Main Menu

AFIADL Issues...

Started by Kenneth King, August 20, 2019, 10:37:47 AM

Kenneth King

Well, funny thing.  There were NO personnel files when I took command.  NONE!  My wife (Personnel Officer) and I have been quite busy to say the least!  I began my command by correcting SEVENTEEN (17) SUI discrepancies!  We were RED in all areas (May 10th) and now, we are Yellow in all areas except Cadet Programs where we are in the Blue!  PROGRESS!  It's the little things.  Hey, things can only get better, right? 

Spam

Yeah, you'd be a low risk candidate in my book (grin). Best of luck to you.

FYSA, I just tried to enter a new company grade commander into the command track, and eServices refused to allow the entry. He had full and complete Level 1, and a tech track in another specialty, etc.  eServices claimed (going from memory here) that the member needed to have completed Level 2 to be entered into Command.  That still doesn't seem right to me, but I haven't found a source for that feature.

I'd be interested if you (or the rest of y'all) have any data on that. We need to get every penny of (non) pay to the people who serve in commands.

R/s
Spam

Eclipse

Quote from: Kenneth King on August 21, 2019, 01:17:58 AM
Well, funny thing.  There were NO personnel files when I took command.  NONE!  My wife (Personnel Officer) and I have been quite busy to say the least!  I began my command by correcting SEVENTEEN (17) SUI discrepancies!  We were RED in all areas (May 10th) and now, we are Yellow in all areas except Cadet Programs where we are in the Blue!  PROGRESS!  It's the little things.  Hey, things can only get better, right?

OK, wow.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Spam on August 21, 2019, 01:39:30 AM
FYSA, I just tried to enter a new company grade commander into the command track, and eServices refused to allow the entry. He had full and complete Level 1, and a tech track in another specialty, etc.  eServices claimed (going from memory here) that the member needed to have completed Level 2 to be entered into Command. 

You won't, it's not a thing.  Most likely another issue eservices, not caught yet because that particular track
is largely dead.

Last I had to deal with this, only the Wing CC, per se, could enter a command track.  Has that changed?

Edit: I guess it's a thing.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spam

Quote from: Eclipse on August 21, 2019, 01:53:57 AM
Quote from: Spam on August 21, 2019, 01:39:30 AM
FYSA, I just tried to enter a new company grade commander into the command track, and eServices refused to allow the entry. He had full and complete Level 1, and a tech track in another specialty, etc.  eServices claimed (going from memory here) that the member needed to have completed Level 2 to be entered into Command. 

You won't, it's not a thing.  Most likely another issue eservices, not caught yet because that particular track
is laregley dead.

Last I had to deal with this, only the Wing CC, per se, could enter a command track.  Has that changed?

Thanks, Bob, I appreciate it.  Yeah, the boss got selected for SER/CC, so we're running the shop interim until her successor is picked. My CV privs may not be allowing it, but I had previously entered people (new commanders and a couple of deputies) into the track. Now its not working for this guy, and I can't remember what Level the others were when I successfully entered them.

(Concur on the track... but I try to help, and I thought it might be material to Mr. King, the OP here).

Thanks again
Spam

ßτε

From CAPP 222, page 11:

Prerequisites for Enrolling in the Command Track

Before entering into the Command Track several prerequisites must be accomplished:
• Must have been a senior member for at least 1 year AND be a CAP officer.
• Complete Level II of the CAP Professional Development program (See CAPR 50-17).
• Be recommended by the unit commander and accepted by the wing commander.
• Be assigned a mentor by the wing commander. It's important that the commander and the trainee agree on the mentor assigned. The mentor must have a record of successful command experience in accordance with the overview above.

Fester

Quote from: vorteks on August 20, 2019, 03:24:51 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on August 20, 2019, 03:20:37 PM
Quote from: Holding Pattern on August 20, 2019, 03:16:20 PM
Sometimes it is a matter of getting someone in the slot vs a squadron being deactivated.

Not ideal, but this is also why I believe one of my most important jobs over my 4 year command tenure is to make sure I have a replacement (preferably 2) in mind.

My last CC gave me 18 months of lead time as a deputy learning the ropes; I heartily wish every commander would take that idea to heart.

