First Color Guard Performance

Started by arajca, September 24, 2012, 04:16:00 PM

arajca

On Sat, 22 Sept, the Evergreen (CO) Squadron Color Guard had it's first public performance.

RMRCO188 ColorGrd MtnBwl2012

Not bad for the first time. Yes, I did notice some minor issues that will improve with more practice and time.

Jon Knapp

As you said not bad for a first performance.  :clap: However, I would say that your guardsmen men rifles in present arms are too high...it top of the forearm of the rifle is supposed to be level with the guardsmen eyes.
Jonathan D. Knapp, C/1st Lt, CAP
Cadet Deputy Commander, MER-NC-800

Extremepredjudice

Critique:

Why are they touching? Definitely not close interval. 
Their rifles are to high when presenting.
Left Guard's belt is to loose.
Junior flag needs to stop looking around
It could just be me, but it looks like the junior flag is presenting arms the whole time....
Junior flag needs to stop moving the flag around so much
They could lift their legs a bit higher, but that is very nit-picky.
Flags are supposed to be straight. Not tilted.

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Jon Knapp

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 24, 2012, 09:16:10 PM
Critique:

Why are they touching? Definitely not close interval. 
Their rifles are to high when presenting.
Left Guard's belt is to loose.
Junior flag needs to stop looking around
It could just be me, but it looks like the junior flag is presenting arms the whole time....
Junior flag needs to stop moving the flag around so much
They could lift their legs a bit higher, but that is very nit-picky.
Flags are supposed to be straight. Not tilted.

Agreed.
Jonathan D. Knapp, C/1st Lt, CAP
Cadet Deputy Commander, MER-NC-800

Danger

Junior Flag should be straight up. Very noticeable that it isn't.
"Never take anything too seriously."

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Danger on September 24, 2012, 09:24:47 PM
Junior Flag should be straight up. Very noticeable that it isn't.
Same with the US flag.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

arajca

Most of these have been discussed this evening at our meeting. The color guard had been told to tilt the flags when marching, and that the state flag should be tilted more than the American flag. Obviously wrong, but it has been addressed.

Extremepredjudice

Flags should be vertical. It is a sign of disrespect for the US flag to dip.

State should only dip for presenting arms.

For color guard presenting arms, the junior flag extends his right arm to full extension, (but doesn't push his should forward) and puts his left hand on his cup (left hand moves on the count of 3).This is a 3 count movement.

For guards, if they are at BATTLE port, they should count to 2, and then move to present.
If they are at right shoulder, they will normally go to present arms (no change)

PM me if you have any questions. I do color guard all the time.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

PA Guy

What is the source document for the Manual of Arms used by CAP colorguards? What is the difference between "BATTLE port" and port arms?

abdsp51

There is an Army FM for use in the manual of arms.  If you have a local AF base contact their Honor Guard for help.  Outside of the height difference and some minor things it was a good job for a first performance.

Extremepredjudice

AF honor guards will teach you honor guard stuff. Which is completely different.

Quote from: PA Guy on September 25, 2012, 07:05:33 AM
What is the source document for the Manual of Arms used by CAP colorguards? What is the difference between "BATTLE port" and port arms?
battle port, you lift the rifle up, align it to your left shoulder, grab with your left hand, then with your right grab lower. 2 count movement.

Proper port (AKA, honor guard) you lift the rifle up and align, left eye, roght thigh. Grab with left hand, bring right hand down, grab (if you are doing honor guard you flair when bringing your right hand down) . This is a 2 count movement with an "and" count

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

abdsp51

It's called port arms not battle port.

abdsp51

For more info out of AFMAN36-2203

1.1.2. Units or organizations required to drill under arms will use the procedures in US Army Field
Manual 22-5, SECNAV 5060.22, or USAF Academy Cadet Wing Manual 50-5
. The types of weapon
used will determine the appropriate manual.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: abdsp51 on September 25, 2012, 01:47:34 PM
It's called port arms not battle port.
It is by convention. But it is formally battle port and proper port

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

abdsp51

Negative all sources say port arms. 

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: abdsp51 on September 25, 2012, 09:46:06 PM
Then what do you call the 2 different versions of port arms?

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

abdsp51

There is one port arms per the sources cite, read them.  In competition or exhibition drill you may modify the execution of the command.  Per  US Army Field Manual 22-5 and SECNAV 5060.22 there is one port arms which is to be utilized during armed drill per AFMAN36-2203.  And this is all they need for basic color guard and that is the proper term and command.   

SarDragon

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 26, 2012, 01:23:43 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on September 25, 2012, 09:46:06 PM
Then what do you call the 2 different versions of port arms?

Many moons ago, there were two variations, both called port arms. The singular difference was the height of the hands. In the older, higher version, the left hand was almost at shoulder level. In the newer, lower version, the right hand is just above waist level, and the right forearm is almost parallel to the ground.

This info is via USN recruit training, circa 1969. The change occurred sometime in 1968.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PA Guy

Seems to me that cadets who wish to participate in HG should master the Manual of Arms prior to trying to do all the fancy stuff taught at HGA since those movements derive their origin from the basic movements. I have seldom seen a CAP color guard or HG that has mastered the basic movements, they are more interested in doing the trick stuff. It is like doing innovative drill before mastering basic drill.

As far as the term "battle port" I have been unable to find any reference to it in the cited source documents. Is it in a HGA document?  Teaching the standard also means using the correct terminology. People on here have gotten upset when the term "cover" has been used to refer to cap, same thing applies.

abdsp51

Quote from: PA Guy on September 26, 2012, 05:41:01 AM
Seems to me that cadets who wish to participate in HG should master the Manual of Arms prior to trying to do all the fancy stuff taught at HGA since those movements derive their origin from the basic movements. I have seldom seen a CAP color guard or HG that has mastered the basic movements, they are more interested in doing the trick stuff. It is like doing innovative drill before mastering basic drill.

As far as the term "battle port" I have been unable to find any reference to it in the cited source documents. Is it in a HGA document?  Teaching the standard also means using the correct terminology. People on here have gotten upset when the term "cover" has been used to refer to cap, same thing applies.

Exactly.  And a base level honor guard can teach basic manual of arms and color guard technique without the added flair.  There is also a good demo of technique on capmembers.com under the cadet prorams link, library and then drill and ceremonies.  This also has great examples of retreat and raising/lowering the flag as well.