting. And then either the individual doesn't know to show up (i.e., isn't invited), or the event never happens, or the award presentation is forgotten about. Then the award falls by the wayside and disappears in the vast darkness of some supply cache.

I had a Wing Commander's Commendation that I never received the certificate for. NHQ says they sent it to Wing. After some time, my squadron commander asked National for a re-send/duplicate. They emailed a PDF copy and said we could print it off, which is what hangs on my wall in my home office.

You're best to try and head it off early on. Expect to contact your Wing Admin Director, who will pass you off to the Wing Professional Development Director, who will pass you off to the Wing Personnel Director, who will say "we don't have your certificate/know where it's at."

kcebnaes

Sadly, I honestly have no idea where those are sent to at Wing HQs. As the Wing Director of Personnel and Admin, it'd be cool to have those shipped straight to me to arrange for presentation, but that's never happened.
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Great Lakes Region sUAS Officer
Various Other Things™

kcebnaes

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 10, 2019, 03:16:07 PM
You'll find that a number of certificates "die" at Wing. They disappear.

A lot of times, Wings hold onto the certificates to be presented at an "appropriate time," such as a conference or professional training weekend or Wing staff meeting. And then either the individual doesn't know to show up (i.e., isn't invited), or the event never happens, or the award presentation is forgotten about. Then the award falls by the wayside and disappears in the vast darkness of some supply cache.

I had a Wing Commander's Commendation that I never received the certificate for. NHQ says they sent it to Wing. After some time, my squadron commander asked National for a re-send/duplicate. They emailed a PDF copy and said we could print it off, which is what hangs on my wall in my home office.

You're best to try and head it off early on. Expect to contact your Wing Admin Director, who will pass you off to the Wing Professional Development Director, who will pass you off to the Wing Personnel Director, who will say "we don't have your certificate/know where it's at."

Man do I wish that wasn't so accurate. :(
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Great Lakes Region sUAS Officer
Various Other Things™

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: kcebnaes on October 10, 2019, 04:51:53 PM
Sadly, I honestly have no idea where those are sent to at Wing HQs. As the Wing Director of Personnel and Admin, it'd be cool to have those shipped straight to me to arrange for presentation, but that's never happened.

I hear ya.

It's the same deal when people hit up the CP directorate and ask who is presenting their Spaatz. Uhmmmmmmm...  :-\

Streams get crossed. "This isn't mine...this is yours (theirs)." One office doesn't talk to the other. Half the people don't get along as it is. And this is what we end up with: human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria.

arajca

Check with your wing administrator, not DA.

My experience with getting my Level V cert was asking the WG/DA at the wing conf following the award date and getting a surprised look back. She called National and found out they didn't send it. Or any of the four others awarded at the same time. She got them sent out and it was presented at a less auspicious occasion later (no, not just dropped in my lap).

PHall

Quote from: arajca on October 10, 2019, 05:28:38 PM

My experience with getting my Level V cert was asking the WG/DA at the wing conf following the award date and getting a surprised look back. She called National and found out they didn't send it. Or any of the four others awarded at the same time. She got them sent out and it was presented at a less auspicious occasion later (no, not just dropped in my lap).

IIRC National addresses them to the Wing PD shop. So if the Wing Administrator doesn't have it check with the PD folks.

MSG Mac

Same thing happened to my 50 year -lacquer which National sends. Wing presented 20, 30, 40 year certificates at the Wing a Conference. When I asked about the 50 year award, WC said it hadn't been received. Attended the National Conference where a 50 year award was presented-not mine. Ask the Wing C/S " Oh that's been sitting on my desk for a long time."
Still don't have it. Wing is having an awards dinner in Dec. Maybe I'll get it then.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: arajca on October 10, 2019, 05:28:38 PM

He is the DA.

It doesn't help that we don't have a Wing Admin right now (haven't since Spring). Isn't the Wing Admin a finance role?

Quote from: MSG Mac on October 10, 2019, 05:41:11 PM
Same thing happened to my 50 year -lacquer which National sends. Wing presented 20, 30, 40 year certificates at the Wing a Conference. When I asked about the 50 year award, WC said it hadn't been received. Attended the National Conference where a 50 year award was presented-not mine. Ask the Wing C/S " Oh that's been sitting on my desk for a long time."
Still don't have it. Wing is having an awards dinner in Dec. Maybe I'll get it then.

That's one of the things that really irks me. It gets brushed off like it's no big deal. Yet, everyone received their award...just not you.

Ranger75

Thanks for the replies and knowing what to expect.  Regards to all.

CAP9907

21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0