So deactivate now, or deactivate later. Putting an unqualified person in the chair just because they are there doesn't do the unit any favors. All it does is delay the inevitable.

Especially after the SUI ppl come a'knockin'

This seems rather closed-minded.

By the requirements you all have laid out, I am unqualified for my current position as a Squadron Commander.  I haven't graduated TLC or a UCC.  I didn't take SLS, I was credited for it due to previous Cadet Experience.  I didn't serve as an active Deputy before taking the reins.  Yet I took over from a Squadron CC that HAD taken all these courses.  And was leading a Squadron into the ground.  Who had an upcoming SUI in less than 2 months and was not AT ALL ready for it.  When I began getting us ready for our SUI, I did a self evaluation and we would have had enough discrepancies to be rated INEFFECTIVE.

Since that change in May, we have added 14 new members (a growth of 30.4%), have increased the engagement of our members, have gained back some of the members that were on the verge of leaving due to ineffective management and had only ONE discrepancy on our SUI.  One that was corrected before the report was even finalized by the Wing IG.

My experience has taught me that people rarely fit into the box you try to stuff them in.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Fester

Quote from: Kenneth King on August 21, 2019, 01:17:58 AM

I would encourage you to go paperless for your admin and personnel files.  There is very little that needs to be kept in a file system nowadays with eServices.  And paperless is so much easier.  Anything needed can be scanned and put into the file system.  The one I created is located on the Google Drive account associated with my Wing .gov email address.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

vorteks

Quote from: Fester on August 21, 2019, 06:16:08 AM
Quote from: vorteks on August 20, 2019, 03:24:51 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on August 20, 2019, 03:20:37 PM
Quote from: Holding Pattern on August 20, 2019, 03:16:20 PM
Sometimes it is a matter of getting someone in the slot vs a squadron being deactivated.

Not ideal, but this is also why I believe one of my most important jobs over my 4 year command tenure is to make sure I have a replacement (preferably 2) in mind.

My last CC gave me 18 months of lead time as a deputy learning the ropes; I heartily wish every commander would take that idea to heart.

So deactivate now, or deactivate later. Putting an unqualified person in the chair just because they are there doesn't do the unit any favors. All it does is delay the inevitable.

Especially after the SUI ppl come a'knockin'

This seems rather closed-minded.

By the requirements you all have laid out, I am unqualified for my current position as a Squadron Commander.  I haven't graduated TLC or a UCC.  I didn't take SLS, I was credited for it due to previous Cadet Experience.  I didn't serve as an active Deputy before taking the reins.  Yet I took over from a Squadron CC that HAD taken all these courses.  And was leading a Squadron into the ground.  Who had an upcoming SUI in less than 2 months and was not AT ALL ready for it.  When I began getting us ready for our SUI, I did a self evaluation and we would have had enough discrepancies to be rated INEFFECTIVE.

Since that change in May, we have added 14 new members (a growth of 30.4%), have increased the engagement of our members, have gained back some of the members that were on the verge of leaving due to ineffective management and had only ONE discrepancy on our SUI.  One that was corrected before the report was even finalized by the Wing IG.

My experience has taught me that people rarely fit into the box you try to stuff them in.

:clap:

THRAWN

Closed minded? Because commanders are expected to have some basic qualifications before they take the flag? Not really. In your case, you have met the prerequisites because of the time and experience that you earned as a Cadet. Your predecessor, while trained and educated, did not have what it takes to be a good commander. In any organization, you'll find that there are minimums to be met, especially for management/leadership/command. CAP is and should be no different.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Holding Pattern

As an aside, this is what CAPR 20-1 (I) has to say on the subject:

Squadron commanders are appointed by the wing commanders and have command authority over their respective units. Prior to selection as a squadron commander, it is highly desired that candidates have completed the following requirements completed.
(1) Officer Basic Course
(2) Squadron Leadership School (SLS)
(3) Unit Commander Course (UCC)
Circumstances may dictate that an individual be appointed to the position of squadron commander without having these courses completed. In this case, the new squadron commander should complete CAP Pamphlet 40-2, Just in Time Workbook for New Unit Commanders, within 30 days of their change of command. The squadron commander should then complete the desired training courses as expeditiously as possible.