Insubbordination

Started by badwolf, September 06, 2013, 01:39:46 PM

badwolf

Insubbordination

hi, im new here so if im in the wrong forum i apologize but I need some advice

I come from a small squadron and i am the current Cadet Commander, but the first sgt is resentful that he doesnt have the position because of his laziness, and in that respect refuses to do some simple things, thinks hes the boss, and when  he DOES do what hes told, he complains openly to cadets lower in rank and grade. for some reason the some of the senior members like him and have tried holding me back on my tests and blame "technical errors" which had cost me about four grades total, allowing him (the first sgt) to pass me up.
i was on his review board and i graded his attituide at "poor" and they told me i should change it as "theyre always volunteering for events (and no, they dont)

i just really need help as we cant afford to lose members thanks

abdsp51

Quote from: badwolf on September 06, 2013, 01:39:46 PM
Insubbordination

hi, im new here so if im in the wrong forum i apologize but I need some advice

I come from a small squadron and i am the current Cadet Commander, but the first sgt is resentful that he doesnt have the position because of his laziness, and in that respect refuses to do some simple things, thinks hes the boss, and when  he DOES do what hes told, he complains openly to cadets lower in rank and grade. for some reason the some of the senior members like him and have tried holding me back on my tests and blame "technical errors" which had cost me about four grades total, allowing him (the first sgt) to pass me up.
i was on his review board and i graded his attituide at "poor" and they told me i should change it as "theyre always volunteering for events (and no, they dont)

i just really need help as we cant afford to lose members thanks

Have you discussed any of this with your CDC if you are part of a composite squadron or the CC?  I would discuss it with him/her or them and out line the dynamic. 

For your testing are you relying solely on testing at your unit for the tests and are these being done online or on paper?  Your post indicates online testing but it is hard to say. 

If you sat on his review board and rated his attitude as poor what do you have to substantiate this rating and how much personal bias is there? 

To ultimately answer your question you need to talk with you CDC or CC depending upon which squadron type you belong to.  This should be your first step in resolving the issues.

Eclipse

1 - Calling out someone publicly and especially commanders and staff, is not only not cricket, but unprofessional and not in keeping with the cadet spirit. Doing it non-anonymously is just a bad idea.

2 - Cadet grades are not a race or a contest.  You need to concern yourself with your own performance, and not those of your peers.  As indicated above, you should be
doing your testing online, which will remove any question of nepotism or "technical errors".

3 - If you are the cadet commander and a staffer or other subordinate does not follow your directives, address it directly and in the context of the refusal immediately
and privately to your commander(s).   Do not involve histrionics or anything else unrelated to the specific issue of insubordination.

4 - If you believe you are being treated unfairly, then it might be time to involve your parents, since you characterize this as being as situation where a subordinate
is being favored over you to your detriment by seniors on staff.

5 - These types of "he-said / she-said" situations cannot generally be remediated on forums like this or in public, since we will never have the full story.

Advice appendix: Spelling counts, especially when you're making an accusation about someone else's performance. Punctuation and grammar as well.

"That Others May Zoom"