How to encourage/require cadet executive staff to attend Wing activities

Started by xray328, August 10, 2015, 05:18:43 PM

BillB

One program I developed was to have a Cadet Professional Development Weekend. C/CMst and above was the target group for the training. The concept was to present the cadets with training by senior member staff on their duty assignments so cadets could get a better understanding of the objectives and missions of staff positions. It also included an afternoon session taught by Advanced AFROTC (not AFJROTC) cadets from the University on leadership. Since the average cadet has no idea what a senior members duties and responsibilities are, it broadens there understanding of how CAP operates. Many cadets know the functions of a PAO, or Admin Officer, but don't know what a Logistics officer, or even Historian do. Since it's a local or immediate area activity, cost is just lunch for the cadets (not an overnight activity unless done as a full weekend bivouac with rest rooms and mess facilities available. While the plans for this activity never went further, a followup activity would have included table top exercise in leadership problems taught by USAFR officers or retired USAF Officers field grade or above.
A program like this can be developed at the local level the the DCC or CC, but in my opinion NHQ should provide guidelines and a basic plan for such an activity.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Brit_in_CAP

Started a longer reply but here's the short version.

I try never to mandate but I do have a long talk with prospective cadets and SM about commitments and priorities - school first for cadets, family first for SM, time management etc.  I point out that you get back what you invest and more.  When we get to the stage of placing someone - cadet or SM - into a position, we (staff and prospective Whatever) have a serious talk about the time required for the job and talk about whether the person can do this at all, do it for a long time or do it only for a short time.  Decision based on the outcome.   

The reflection I use, as much for me as anyone else, is the experience I had when I was first selected to be a lay preacher in my church.  That was in the UK.  My supervising minister (parish priest) had me involved in **everything**, and I had zero family time as a result.  That led to me being ready to stop doing what I was doing!  We worked it out but, by contrast, the Warden, who mentored all of us in a geographical area, would ask any volunteer in his parish one question: what can you give me?  He then worked what was offered into the plan.  Gradually, people felt more willing to give more, or not base don their own talents and availability.

For me, that is a model that works.

YMMV, and just my few cents worth of comment!

vorteks

Quote from: BillB on August 11, 2015, 10:11:56 AM
Since the average cadet has no idea what a senior members duties and responsibilities are,

The same might be said about a lot of senior members, but I digress...   >:D

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: veritec on August 11, 2015, 01:46:44 PM
Quote from: BillB on August 11, 2015, 10:11:56 AM
Since the average cadet has no idea what a senior members duties and responsibilities are,

The same might be said about a lot of senior members, but I digress...   >:D

A lot of seniors don't understand cadet responsibilities. A lot of seniors don't understand each other's respective responsibilities.

A key part to learning how to do your job is learning what another job does. That doesn't mean completely cross-train and know the ins and outs of someone else's position, but to develop an understanding of the various roles that make an organization run effectively and efficiently.

I'm finding that in composite squadrons it is sometimes hard to get seniors to get out and do more. Cadets are generally pretty good once they're parents are on-board with the scheduling of an event. But a lot of composite squadrons, including my own, are very much cadet-oriented and really don't have a whole lot of senior activities for themselves.

Lead by example.

xray328

I'm a new Senior member and even newer in the role of assistant to the Deputy Commander of Cadets which is why I come on here to hear all sides and seek counsel before implementing anything. So I genuinely appreciate everyone's feedback.

In my opinion, if we sit down at the selection board and explain to a prospective executive cadet officer that we need them to lead by example and attend event x y and z, I think that's fair. If the cadet doesn't feel that they have the time or can't commit to that, that's perfectly fine. But the expectations have been laid out ahead of time.

In the same way, the responsibilities of my position were explained to me before I took the job. I accepted those and  will do my darnedest to do them to the best of my ability.

