Squadron's Lack of Care

Started by AvroArrow, January 07, 2010, 04:58:23 PM

AvroArrow

Hello everyone,

Let me start out by saying: (1) If this topic belongs elsewhere or is inappropriate in any fashion, moving or deleting it won't upset me; (2) I don't generally like to moan/complain, so I'll try to keep this short-and-sweet; (3) Through OPSEC, I'm going to keep things as vague as possible -- However, if I do give out a detail that's too much information or too descriptive, let me know and I'll make it more vague than before or remove it altogether; (4) I have not yet reached out to the Wing echelon as I feel the matter is neither that important nor worth their immediate attention so far; (5) I'd like to clearly state my objective here: because I value many of your opinions, I am seeking them on the concerns of this topic and for possible solutions/recommendations  -- I have not yet spoken to the Squadron Commander or Deputy Commander of Cadets (the former being in the hospital while the latter was unavailable at our last squadron meeting) and nor have I spoken with any adult other than my father (who is also the Testing Officer at the/our squadron); (6) The few times when I have spoken with my squadron leaders (Sqd/CC, DCC, C/CC, and C/DC), they appear reluctant to alter any of the status quo; (7) I understand that I am a new member and must find my place within the unit and I don't expect nor currently want command or authority in the Squadron -- I would rather earn my place in the unit than have it be given to me; ( 8 ) I have tried to voice my concerns with little response or feedback from any of my commanders; (9) My unit is small, having 13 cadets and 21 adults while not all members are even semi-regular.

Next, I'd like to shortly explain some of the background: (10) I originally joined CAP through "Squadron B" and stayed there until (the end of) July 2009. After dissatisfaction with the squadron's leadership, I transferred to another squadron -- the one at which I attend now -- which we'll deem "Squadron A;" (11) I transferred knowing the new squadron was more lax than my first but not knowing the extent of how lax it was (Note: I do not plan to transfer again; I want to settle, if not solve, this problem as best as possible); (12) Since I joined CAP, I have always gone after, participated in, and volunteered for the Cadet Program as it is a passion and hobby -- I will/can do AE and ES but I don't pursue them nor enjoy them as much; (13) I do consider myself an avid regulation reader though I never micromanage nor expect everything to be followed "to the letter" at all times.

With all that being said, I'll now explain the underlying concerns that we're here for:

Over these past months, I have noted that the matter in which Squadron A completes its tasks in meetings on the "Cadet Side" is often very lax, ill-disciplined, and with little Senior Member interaction. I am able to work with laxation and will adapt but it's difficult to work in an environment where few seem to care. Many of the meetings are also often on either end of the extreme: the cadets are either being pressured and rushed like headless chickens to do something or (near) completely left alone.

To illustrate some of the above, I'll briefly explain our latest meeting (05-Jan-2010): The scheduled event was PT. Because of the snow and ice outside, we ran the shuttle run inside, creating a 30ft space with two blocks on the opposite end form the start line. The C/DC explained to the other cadets that shuttle run completion was done by tapping the blocks. As the cadets set up the shuttle run, I quickly and privately expressed to my deputy commander that the shuttle run was supposed to be done by grabbing then dropping the blocks at each respective line rather than simpling tapping the blocks so they'd fall down. My concern was not accepted even after showing the CAPP 52-18. My commander's decision did not alter until a SM came to supervise then commented, on his own behalf, on the shuttle-run procedure. Before this SM, there had been no adult supervision beforehand (though we received supervision from thereafter).

I had later spoken with my cadet commanders after the meeting and was looking for feedback and wanting to discuss the above issue. Both expressed that they'd like me to not provide any comment unless it's vital (e.g. a safety hazard). In addition, they informed me that "both the Sqd/CC and DCC do not care how the Cadet Program is done so long as it's done;" their example was "the shuttle run can be touch-and-go and a mile around the track for PT does not have to be precisely one mile -- we can do it shorter or longer as necessary."

The above example is just one of several similar ones.

My squadron leaders don't seem to care if things are done as required nor do they appear to want to standardize the squadron. In this situation, what would you do and how would you do it?

I am open to all comments, opinions, and questions and look forward to hear them.
Thank you.

Eclipse

I would suggest discussing this in private with your parents at the table, and perhaps the next higher echelon as well.
If you've accurately framed the situation, you will not likely be able to effect (affect?) change by yourself.

You do realize that your name is in your sig, so this is not anonymous, right?

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Questions:

1.  This is your squadron you are talking about?
2.  What position do you have in the squadron?
3.  Why did your comments go ignored and the other SM's comments get heeded?

Options:

The simplest primary option is for you to get involvled in the cadet program.  Go the squadron commander and volunteer for the Deputy Commander for Cadets (DCC) job.

Then it is YOUR program and you can set the standard.

It is easy to see problems and complain....sometimes the fix is for you to make the fix.  If the current DCC does not know or is unwilling to learn his job it may be time to step in and take over....or maybe just assits.  Take on the Leadership Officer job and help out. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

davidsinn

Quote from: lordmonar on January 07, 2010, 06:09:55 PM
Questions:

1.  This is your squadron you are talking about?
2.  What position do you have in the squadron?
3.  Why did your comments go ignored and the other SM's comments get heeded?

