First Color Guard Performance

Started by arajca, September 24, 2012, 04:16:00 PM

BillB

Reading the Army, Navy and Air Force drill manuals, I find no reference to "battle port". Looks like a Florida Wing thing that is not authorized for color guard competition. In reading the Florida Wing Color Guard material produced by Major Leali, (both versions) I also find no reference to it.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Extremepredjudice

The term "battle port" and "proper port" was taught to me by AF Honor Guardsmen (and women)....

Quote from: PA Guy on September 26, 2012, 05:41:01 AM
Seems to me that cadets who wish to participate in HG should master the Manual of Arms prior to trying to do all the fancy stuff taught at HGA since those movements derive their origin from the basic movements. I have seldom seen a CAP color guard or HG that has mastered the basic movements, they are more interested in doing the trick stuff. It is like doing innovative drill before mastering basic drill.
That is why I practice every day. I start with basic facing movements, then parade rest, ceremonial at ease, right/left shoulder, port arms, present arms, etc. Once I have done those a few dozen times each (In a mirror, of course) I move onto the "fancy" stuff.

I don't teach people the "fancy" stuff until they can do all the basics properly with a good level of consistency.

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

abdsp51

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 26, 2012, 02:49:44 PM
The term "battle port" and "proper port" was taught to me by AF Honor Guardsmen (and women)....

Quote from: PA Guy on September 26, 2012, 05:41:01 AM
Seems to me that cadets who wish to participate in HG should master the Manual of Arms prior to trying to do all the fancy stuff taught at HGA since those movements derive their origin from the basic movements. I have seldom seen a CAP color guard or HG that has mastered the basic movements, they are more interested in doing the trick stuff. It is like doing innovative drill before mastering basic drill.
That is why I practice every day. I start with basic facing movements, then parade rest, ceremonial at ease, right/left shoulder, port arms, present arms, etc. Once I have done those a few dozen times each (In a mirror, of course) I move onto the "fancy" stuff.

I don't teach people the "fancy" stuff until they can do all the basics properly with a good level of consistency.

Again their is no such terms in the manuals that cover armed drill they taught you wrong period. The only reasonable explanation  is that they are using in house terms period.  Read the fms