I plan on attending all and any events I ask my cadets to be at including fundraisers, encampments (training officer), or fun Wing level cadet initiatives. It's 3-4, events a year and while I understand that we are all volunteers, we also need to do what we can to support the organization and the roles we've chosen to take on.  In my opinion, cadet officers need to attend ATS/Zulu flights at encampments because it makes them better leaders at home. Part of what we do is to train them to be leaders, I think these advance leadership schools play an important role in that. And by my executive staff attending these it sets the example for the rest of the cadets.

Of course school comes first, but I just don't think 3 or 4 events a year that you know about months in advance is too much to ask from cadets that are being placed in some of the most important positions within the cadet side of the squadron.

SarDragon

Quote from: xray328 on August 11, 2015, 10:27:59 PM
In my opinion, if we sit down at the selection board and explain to a prospective executive cadet officer that we need them to lead by example and attend event x y and z, I think that's fair. If the cadet doesn't feel that they have the time or can't commit to that, that's perfectly fine. But the expectations have been laid out ahead of time.
As explained before, you cannot add requirements for promotion. If a cadet has completed the requirements, and fulfilled his duties properly, it is really hard to deny promotion because they haven't managed to attend any event(s) outside the unit.

QuoteOf course school comes first, but I just don't think 3 or 4 events a year that you know about months in advance is too much to ask from cadets that are being placed in some of the most important positions within the cadet side of the squadron.
Life doesn't work that way. I have had to cancel attendance at events that I have signed up for as much as a year in advance, because life events got in the way. You work with what you have, and move along.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

xray328

I totally agree, life happens. But when the squadron commander asks who's interested in going and no one raises their hand months in advance something's  wrong. It's happened three times in a row.

And I never suggested we hold promotion, that was a possible suggestion to me and I just said "so we hold promotion?"

But I do think we can put in in the job description as Cadet Commander (or anyone assigned to executive staff) . If you apply for and accept the position, there's no excuse (outside of "life" happening).  And I'm not unreasonable, I'm not saying you have to be at everyone but if I have a Commander, Deputy Commander and XO/First Sgt, someone among the three should be there, I don't care who as long as it's not the same one every time.

Again, to me it's about setting the example, as a Senior or a Cadet.

abdsp51

Read the cadet staff handbook.  You can not place additional requirements for people to promote or hold positions. 

xray328

Can you please tell me where it says that in the cadet staff handbook? I see several references to the executive staff promoting excellence and representing the core values. It also says the position descriptions can be modified as commanders see fit (appendix 1) as long as expectations are set in advance.

Every level also has the "must participate actively in unit activities" requirement as well.

abdsp51

If it's not in the regs, handbooks or manuals you can not do it.
And I hope that these "expectations" have been placed in writing and thatcis the only participation required unit activities .  Not group, wing, region etc. 

Read the governing regs and documents.  You can not put additional requirements for advancement or staffing.

xray328

What's this mean then?

"Commanders may adjust cadet position descriptions using common sense and good judgment. What is most important is that each cadet knows what is expected of him or her and receives some guidance as they begin their leadership assignment."

CAPP 52-15 Appendix 1

I'm not arguing, I'm looking for guidance.. If you can find a reg handbook or manual that says if you can't find it in the regs you can't do it I'd appreciate a reference.  Common sense and CPP applies of course.

I don't think requiring executive staff to attend one leadership training activity a year outside the squadron is unreasonable especially if that's explained during the interview.

abdsp51

Read the regs please.  You can not add additional requirements.

xray328

Which one? I referenced the one you stated and there's nothing in there that supports what you're saying. In fact it states the contrary. If there's a reg that supports what you're saying please share it.

First you said to read the 52-15, then you said if it's not in a reg handbook or manual you can't do it. Now your going back to read the regs, which is it?

This equates to do it because "they" said so...who's "they"? And where's this mysterious "reg"?

There's is simply no clear cut criteria for selecting a cadet commander or any other staff.  You can't add to something that doesn't exist. If you want to say "requiring that isn't a good idea because..." I'm down with that. But this "read the regs" deal (one you can't provide) isn't helpful.

If it exists, cool, no problem. But don't say it can't be done just because that's your opinion. 