Options:

The simplest primary option is for you to get involvled in the cadet program.  Go the squadron commander and volunteer for the Deputy Commander for Cadets (DCC) job.

Then it is YOUR program and you can set the standard.

It is easy to see problems and complain....sometimes the fix is for you to make the fix.  If the current DCC does not know or is unwilling to learn his job it may be time to step in and take over....or maybe just assits.  Take on the Leadership Officer job and help out.

According to his profile he's 15.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

lordmonar

That's what you get for making assumptions  :(

In that case.....you need to go to the DCC and point out what your concerns are.  Then go to the commander if they don't get worked out.  If that fails the wing commander or wing CP guy is the who you need to talk to.

Cutting corners on cadet progression issues are not a good thing.  Especially in the manner that you point out.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Sounds like my first unit!

Had similar issues - disengaged seniors, lack of supervision, pencil whipping, you name it. Sometimes I wonder how I ended up making (what I think) a decent cadet out of myself, certainly didn't have many role models.

But as a cadet, you won't have much of chance to change anything yourself. It took a change in leadership and new SMs to change my first unit to something I can now be proud of having on my resume.

Gunner C

I am impressed with your desire to do the program the right way.  CAP needs more members like you who have the moral courage to step up.  Remember:

Even though your unit is cutting corners, remain respectful. 

Find solutions before going forward with the problem.

No matter what the outcome is, use this situation as an opportunity to learn.  I'm almost 56 and I learn from interaction with others all the time.  Make sure you learn about people and what makes them work.

You have my respect. 

Spike

Quote from: Gunner C on January 07, 2010, 09:51:25 PM
Find solutions before going forward with the problem.

That is almost never necessary, nor waranted.  That would be like going to the police and saying "My wife shot our neighbor, I think you should arrest her, but only charge her with aggravated assault, and tell the DA that she deserves a 3 year suspended sentence".

Problems like what this Cadet is describing need to be presented to the chain of Command, and should the chain of command be the problem, then the Cadet should go higher. 

We all know those members who carry the regulations around with them everywhere they go, and can't wait to pull them out of their back pocket and throw them in the face of others.  That sounds like what this Cadet does.  Not saying it is bad, but after a while, people will specifically stay away from those "types" in fear that everything they do will be questioned and used against them in some way.   

IceNine

How many times does it need to be said that the regs don't have on/off switches.  You can't choose to follow one reg and neglect or ignore the others. It's all or nothing, if you can't or won't do it right then step away and let someone else work the program..

Presenting respectful pertinent information that would prove your current course of action is incorrect isn't cause for blame.  It's cause for you to review your process, and make adjustments.

I agree with Eclipse, this is cause for Mom and/or Dad, the cadet, and the squadron leadership to sit and have a discussion.  If that doesn't change then the next step is to move up to the next echelon and so on.

If nothing changes or no one cares in a reasonable amount of time process an IG complaint.

Continue down your current course, learn the program, conduct it correctly and sleep good at night.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

GoofyOne

With all due respect. Been there, done that and nothing changed.  I wish you good luck.

Rotorhead

Quote from: AvroArrow on January 07, 2010, 04:58:23 PM
(3) Through OPSEC, I'm going to keep things as vague as possible -
I see nothing in this thread related to OPSEC in any way.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

N Harmon

Quote from: AvroArrow on January 07, 2010, 04:58:23 PM"the shuttle run can be touch-and-go and a mile around the track for PT does not have to be precisely one mile -- we can do it shorter or longer as necessary."

Wow. Makes me wonder what other things they think can be changed "as necessary".

"Score on a leadership test doesn't have to be 70% -- we can make it more or less as necessary"
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

AvroArrow

After some hard thought and evaluation, I've come to a realization, one I should have probably had before: 

Not only are online forums poor places to express personal, local concerns but they're also not one's best source for help; someone 1500 miles away can't do nearly as much as someone who lives, for example, across the street.

At least I learned right?  ::)

DC

It's very difficult to give truly meaningful advice without knowing the specifics of the situation, and the people involved. You are correct that it is not appropriate to discuss such details on a public internet forum, hence the comments posted. At the end of the day, you are going to have to talk to someone local, probably someone in your higher Chain of Command.

N Harmon

Quote from: AvroArrow on January 11, 2010, 10:33:50 PM
After some hard thought and evaluation, I've come to a realization, one I should have probably had before: 

Not only are online forums poor places to express personal, local concerns but they're also not one's best source for help; someone 1500 miles away can't do nearly as much as someone who lives, for example, across the street.

At least I learned right?  ::)

You're welcome.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

AvroArrow

Quote from: DC on January 11, 2010, 11:08:53 PM
It's very difficult to give truly meaningful advice without knowing the specifics of the situation, and the people involved. You are correct that it is not appropriate to discuss such details on a public internet forum, hence the comments posted. At the end of the day, you are going to have to talk to someone local, probably someone in your higher Chain of Command.

Well, I never expected solid advice; none of us know each other personally. But I did have my expectations higher than what they should have been.

At least I finally woke up .

mynetdude

not surprising, I see similar things like this happen all the time. Does it make it ok? Nope, not much i can do about it.