Now on holding back a promotion, I totally agree. Promotions, for the most part, are you do x, y, z, you promote (of course it's still up to the squadron commander based on maturity etc). But when it comes to deciding who we select as cadet commander...there's a lot more that goes into it. 

The 52-15 states "Moreover, by conducting interviews you underline the fact that staff service is something that must be earned."

How does a cadet earn it? By simply going above and beyond what's required. I want that highly motivated, kick butt , take charge, and do what it takes individual.  Does that mean the cadet with a job, a girlfriend, and ten other things going on might not get selected? Sure.  But that applies to everything.

For instance, my son plays travel soccer. He also runs track, maintains a 4.7 GPA, coaches a rec team, has a gf, refs soccer games for some extra cash and several other things. As a result he doesn't play for the best soccer team in our area, and that's ok because he has too much going on outside of soccer to commit the time it requires to play at that level. Kids playing on the academy level clubs  have a soccer ball with them every chance they get, they go from school to the fields. They're either playing pick up games, or are at practices, or seeking out additional training. Soccer is their life, and as a result they play for the top teams. 

Same goes for CAP. Some kids are too busy with other things, and that's perfectly fine. But if you're going to be the best you can be at something you can't do it half way.  You can't say I want the top position, I want to be the best, but sorry I can't put in the time to achieve it.

abdsp51

The only requirements is active unit participation not group or above that is in 52-16.  If you make it a requirement then you as the CC or CDC then must foot the bill.  It's spelled out in 52-16 what is expected of cadets in the cadet program and for management of it. 

By nature of requiring "staff to participate" you are adding an additional requirement  which may impact their promotion. 

You can not mandate that your executive staff participate outside the unit to be on staff. 

You need to read the regs front to back across the board.  If it's not listed you can't do it that is common sense. But hey if you think I am wrong then please attempt to write a sup and get it approved by your wing and potentially region. 

Alaric

Quote from: xray328 on August 12, 2015, 12:23:53 AM
Can you please tell me where it says that in the cadet staff handbook? I see several references to the executive staff promoting excellence and representing the core values. It also says the position descriptions can be modified as commanders see fit (appendix 1) as long as expectations are set in advance.

Every level also has the "must participate actively in unit activities" requirement as well.

The unit is the squadron, not the Wing, which is why when asked for a unit its RRR-SS-XXX, cadets belong to squadrons and therefore must be active in that squadron, there is no onus on them to be active in Wing, Region, National activities above what is required for promotion (Encampment) and their own desires and budgets

xray328

Fair enough, thanks for clarifying.

That being said is there anything in the regs that state you can't require participation in x,y, or z if they want to be the commander for the purpose of setting the example?

Alaric

Quote from: xray328 on August 12, 2015, 12:01:34 PM
Fair enough, thanks for clarifying.

That being said is there anything in the regs that state you can't require participation in x,y, or z if they want to be the commander for the purpose of setting the example?

Only common sense, if you require such activities, you are limiting your leadership pool to those who have disposable time and money.  I wouldn't want to limit my squadron that way.  Also when inevitably a cadet complains up the chain of command (group, wing, etc) that they are being held back because their parents are working two jobs a piece and the cadet has a job and they don't have the money or time to go to x,y,z activity, you might have a problem.

xray328

That's true. So there's nothing we can do I guess except use prior attendances as a factor in the decision. 

TheSkyHornet

Quote"Commanders may adjust cadet position descriptions using common sense and good judgment. What is most important is that each cadet knows what is expected of him or her and receives some guidance as they begin their leadership assignment."

This essentially means that the duties and responsibilities of those positions, including the wording describing the responsibilities for that position, can be manipulated/modified in order to achieve the greatest effectiveness and efficiency within the particular unit. Some squadrons are so dramatic in size that the roles of those positions may need to be tweaked for the scope of that squadron.

Our Cadet Commander recently sat down with the cadet who will be replacing him next weekend after Change of Command, and the two of them reorganized the squadron and included a new flight into the structure. They rewrote the job descriptions of each position, including the weekly tasks each person needs to perform to meet the requirements of that job.

That would be "adjusting" the descriptions so that each cadet knows what they are expected to do.

I'm currently preparing to take on the responsibilities of Deputy Commander for Cadets, myself. I have some ways to go with it since I still need to get more accustomed with the ins and outs of cadet training requirements, but for now I'm staying on as the Leadership and Activities Officer, so I'm the closest one to the cadets aside from the Commander, who still tracks their promotions.

Eaker Guy

Quote from: xray328 on August 12, 2015, 04:51:30 AM
Which one? I referenced the one you stated and there's nothing in there that supports what you're saying. In fact it states the contrary. If there's a reg that supports what you're saying please share it.

First you said to read the 52-15, then you said if it's not in a reg handbook or manual you can't do it. Now your going back to read the regs, which is it?

This equates to do it because "they" said so...who's "they"? And where's this mysterious "reg"?

There's is simply no clear cut criteria for selecting a cadet commander or any other staff.  You can't add to something that doesn't exist. If you want to say "requiring that isn't a good idea because..." I'm down with that. But this "read the regs" deal (one you can't provide) isn't helpful.

If it exists, cool, no problem. But don't say it can't be done just because that's your opinion. 

Now on holding back a promotion, I totally agree. Promotions, for the most part, are you do x, y, z, you promote (of course it's still up to the squadron commander based on maturity etc). But when it comes to deciding who we select as cadet commander...there's a lot more that goes into it. 

The 52-15 states "Moreover, by conducting interviews you underline the fact that staff service is something that must be earned."

How does a cadet earn it? By simply going above and beyond what's required. I want that highly motivated, kick butt , take charge, and do what it takes individual.  Does that mean the cadet with a job, a girlfriend, and ten other things going on might not get selected? Sure.  But that applies to everything.

For instance, my son plays travel soccer. He also runs track, maintains a 4.7 GPA, coaches a rec team, has a gf, refs soccer games for some extra cash and several other things. As a result he doesn't play for the best soccer team in our area, and that's ok because he has too much going on outside of soccer to commit the time it requires to play at that level. Kids playing on the academy level clubs  have a soccer ball with them every chance they get, they go from school to the fields. They're either playing pick up games, or are at practices, or seeking out additional training. Soccer is their life, and as a result they play for the top teams. 

Same goes for CAP. Some kids are too busy with other things, and that's perfectly fine. But if you're going to be the best you can be at something you can't do it half way.  You can't say I want the top position, I want to be the best, but sorry I can't put in the time to achieve it.

To use your example, would your son be willing to drop one or two soccer games to participate at CAP? I play soccer to, and I am a C/CC. Sometimes I am reluctant to drop soccer if I know that the activity is already well staffed. Then again, I give advanced notice to my people so they aren't surprised. However, if the some of the staff dropped out right before the activity :(, of course I would do down to help. Also, there are some activities that I absolutely have to be at, and I would drop soccer in a heartbeat. Participation has to be used in context.

I absolutely agree that a cadet has to go above and beyond to earn the position of C/CC. I'll use my squadron as an example. The last C/CC and myself both joined at the same time. We both progressed at the same rate. He was a C/1sgt and I was Colors Element Leader/Leadership Officer. Neither of us held flight positions(e.g. flight sergeant, flight commander), and we both had gone above and beyond with regards to our participation at activities. Now, when it came to selecting the C/CC, the senior staff looked at participation at events, but looked at leadership quality more. Unfortunately, I was lacking this at the time. So, my friend got the job, even though I had participated at more activities. Again, participation in context. It shouldn't be the deciding factor, but a factor among many factors.

Although I agree that a C/CC should have a positive attitude, be careful if you mentor him/her to be a kick butt, take charge, no holds barred kind of cadet. As a C/DC I was this, but now as a C/CC I am the focal point for all the cadets. I need to be as rational and calm as I am motivated.

I have to pick and choose often. If it's a soccer team commitment, it's very hard to choose. However, if it is a get together with friends, the choice is pretty simple. CAP!!!!! Again, use participation in context.

Make sense?